Zebra Report Week 4 - NJG vs. Bills

I was traveling this week, so apologize for the lateness.

1ST QTR

12:54 Gilmore PI on Vereen. GOOD CALL. Gilmore was there well before the ball arrived.

7:36 Giants 2nd and 11 from their own 3. Manning in shotgun in the end zone. Both Dareus and Kyle are held, Kyle was the more egregious of the two. QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL, could have been a safety.

6:55 Giants false start. GOOD CALL. Manning was changing the play, tight end turned, ball snapped, tight end did not reset.

3:48 Randle pushes off on Gilmore, no OPI. QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL. Later they call Chuck for the same kind of play.

3:09 Giants OPI, attributed to 34 but should have been OBJ 13. GOOD CALL. OBJ was blocking downfield on Darby just before the ball was caught. No replay on FOX, so they blamed Vereen instead of OBJ.

2:43 Giants Delay of game. GOOD CALL.

1:10 Bills holding on Hogan during Giants punt. I can’t see it very well, but there’s a few frames of Hogan wrasslin’ with a Giants gunner. I’ll say GOOD CALL.

1:03 Giants Beason INT on pass to Clay. I originally thought that Beason was out of bounds because Clay was out of bounds and was touching him. The Bills were burned by this years ago when a Cheats player was knocked out on the sideline and fumbled, the Bills recovered, but they were ruled OOB because they were touching player OOB. The rule must have changed:

ARTICLE 1. PLAYER OR OFFICIAL OUT OF BOUNDS. A player or an Official is Out of Bounds when he touches a boundary line, or when he touches anything that is on or outside a boundary line, except a player, an official, or a pylon.

So, GOOD CALL. You gotta fight harder for that ball, Chuck.

0:25 Giants EP, false start on Giants. GOOD CALL. Giants were lucky, because a bad snap was being chased down by the Bills for a possible defensive score. Subsequent EP was doinked off the pipe.

At the quarter pole, the refs are missing a few and not helping Bills at all. One thing I noticed is that the Giants center kept moving backward before snapping the ball. He false started nearly every play and got away with it. Just a little edge, but it might be just enough.

2ND QTR

15:00 Kujo false start. GOOD CALL. Yeezus. At home.

13:14 Jerry PF #1. Richburg gave him a head slap and then bearhugged him until the camera panned off. The replay didn’t show the PF, but the refs didn’t call the head slap. QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL.

12:04 Kyle illegal formation lined up over the center on the Giants FG attempt. On an afternoon that gets filled with stupid penalties, this was easily the stupidest of the day. Serious case of rectocephaly here. From supposably, with Fred gone, the team leader. Yikes. GOOD CALL. Stalag Coughlin takes the purnts off the board, 1ST down Giants.

11:21 Holding on Darby. GOOD CALL. One of the few penalty replays that FOX would show all day.

8:57 Running OOB on The Duke during Bills punt. No idea, since again FOX didn’t have a replay and chose a camera angle behind the punter for the play. I did see The Duke get held at the end of the play with no call there. So at least a QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL on the Giants holding The Duke.

4:58 OPI on Chuck. I didn’t see much on the replay, and even Moose was questioning the call on the broadcast. QUESTIONABLE CALL.

0:24 Bills false start on Kujo. GOOD CALL. What a huge bust.

Halfway through, and the refs are starting to lose it.

3RD QTR

11:14 Crazy play. Bills called for holding and illegal forward pass. For this one play alone, the refs should forfeit their gameday paycheck. First, the illegal forward pass was not an illegal forward pass. The LOS is 7.5 yd line, and Tyrod released the ball at the six. IT WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE! But during the play, you can see the linesman move into the backfield, and he’s behind Tyrod when Tyrod throws the pass, so he’s simply GUESSING that Tyrod is past the LOS. FOX did NOTHING with that replay, although it would have been the easiest to show. TERRIBLE CALL. Second, they called holding when Karlos tackled a blitzing safety at the 2 yard line. The foul occurred outside the EZ, so no safety. GOOD CALL. There was one other egregious call that was missed. The Giants tackle was giving Seantrel a full facial, but no call for hands to the face. TERRIBLE NON-CALL. The hold and hands to the face should have offset, but the illegal pass was loss of down and the Bills had to punt. Nice job refs.

10:50 Giants ineligible receiver. GOOD CALL. According to FOX, this was the first Giants penalty since the first quarter (while technically correct, I call bull ****).

5:45 Giants PI on Harvin. GOOD CALL. It was nice to see them call the other team for not turning their head around for a change.

