Defense is still average

Do we know where this team ranked in different categories through eight games last year?

This would be very important to the conversation.

In fact, without knowing it for sure, the conversation isn't really worth having.

-Note that our bye week was week 9 last year.

Week 8 2014

Even though they lost their defensive coordinator this offseason, the Bills defense has not lost a step. They're in or around the top 10 in most key defensive categories

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000414360/article/week-8-waiver-wire-streaming-defenses-to-target

Buffalo leads the league with 24 sacks and ranked 4th in run defense.

http://fantasyteamadvice.com/week-8-defense-special-teams-rankings-2014-fantasy-football/

Buffalo’s D has also avoided costly big plays, ranking fourth in yards allowed per play (5.1).

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/10/21/power-ranking-top-10-nfl-defenses-heading-into-week-8/

Week 7 2014

The Bills, very quietly, are 5th in the NFL in total fantasy points for dsts. Aside from this weeks disaster against the Patriots, the Bills D has been stellar. They have the number 1 run defense in the NFL and are in the top ten for average points per game. They are also second in the league with 19 sacks.

http://fantasyteamadvice.com/week-7-defense-special-teams-rankings-2014-fantasy-football/

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So better in every category last year? Sounds about right.

I don't think a single person has argued that the defense in 2015 is as good or better than 2014.

The degree to which they are "worse," however, is highly debatable. A nuance (to borrow your own term) you conveniently ignored.

I don't think a single person has argued that the defense in 2015 is as good or better than 2014.

The degree to which they are "worse," however, is highly debatable. A nuance (to borrow your own term) you conveniently ignored.

Where did I ignore it? Have I ever ignored how much worse it is? Show me BC. You're the king of not making things up, remember?

The only takeaway you offered was "better."

You're not as dense as you pretend to be sometimes.

Oh, so I didnt specify how much better, as if that matters when claiming that it was better?

If your body temperature 101 or 104, does that change the fact that you have a fever?

Many of those numbers are significant differences. The PPG and TOPG in particular. You might not think 3 PPG is significant, but in a league where most games are decided by a FG or less that is often times the difference. And there is no more significant stat than turnovers, and they avaeraged twice as many last year which had a lot to do with the pass rush and the disruption it caused.

I find it funny that you think those numbers support your point. You just made the case for everybody who was saying there were fairly significant differences.

As do I. However, the refs didn't mess up the ensuing plays that resulted in a TD.

You do realize that one play from one game is not indicative of the entire defense?

Of course, it's just an example. There are too many on this board making sweeping generalizations to verify their theory, wrap it with a bow and conclude with the folly that a new coach/ system will be immediately brought in. I'm just judging the D from what I see and logic. It's understandable that there will be some snags when installing a new system. I'm just seeing guys taking themselves out of a play by being too aggressive , and using poor technique frequently. I'm not going to assume that they must have been given too much " ground to cover" or other nonsense as no scheme would defeat itself. The more likely thing is that for various reasons ( poor technique / execution , confusion , not maintaining ones responsibility. Just your question about one play shows an amazing need to over simply . It's likely not that simple, but caused by multiple factors on different plays in various games. This defense has been successful with ( supposedly) less talented players. So I won't assume it's a lack of talent and say our guys can't possibly execute this defense well. I think they can improve and get this thing down just by doing their own job and playing with better technique. Everyone acts as though they know exactly what each guy is being asked to do, and they really don't .

It's worth noting that the 2014 TO number is significantly skewed by the 6 takeaways in NYJ1.

You're taking a sample size of 8 games. Any really bad or really good game is going to scew all of those stats.

Edited by MDH

Of course, it's just an example. There are too many on this board making sweeping generalizations to verify their theory, wrap it with a bow and conclude with the folly that a new coach/ system will be immediately brought in. I'm just judging the D from what I see and logic. It's understandable that there will be some snags when installing a new system. I'm just seeing guys taking themselves out of a play by being too aggressive , and using poor technique frequently. I'm not going to assume that they must have been given too much " ground to cover" or other nonsense as no scheme would defeat itself. The more likely thing is that for various reasons ( poor technique / execution , confusion , not maintaining ones responsibility. Just your question about one play shows an amazing need to over simply . It's likely not that simple, but caused by multiple factors on different plays in various games. This defense has been successful with ( supposedly) less talented players. So I won't assume it's a lack of talent and say our guys can't possibly execute this defense well. I think they can improve and get this thing down just by doing their own job and playing with better technique. Everyone acts as though they know exactly what each guy is being asked to do, and they really don't .

I think we'll have our "proof" when we draft and sign FAs. It will be telling, IMO.

Also, I trust bandit's, Badol's and K-9's football knowledge over just about anyone's. A ounce of their speculation is worth more than a pound of someone else's.

Edited by FireChan

@LRiddickESPN

Simple, straight-forward 4 man rush/man coverage schemes used by #Bills defense last wk vs Miami. Rex letting his players play. Smart move.

although the Bills were rushing 4, it was a controlled rush from big splits. i didn't re-watch the entire 2nd half, but i didn't see one line stunt in the first. the pass would have been out before they exchanged lanes

They also weren't facing a team with the caliber of offense as the Bengals. Or the Giants for that matter. The team that had a good QB, the Chargers, carved them up pretty good. In the Lions game, Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush both hurt their ankles early and didn't play. The Jets scored 23 but we abused them in offense so that was an easy game. The Fitz led Texans sucked. The Bears were awful last year. The Vikes hadn't got going and didn't have Peterson.