Defense is still average

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent points! Sad to say that most of the fans just don't see this, and keep asking what is wrong with the defense.

Before Yesterday Jerry Hughes one sack, Kyle Williams one sack, Marcell Dareus one sack, Mario Williams three sacks in seven games. After yesterday Jerry Hughes getting two sacks he now has three sacks, and nobody else had a sack.

Kyle Williams isn't Pat Williams, and one is a space eater while the other is a quicker, faster gap penetrator. The same thing with Dareus, as the team didn't spend a #3 overall pick on the guy hoping he is a pure gap controller. If you ask a DE that weighs 254 lbs to constantly take on a 300+ lb OT, and perhaps be chipped by the TE, RB he won't ever get to the QB. Because that same thing is happening on the other side to the heavier 292 lb DE.

That wide nine defense put Hughes, Mario on the outside of the OT's shoulder which gave them a faster path to the QB, and made the offense spread out. Thus leaving wider gaps in the line, and when the LBers stepped up to plug those gaps pre snap the O linemen don't know who is coming and who isn't. This scheme clearly allowed the defense to get more pressure on the QB more often while also helping the secondary because the QB was forced to make reads faster, and get the ball out faster. Thus forcing the QB prone to making more mistakes.

Except when they throw screens right over the top of this. The d-line reads the rb screens better and we dont give up 30 first downs. If the linebackers can tackle landry and miller in the flats, we completely negate their game plan.

i'm going to hang my hat on Jason Taylor's comments.

he said rex's defense was the most complicated and took the longest for him to master.

the bills defense will keep getting better.

But it's not getting better...wrong scheme for the wrong players - he is wasting our season.

How does this work in the off-season? - We let half our our defensive starters go because they aren't the right type of players or his scheme? What does that do to our salary cap? Why waste all the $ money on Hughes and Dareus?

Why are there execution issues? The players still at week 10 don't know the calls and how to line up in time - that is on the coaches; the players are thinking and not playing. Rex wasted this season and if he doesn't focus on designing plays for our strengths, he will waste the next couple seasons trying to dump our D players to find those who fit his scheme. It will be another 3 years before we get the right players and possibly clear all the dead cap $ from our books.

Nothing wrong with keeping the Wide 9 and adding wrinkles here and there. Slowly introduce your concepts based on the team.

Pettine turned around the crap Wanny D in no time. Schwartz fixed Pettine's run issues and the D was even better. Ryan pushing his family legacy on us has regressed this defense tremendously...

Just for argument's sake, the Bills gave up 17 points yesterday. The defense we all long for, last year's, gave up an average of 18.1. 17 points against would have been second in the league.

Granted, I agree we didn't play great or maybe even good defense yesterday, and I know it was the Dolphins (although they have put up 30 a game under Campbell), but the whole object is to keep them out of the endzone, and 17 points is not only good, it's great. We give up 17 every week and we likely go 14-2.

Just for argument's sake, the Bills gave up 17 points yesterday. The defense we all long for, last year's, gave up an average of 18.1. 17 points against would have been second in the league.

Granted, I agree we didn't play great or maybe even good defense yesterday, and I know it was the Dolphins (although they have put up 30 a game under Campbell), but the whole object is to keep them out of the endzone, and 17 points is not only good, it's great. We give up 17 every week and we likely go 14-2.

Not meeting the egregiously high expectations of Bills Nation = failure.

If only Bills fans could remember three short years ago. We've been spoiled. Even 2013 wasn't that great. They were an unmitigated sieve against the run.

I have felt like teams have gone the length of the field on us much more this season so I have been back to 2014 and compared the number of 70 yard plus drives teams have had on us.

In the first 8 games of 2014 we had faced 10 70 yard plus drives.

In the first 8 games this season we have faced 15 70 yard plus drives.

If only Bills fans could remember three short years ago. We've been spoiled. Even 2013 wasn't that great. They were an unmitigated sieve against the run.

Yeah.....because Bills fans have EGREGIOUSLY HIGH expectations versus all other fan bases.

Do you hear yourself?

Wake the hell up......this team has missed the playoffs the past 15 seasons......the GOAL of this fanbase is just to make the playoffs for chrissake. :doh:

The expectation to not get MUCH worse defensively is hardly an egregious expectation.

Expectations set by the HC and previous year.

Edited by FireChan

And the year before that...

Your memory fails you.

Expectations set by the HC and previous year.

And a defense that's now without both safeties and its starting, run-stuffing MLB.

Yeah.....because Bills fans have EGREGIOUSLY HIGH expectations versus all other fan bases.

Do you hear yourself?

Wake the hell up......this team has missed the playoffs the past 15 seasons......the GOAL of this fanbase is just to make the playoffs for chrissake. :doh:

The expectation to not get MUCH worse defensively is hardly an egregious expectation.

I love when Bills fans get called out on their bullish negativity and this is their response. Every time.

IT'S BEEN 15 YEARS! I GET TO WHINE AND MOAN AND FIRE MYSELF UP BECAUSE 15 YEARS! IT'S MY RIGHT AS A BILLS FAN TO HAVE UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS AND SHOUT AT ANYTHING LISTENING BECAUSE 15 YEARS! REX RYAN SHOULD BE FIRED BECAUSE 15 YEARS!

Your memory fails you.

And a defense that's now without both safeties and its starting, run-stuffing MLB.

I love when Bills fans get called out on their bullish negativity and this is their response. Every time.

IT'S BEEN 15 YEARS! I GET TO WHINE AND MOAN AND FIRE MYSELF UP BECAUSE 15 YEARS! IT'S MY RIGHT AS A BILLS FAN TO HAVE UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS AND SHOUT AT ANYTHING LISTENING BECAUSE 15 YEARS! REX RYAN SHOULD BE FIRED BECAUSE 15 YEARS!

Starting run-stuffing MLB? Without both safeties? What?

Starting run-stuffing MLB? Without both safeties? What?

What role have Searcy, Williams and Spikes played this season that they played last year?

Am I in La La land or has Duke !@#$ing Williams been 15 feet from every defensive disaster that's befallen this team this year? Am I crazy or our linebackers nowhere to be found? Is it the exact same defense or do we have four new starters this year? This notion that the defense should produce precisely as it did in 2014 because the personnel is precisely the same is entirely, utterly and unequivocally false.

Am I pleased with the defense playing average? Hell no.

What role have Searcy, Williams and Spikes played this season that they played last year?

Am I in La La land or has Duke !@#$ing Williams been 15 feet from every defensive disaster that's befallen this team this year? Am I crazy or our linebackers nowhere to be found? Is it the exact same defense or do we have four new starters this year? This notion that the defense should produce precisely as it did in 2014 because the personnel is precisely the same is entirely, utterly and unequivocally false.

Am I pleased with the defense playing average? Hell no.

Lol like the 2014 defense didn't lose Byrd and Kiko from the year before? Like Brown, Graham, and Searcy weren't brand new starters last year?

Spikes played <30% of snaps. I'm sure he'd be the difference right now. Especially because he's such a great coverage LB. lol.

Edited by FireChan

Your point?

My point is you could make the exact same excuses last year, except last year you didn't have to because the defense wasn't ****.

Rex, the great defensive coach lost a safety! Time to pack it in, no way to do anything after losing a safety.

Edited by FireChan