Defense is still average

I dunno - I watched Muhammed Wilkerson on the other side (a GREAT and highly underrated player) and saw him making the plays that he made the last few years for Rex. What about his game is different from, say, Mario's? He was a playmaking machine last night, but he was a playmaking machine for Rex too.

Build.

Wilkerson and Richardson are tall DT's that just happen to have vines for arms.

Their base allows them to anchor and their arms allow them to hold off OT's and then quickly disengage.

Perfect physical specimens for a 3-4 DE.

I thought the pressure was pretty meager, actually. It's been a running problem all season, and it wasn't better last night. To be fair, Fitz has the lowest sack rate in the league at present.

Yeah the pressure was pretty weak. Fitz was holding the ball longer than usual and trying to go deep too. The coverage was on point from Gilmore and Darby and Fitz kept throwing at them. Robey didn't play as well but he could have used some safety help on that TD.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the pressure was pretty meager, actually. It's been a running problem all season, and it wasn't better last night. To be fair, Fitz has the lowest sack rate in the league at present.

We got enough pressure. As a fan, you always want more. But without Mario and Kyle plus as you said Fitz throw quick they did enough.

If we lost the offense would have been the problem as they got too conservative in the second half.

Build.

Wilkerson and Richardson are tall DT's that just happen to have vines for arms.

Their base allows them to anchor and their arms allow them to hold off OT's and then quickly disengage.

Perfect physical specimens for a 3-4 DE.

Yeah the pressure was pretty weak. Fitz was holding the ball longer than usual and trying to go deep too. The coverage was on point from Gilmore and Darby and Fitz kept throwing at them. Robey didn't play as well but he could have used some safety help on that TD.

Check out what this piece says about Wilkerson's 85.25" wingspan: http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/columns/story?columnist=cimini_rich&id=6355551 .

Mario's wingspan is 83" despite being 2 inches taller than Wilkerson. And 83" isn't short.

Edited by dave mcbride

We got enough pressure. As a fan, you always want more. But without Mario and Kyle plus as you said Fitz throw quick they did enough.

If we lost the offense would have been the problem as they got too conservative in the second half.

I thought the pressure came in spurts.....there were times in this game when Fitz was getting hit on every play.....then there were times we didnt get close

but

As we know with Fitz....he is hard to sack because he gets rid of the ball so quick

Check out what this piece says about Wilkerson's 85.25" wingspan: http://sports.espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/columns/story?columnist=cimini_rich&id=6355551 .

Mario's wingspan is 83" despite being 2 inches taller than Wilkerson. And 83" isn't short.

Ryan definitely left behind much better scheme fits on the DL when he left the Jets.

Mario is kind of a hybirid pass rusher/4-3 edge setter.

He's about 30# short of being a great fit as a 3-4 DE.

I thought the pressure came in spurts.....there were times in this game when Fitz was getting hit on every play.....then there were times we didnt get close

I also thought that. When he held onto it I thought the pressure was getting there - even if not sacking him much but later in the game we seemed to either dial it back or simply were not getting home.

Actually I know teams are playing the Bills differently and it is in part because of what Rex is presenting them.

People act like BB and the Pats game planned for the wide 9..........they game planned for Rex D! :doh:

And even if you think the problem is two-fold......which one of those things can Rex do something about?

Rex needs to make adjustments to get this DL more involved as playmakers and his LB's less involved.....otherwise it will be more mediocrity.

Of course teams will plan for the D the Bills are currently playing, not sure why anyone would think differently. However , our players are good enough for Ryan's scheme to work. It's pointless to endlessly harp on something that isn't going to happen ( the return of the Schwartz D) . Every coach in the NFL does what they do because that's what they believe in. As you pointed out with Dareus ( not being patient in run D) the problems our LB s have had have been mental errors and technique . This could be that as you stated they are "used to " doing something else. But those are correctable errors, not a lack of talent to run the scheme. The LBs will be fine if they just do their job as they are asked, the same goes for Dareus, last years scheme is gone , they need to play this years correctly. I think they can do it and do it well. Just a matter of time, and execution. I don't think they need new players, unless some are just unwilling to play their role correctly. That's not the same as saying they are not able.

I think meager is the right word.

Really need to load up on LBs this off season. (Separate thought not related to my comment above)