5:45 False start on MarQueis. GOOD CALL. NO EXCUSE FOR FALSE STARTING AT HOME!

5:33 Holding on Urbik. Hate to say it, but GOOD CALL. Urbik hooks the guy’s arm and spins him at the point of attack. Definitely inconsistent, as they didn’t call almost this exact same hold when the Giants did it to Jerry earlier in the game.

4:12 Giants 12 men on D. GOOD CALL. You can see the guy running off the field.

1:35 Giants false start. GOOD CALL.

Bills giving it away with dumb penalties. Watching all this again is giving me a headache.

4TH QTR

6:14 Brown PF. All I see is him trying to rip the ball out. QUESTIONABLE CALL.

6:14 Jerry UC. Probably went nuts after they screwed Preston. No replay on Fox, so I have no idea on this one. I tend to believe it given Jerry’s track record.

5:59 Giants holding. GOOD CALL. Dude had Kyle up around the throat.

4:02 Brown UC. GOOD CALL. But clearly, OBJ was baiting him, and the refs were right there pulling OBJ out of there, so for the non-call on OBJ, QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL.

3:41 Bills INT, OBJ punches The Duke in the helmet. UNBELIEVABLE NON-CALL. OBJ should have gotten a PF and been ejected. This play clearly showed the favoritism shown by the referees toward OBJ.

2:56 Giants roughing the passer flag picked up because they said Richie pushed the guy into Tyrod. RIDICULOUS NON-CALL. The guy was running right at Tyrod and Richie’s push did nothing to change or alter his direction toward Tyrod. The Giants player was completely under control and he ran into Tyrod deliberately.

2:42 Jenkins hits Tyrod out of bounds. TERRIBLE NON-CALL. Tyrod is clearly in the white. Refs turning a blind eye to Giants penalties at this point.

1:58 Holding on Richie. GOOD CALL. Whitlock turnstiled him on that one.

0:52 Chop block on Richie. By rule, BAD CALL. The contact area has to be the thigh or lower for the second player, BUT, there was no need for Richie to engage this guy at all. Cordy had him handled. Dumb play by Richie, and as we’ve seen, this crew is by no means elite.

0:21 Giants offside. GOOD CALL.

The refs for this game were abysmal. Selective application of the rules, the unwillingness to call OBJ for anything, the missed and blown calls, just a ridiculously bad day for the zebras. Did it cost the Bills the game? No. Lining up over the center on a field goal will cost you the game. Fumbling while fighting for a few extra inches instead of going out of bounds will cost you the game. Completely losing your cool when you're getting jobbed will cost you the game. The refs suck, period. We have to suck it up and play.

This is a great breakdown! Thanks for posting. I feel sorry for you when you have to re-watch something as awful as that game.

I am shocked at the few fines handed out for late hits, unnecessary roughness, etc. There is no shortage of them, whether they were penalized during the game or not.

I wonder if there is a way to get the grading results for refs. I know it exists, because they pick the "best" ones for playoffs. Sometimes the NFL goes public with obvious mistakes after the fact. I never understand why happens sometimes but not others. Every game certainly has a share of obvious mistakes.

I do not believe in conspiracy theories, but I think refs play favorites, and it is unlikely that any particular players on the Bills, or the team in general, will be among the favorites any time soon. A combination of winning, not getting stupid unnecessary roughness penalties, and limiting the whining will have to be established before the refs will give the team any breaks. Having a player who is a media darling also helps. Mostly winning. I also think that if the Pegulas cozy up with Goodell and company the refs will notice.

The refs are not perfect, and the vetting process for getting to the NFL level isn't perfect either.

Officiating has been ruining my love of sports for the last 10 years. There's not a person in the world that could convince me that officials don't have an agenda. I couldn't tell you what that agenda is, but they do not function as they are supposed to. There's zero chance that they could be this bad without some sort of an agenda

First, thanks for the write-up. I've gone back and looked at the penalties too, and while I don't agree with all of your opinions, it's great to see them all written out.

The refs for this game were abysmal. Selective application of the rules, the unwillingness to call OBJ for anything, the missed and blown calls, just a ridiculously bad day for the zebras. Did it cost the Bills the game? No. Lining up over the center on a field goal will cost you the game. Fumbling while fighting for a few extra inches instead of going out of bounds will cost you the game. Completely losing your cool when you're getting jobbed will cost you the game. The refs suck, period. We have to suck it up and play.

