Boobie Dixon-Anthony Thomas redux

Another case of guy playing because his old coach -- Roman -- is comfortable with him? He is just a terrible RB -- as was A-Train when he played for Jauron's Bills (3.27 yards per carry in 143 lead-footed carries over 2 seasons). He has 15 carries for 19 yards, and appears to run a 5.4 40. Plus he's 28 - I don't know what that is in RB dog years, but it's a lot. What did Bryce Brown do to get exiled from the team?

Edited by dave mcbride

Another case of guy playing because his old coach -- Roman -- is comfortable with him? He is just a terrible RB -- as was A-Train when he played for Jauron's Bills (3.27 yards per carry in 143 lead-footed carries over 2 seasons). He has 15 carries for 19 yards, and appears to run a 5.4 40. Plus he's 28 - I don't know what that is in RB dog years, but it's a lot. What did Bryce Brown do to get exiled from the team?

What did he ever do to make people think he deserves to be on this team?

He exiled himself by not taking the job when it was being given right to him, and by not listening to coaches when they try to teach him how to hold onto the football

Brown?

1) fail to develop ball security as coached by his boss (RB coach Anthony Lynn)

2) fail to play special teams

I don't think Dixon is playing because Roman is comfortable with him. I think he's playing because all the guys ahead of him on the depth chart are hurt, and he performs 1) & 2) above.

Ha - maybe you're right. Seriously, though, why didn't they go after him instead of Herron? Herron had a bad fumble yesterday too, although the Bills recovered it.

Yes, I noticed neither Herron nor Moore were "all that" with ball security. But Lynn probably still has hope he can coach Herron up on that point.

Brown?

1) fail to develop ball security as coached by his boss (RB coach Anthony Lynn)

2) fail to play special teams

I don't think Dixon is playing because Roman is comfortable with him. I think he's playing because all the guys ahead of him on the depth chart are hurt, and he performs 1) & 2) above.

Yes, I noticed neither Herron nor Moore were "all that" with ball security. But Lynn probably still has hope he can coach Herron up on that point.

I also think that when Dixon is in there, the defense gets a real break. At least Brown is a player that defenses have to account for -- he can beat people and get to the next level. Dixon simply can't. He is a terrible halfback, and I don't even think he can outrun 310 lb. nose tackles.

Brown may prefer to sign elsewhere. We don't know if the Bills reached out to him or not. Whaley said they were open to bringing him back when asked. Brown and his agent may feel that he should wait to get another opportunity as RBs are getting hurt around the league on s weekly basis. He already knows the Bills coaching staff doesn't like how he plays based on their comments. He knows he would only play until Karlos returns which could be any day. He could very well be looking for a fresh start.

Wouldn't it be ironic if he signed with the Chefs now that Charles is hurt?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Brown may prefer to sign elsewhere. We don't know if the Bills reached out to him or not. Whaley said they were open to bringing him back when asked. Brown and his agent may feel that he should wait to get another opportunity as RBs are getting hurt around the league on s weekly basis. He already knows the Bills coaching staff doesn't like how he plays based on their comments. He knows he would only play until Karlos returns which could be any day. He could very well be looking for a fresh start.

Wouldn't it be ironic if he signed with the Chefs now that Charles is hurt?

Excellent point - I should have thought of that possibility. Didn't Brown play for Reid in Philly?

Btw, Freddie has 10 carries for 52 yards (behind an equally poor and possibly worse o-line) and 10 receptions for 103 yards and a TD. How is Dixon better than him?!? And I don't think ST should be the determining factor on who makes the roster.

Edited by dave mcbride

Dixon is a fun guy and is above average on special teams...but he is not good enough to be on this team and should never run the ball ever again. I said it when they got rid of Fred: what happens if McCoy gets hurt? We already knew he had a nagging hamstring going into the season. Leaving only 1 capable yet unproven RB (Karlos) behind him who also happens to be a rookie is a bad idea. Fred should have been on this team, especially if they were planning on getting rid of Bryce Brown as well

I don't think Roman harbors any illusions about Boobie's ability as a RB and that's why a guy who was signed on Wednesday took the snap on the second offensive play and had more total carries.

I also don't think that fumbling is the main issue that's keeping Brown off rosters. I think the guy is plainly football dumb and doesn't listen to coaches. He may have the talent, but he's not reliable or coachable. Add in no contributions to ST, weak in pass protection and too many negative plays. Again, he got pulled for Boobie when he had a wide open chance last year.

It should when you're the #2 or #3 RB.

