If Cassel plays decently, is that it for Whaley?

Is there any evidence that Ryan & Whaley disagreed on Cassel ? Or is it just Bflo News reporters surmising that there is a rift???

Schefter said so, and he seems to have in an in with every important agent. He's usually reliable.

Rex's agent is Jimmy Sexton. For those who remember the Marrone divorce, they'll recall that Schefter was getting info from Marrone's agent -- the same Jimmy Sexton.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're partially right except they don't do it continually like EJ was doing. Myself, I don't consider it the least of his problems since he didn't correct it after the first pick. But with all EJ's faults it's hard to tag a "least".

I have been willing to be patient with EJ but pretty much my patience ran out yesterday. He clearly does not have the mental ability to handle the speed of the NFL game. Looking off receivers, recognizing blitzes, feeling the pressure and moving away, not being able to throw a pass away on a critical down, staring receivers, the odd horrible throw. I know I've missed some and at times he does better at all these things but really he can't seem to put them all together correctly with any consistency. His mental process/plan/decision making is not there.

I am glad they got rid of Cassel. The Pittsburgh preseason game spoke volumes about all 3 QB's IMO. Manuel may have failed us but I'm glad we took that chance over Meh.

I do think TT has a mild sprain, maybe the MCL as has been reported. I think Rex is trying to get him some rest through the bye week in hopes he'll be more effective when heeled up. Certainly wasn't expecting a loss in London though!

On the play in question, what was worse than staring down the receiver was holding the ball too long. EJ seems to fear "throwing the receiver open." Which is what Brady did against the Bills. But to do that, you and the receiver have to know exactly where the intersection point is and that requires pinpoint accuracy. If EJ had either of those attributes, staring down would hardly matter, which is why I said it was the least of his problems and not that it was no problem. Edited by yungmack

Sometimes those type of games need to happen to build character, and light a fire. It would be completely different if EJ continued to suck all game like Geno, and instead fought his way back outta that huge hole he dug himself. Fans might even be more forgiving had the defense not allowed Bortles that last TD.

Not all QB's develop at the same pace, and some take more then four years to completely develop to a starting level QB. EJ still has the arm, and physical tools so it is still possible for him to improve with the mental aspect. EJ did seem to look a whole lot better when he had less time to think while running the hurry up offense. Then remember his first two seasons were with the mutt & Jeff show.

I can only think that the entire offense would be better without all the injuries, and with a better line. Then both those young QB's might look a lot better.

I would agree with you if he was a rookie or it was one or two dumb mistakes. Even in the second half EJ had time and held the ball too long and was indecisive so I can't pin it on the O line. It is good he kept going and played better in the second half but he is not a rookie and he really failed badly. So many different mistakes, I just can't excuse that or chalk it up to a character building game.

On the play in question, what was worse than staring down the receiver was holding the ball too long. EJ seems to fear "throwing the receiver open." Which is what Brady did against the Bills. But to do that, you and the receiver have to know exactly where the intersection point is and that requires pinpoint accuracy. If EJ had either of those attributes, staring down would hardly matter, which is why I said it was the least of his problems and not that it was no problem.

I understand where you're coming from and can't say which matters more, we just look at it slightly differently.

Still trying to figure out why we kept Boobie Dixon over Fred and Bryce. He has had 2 big special teams plays since coming here and that is it. Even if you rule out Fred for being 34 Bryce had far more upside potential than Dixon.

I cannot forsee them cutting ties with Whaley either.

What team does Bryce play for?

I'm sure the Buffalo Sportswriters are coming up with some lame excuse as to why Cassel is still the next coming of Kurt Warner.

What a horrendous performance. It's laughable that the BN is making such a big deal about the Bills trading away a player who stinks up the league.

If they cannot see after today that EJ is head and shoulders above Cassel then theyre living in their own fantasy world.

But I guess any reason to trash Buffalo's front office they'll hook onto it.

Pathetic

Has anybody considered the possibility that all the $hit the Bills were doing two months ago (rumors that the staff loved Cassel, sheltering him in preseason games, cutting/re-signing him at half the price, dressing him as the back-up) were nothing more than an effort to drive up his trade value so some sucker would toss us a 5th rounder for him? 0:)