Frankly, I think this is nonsense. It's possible for a team to have a bad game and still win. The refs absolutely impacted the result of this game. Sure, a team can come out and play absolutely perfect football in an attempt to overcome the refs bull ****, but what team plays perfectly every week? The Bills should have had a chance to overcome their stupid penalties and flat out bad play/scheme through the first 3/4 of the game, but the refs wouldn't let them.

Excellent job. Just wondering how the refs officiate themselves. Does the league review their performance week to week? Maybe if they were fined for every atrocious call will cut down on their "mistakes."

I've heard in the past that every team is reviewed each week. Never heard what happens when they discover a horribly called game. I know those refs wouldn't be chosen to officiate the Super Bowl or the like, but outside of that it doesn't appear (from the outside looking in) that a whole lot happens.

The inconsistency regarding OPI is maddening. Call it or don't because you can't overlook one foul at one point in the game and call it in the next.

The Giants tackle was giving Seantrel a full facial, but no call for hands to the face. TERRIBLE NON-CALL. The hold and hands to the face should have offset, but the illegal pass was loss of down and the Bills had to punt. Nice job refs.

I just rewatched this one. The Giant player starts with a head slap with his left hand and then with his right hand grabs Henderson's collar and finishes with his hand in the helmet cage, terrible non-call and now I'm really pissed off.

Edited by Fixxxer

If a Bills player ever completely loses it and punches a ref, God forbid, the Bills might not win another game all year.

The Bills only hope is to play teams the refs hate more than they hate the Bills.

So much for the importance of drafting, and conditioning, and coaching, and practicing, and executing.

I was traveling this week, so apologize for the lateness

Excellent!

Thanks for your time, and trouble!

4TH QTR

6:14 Brown PF. All I see is him trying to rip the ball out. QUESTIONABLE CALL.

6:14 Jerry UC. Probably went nuts after they screwed Preston. No replay on Fox, so I have no idea on this one. I tend to believe it given Jerry’s track record. This one is crap too. After a full game of getting outright screwed, I understand when a committed emotional player losses it. THEY ARE GETTING SCREWED!!!! Don't throw a bunch of BS flags in the first place, crap like this doesn't happen. Same exact thing as Rex's penalty a few weeks ago.

5:59 Giants holding. GOOD CALL. Dude had Kyle up around the throat.

4:02 Brown UC. GOOD CALL. But clearly, OBJ was baiting him, and the refs were right there pulling OBJ out of there, so for the non-call on OBJ, QUESTIONABLE NON-CALL. It used to be common place to have two flags thrown, one on each team, and have them offset. Whatever happened to that? How come when two people are jawing, its the Billls who get flagged 100% of the time? This happened like 5 times in the Pats game too. I don't get why we are the ones who get flagged.

2:56 Giants roughing the passer flag picked up because they said Richie pushed the guy into Tyrod. RIDICULOUS NON-CALL. The guy was running right at Tyrod and Richie’s push did nothing to change or alter his direction toward Tyrod. The Giants player was completely under control and he ran into Tyrod deliberately. You also didnt mention that TWO giants hit Tyrod late. TWO. so even if one was pushed, what about the OTHER GUY!?!?!?!

This isn't even mentioning the non call by BOTH the officials on field AND in the replay booth on the Jennings TD where he clearly steps out of bounds on the replays...

WTF are these officials doing? It's getting to the point they are deciding way, way too many games and no matter how well you play games are basically a coin flip depending on how many calls/non-calls you get on a given day.

The information you seek is here.

A long way to say GIYF. :nana:

This isn't even mentioning the non call by BOTH the officials on field AND in the replay booth on the Jennings TD where he clearly steps out of bounds on the replays...

WTF are these officials doing? It's getting to the point they are deciding way, way too many games and no matter how well you play games are basically a coin flip depending on how many calls/non-calls you get on a given day.

I took another look and the only time Jennings comes close to OB is when Brown goes sliding by. I don't see him step OB at all.

You Sir , FD are a brave and good man.

Thanks for tallying them and giving us a very reasonable opinion to boot!

as Fixxer said.. I am pissed too now. I did not see that face mask.

What i saw was the ginats being very physical all over the field. a bit of " extra" effort.

They won the mind game.

and the refs really are struggling. This game, they lost composure as much as the Bills did.

no fun at all

I agree that we have to overcome bad ref calls

For my part....the part that is hard to swallow is the IMPACT these calls....non calls......questionable calls had impacted scores in the game

14 points taken off the board for the bills?

On 2 of the scores for the giants you can see on both scores that they really are not touchdowns.....and the maddening part is those plays are AUTOMATICALLY reviewed