I think the question really is whether you want an actual RB at the #3 spot or a ST middle-of-the-scrum grinder masquerading as a professional RB holding down the position. I'll take the former. In my view, Dixon is a net negative on the offensive side of the ball. He brings nothing to the table because he's so slow, and allows defenses to key more on the real threats, such as they are.

Edited by dave mcbride

That's such a superficial assessment. Obviously no one is happy Dixon is our starting RB, but Dixon fills 3 roles on this team:

3rd string RB

2nd string FB

ST BEAST

Dixon was either cut or not resigned when Roman was with the 49'ers so I don't think that is the case. I have no idea why he is on this team. I really don't remember any standout special teams play from him. There must be something somebody likes about him. Surely there were better backup RB's available. Bryce Brown has dangerous ball carrying habits and was not coachable. That is why he is gone.

Edited by bmur66

Dixon was either cut or not resigned when Roman was with the 49'ers so I don't think that is the case. I have no idea why he is on this team. I really don't remember any standout special teams play from him. There must be something somebody likes about him. Surely there were better backup RB's available. Bryce Brown has dangerous ball carrying habits and was not coachable. That is why he is gone.

He did block a punt last year. That's all I recall.

I think the question really is whether you want an actual RB at the #3 spot or a ST middle-of-the-scrum grinder masquerading as a professional RB holding down the position. I'll take the former. In my view, Dixon is a net negative on the offensive side of the ball. He brings nothing to the table because he's so slow, and allows defenses to key more on the real threats, such as they are.

This just in: NO team has quality, veteran "I just play RB and nothing else" depth at the 3rd or 4th RB position.

That said, Boobie at $1.27 million is an even worse value, given his recent production...

I noticed on the radio yesterday that Murph would do the play call and call him Boobie, but then Kelso would always call him Anthony Dixon................I thought maybe he didn't feel right saying Boobie, but maybe he's trying to make him the new A Train.

I don't think there's any debate. He's pretty bad. That's why he's 3rd string/ST.

But it's stupid to say he's only here because Roman is comfortable with him, as others have pointed out.

I'm just wondering. Coaches do have "their guys," after all. Otherwise, why was Anthony Thomas on the Bills? Indeed, Parcells was famous for it -- he wanted someone who knew the system and who he trusted. I don't know if that's the case with Dixon and Roman, but he did play for Roman for 3 seasons. Regardless, he's on the team, and I hope he makes some plays down the line.

Personally, I would prefer a better RB than Boobie at the #3 spot (I'm on the 'why didn't we resign Bryce' train), but we also see the impact that ST can have on the game (e.g., yesterday), and I have no problem with keeping a below-average RB who also happens to be an above-average ST player at the #3 spot.

he left in FA. I truly don't think we can make any judgments as to whether Roman valued him or not in SF. OCs have some input but if the GM isn't on board with giving him enough money to keep him then he won't be back.

Personally, I would prefer a better RB than Boobie at the #3 spot (I'm on the 'why didn't we resign Bryce' train), but we also see the impact that ST can have on the game (e.g., yesterday), and I have no problem with keeping a below-average RB who also happens to be an above-average ST player at the #3 spot.

The thing is, the Bills kept 4, and they chose to keep a guy (Brown) who a) didn't play; b) was cut after a handful of games; and c) wasn't invited back after a rash of injuries to the position. Doesn't that make you wonder?

Edited by dave mcbride

Boobies speed (lack of) combined w/ this O-line so far=bad things man. (And not in the good Bruce Smith sort of way).

But I'm fine w/ him as RB #3 because he also plays fullback and ST. Need a versatile guy. And, this will hopefully be moot next week when Karlos Williams runs for 150 and 2 TDs/

I have a question that I figured I would have seen an answer for by now - how and when did Karlos get a concussion?

@MatthewFairburn: Rex Ryan says he's not sure when Karlos Williams got the concussion. It happened at some point during the game but he never came out.

Weird. I'm sure they're all different, but Corey Graham gets knocked out cold and he's back the next week. And, they don't even know when Karlos got it, and I heard Howard Simon say today that there's a good chance he's not playing against the Bengals, either.

Weird. I'm sure they're all different, but Corey Graham gets knocked out cold and he's back the next week. And, they don't even know when Karlos got it, and I heard Howard Simon say today that there's a good chance he's not playing against the Bengals, either.

there is really no way Howard would know that, since it's a series of tests that take place this week. It is possible he isn't cleared again, but the likelihood either way isn't known since it's a 8-10 day injury usually

I don't know why this needs to be re-hashed over and over and over. The 3rd RB needs to play special teams. Boobie is much, much better on ST than Brown. Therefore, Boobie made the team over Brown. What else is there to debate? Let it go...

But, Whaley went rogue...