Does our offense fit our personnel?

Something I've been telling anyone who will listen in person is I believe Chan Gailey is a good offensive coordinator but a mismatch for the Jets personnel. NYJ have a limited quarterback, a big bruising HB who I love in Ivory, a pretty good offensive line, a blocking TE, and big physical wide receivers. This is a team built for run sets and power plays, and then to work the passing game off of the run via play action. In other words, a team built for Greg Roman. Instead, Gailey is lining up in the spread, which doesn't suit their halfback's style and doesn't take advantage of their O-line, and Fitz has thrown too many passes in some games.

Contrast this with the Bills. An explosive quarterback with both arm and legs. A ridiculously shifty, but smaller HB. Athletic matchup nightmare TE. Two quick matchup nightmare WRs in Watkins and Harvin, and another strong all around receiver in Woods. Could the Bills make better use of all these weapons by lining up in the spread more? Giving McCoy more space to shake n bake with, giving Taylor more room to move as well, and using our strong athleticism as the engine of the offense.

It seems like instead, we're trying to force our O-line to be the engine. I offer no stats but we seem to be running the ball on 1st down quite a bit. In this league, in order to be a team that lines up in run sets and runs first to set up the pass, you will need to run successfully at times even when the defense lines up to stop the run. We don't have the offensive line G-Ro had out in the bay, yet we seem to be proceeding as if we do.

Against soft defenses like the Colts and Dolphins it's one thing- against active defenses like NE* and the Giants we wasted the whole 1st half failing to run, put ourselves in a hole, then opened it up and started scoring too little too late.

Power running just doesn't seem to make the offense's greatest strengths the focal point of the attack. I say spread the D out, use to the fullest our athleticism at WR/TE and give Taylor and McCoy more room to operate in the run game. This de-emphasizes our mediocre-to-crappy offensive line while emphasizing our superior players at other positions.

Really I want to hear your thoughts though. Go Bills.

Edited by Aaron

My hope is that the offense hasn't figured out what it's going to be and will continue to improve. It's shown flashes. Hopefully they find consistency as the season goes along. The thing that annoys the hell out of me is this offense with last year's defense and special teams would be killing it right now. I really feel like those are the two areas that the Bills need to get things together. They were supposed to be the strong points that the Bills rode into the playoffs. Basically they've been a wash so far. Playing great in one moment and painfully self destructing in the next.

The Bills line up 3 WRs a lot it seems, so I don't think they're too compact.

The passing game was a bit off in the first half if the Giants game. I don't think passing more is a good answer for that.

This system fits Tyrod the same way it fit Kaepernick. The offense is putting up pretty good numbers, aren't they?

I agree with the OP 100%. We saw it in the Patriots game and we saw it again in the Giants games. Our opponent was putting 8 or 9 guys in the box, just daring the Bills to throw the football downfield. The Bills counter is only sending two WR's out into passing routes. Run the damned spread! Pass it every down if we need to.

Any offense built around talents like Sammy Watkins and Lesean McCoy isn't going to be as good of a fit when they aren't there.

Numbers aside, you defend differently when you have to account for three explosive elusive homerun threat playmakers on the field than when you have 1.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The passing game was a bit off in the first half if the Giants game. I don't think passing more is a good answer for that.

This system fits Tyrod the same way it fit Kaepernick. The offense is putting up pretty good numbers, aren't they?

they were putting up good #'s for (most of) 3 of 4 games.

Any offense built around talents like Sammy Watkins and Lesean McCoy isn't going to be as good of a fit when they aren't there.

Numbers aside, you defend differently when you have to account for three explosive elusive homerun threat playmakers on the field than when you have 1.

While this may be true, good teams find a way to win with their backups.

The Bills matched poorly against the Giants as they have seen the running QB's in their conference with Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, RG3. With Washington winning the division with RG3 at QB the Giants needed to learn how to defend against the read option runs. Kinda why that 4th down run didn't work with Taylor.

When the Bills went into a three TE run formation the NY Giants countered with five players on the line, and eight in the box. Thus stopping the Bills run game in its tracks.

The Patriots stacked the box, and played tight coverage to the line for 3/4 of that game against the Bills and it successfully shot down Buffalo's offense for that period of time. They also managed to get a quick rush on the Bills QB for those eight sacks.

What has been very disconcerting to me is what happened to the Bills offense in the first half against both the Patriots, and the Giants. Only 38 yards passing against the Patriots in the first half. Then against the Giants it was worse because they couldn't run either. Wow, only two first downs with 42 yards rushing, 36 yards passing in the first half against the Giants.

The good news is that in both games the offense came around and got some decent yards, and scored in the second half of those games. Just not enough. It looks to me like Roman is making adjustments after the half, and they are working.

Greg Roman needs to realize he doesn't have the same quality of players on the Bills offensive line that he had in SF. Since its to late to rebuild the offensive line this year. So yea, the Bills should start thinking outside the box :lol: , and try using a spread offense like Gailey used to do.

I think more the problem is that Tyrod Taylor only has four game starts, and is learning as he goes. (growing pains) Things should get better the more experience he gets. Lets also not forget that two TD's were called back because of PENALTIES!

I thought throwing (even short) on first down could've helped against the NYG. We kept running our way into third and longs, on which Tyrod had no chance, partially because we couldn't protect and partially because we didn't get him in rhythm. I believe we had 5 or 6 three and outs in that first half. Edited by Aaron

Something I've been telling anyone who will listen in person is I believe Chan Gailey is a good offensive coordinator but a mismatch for the Jets personnel. NYJ have a limited quarterback, a big bruising HB who I love in Ivory, a pretty good offensive line, a blocking TE, and big physical wide receivers. This is a team built for run sets and power plays, and then to work the passing game off of the run via play action. In other words, a team built for Greg Roman. Instead, Gailey is lining up in the spread, which doesn't suit their halfback's style and doesn't take advantage of their O-line, and Fitz has thrown too many passes in some games.

Contrast this with the Bills. An explosive quarterback with both arm and legs. A ridiculously shifty, but smaller HB. Athletic matchup nightmare TE. Two quick matchup nightmare WRs in Watkins and Harvin, and another strong all around receiver in Woods. Could the Bills make better use of all these weapons by lining up in the spread more? Giving McCoy more space to shake n bake with, giving Taylor more room to move as well, and using our strong athleticism as the engine of the offense.

It seems like instead, we're trying to force our O-line to be the engine. I offer no stats but we seem to be running the ball on 1st down quite a bit. In this league, in order to be a team that lines up in run sets and runs first to set up the pass, you will need to run successfully at times even when the defense lines up to stop the run. We don't have the offensive line G-Ro had out in the bay, yet we seem to be proceeding as if we do.

Against soft defenses like the Colts and Dolphins it's one thing- against active defenses like NE* and the Giants we wasted the whole 1st half failing to run, put ourselves in a hole, then opened it up and started scoring too little too late.

Power running just doesn't seem to make the offense's greatest strengths the focal point of the attack. I say spread the D out, use to the fullest our athleticism at WR/TE and give Taylor and McCoy more room to operate in the run game. This de-emphasizes our mediocre-to-crappy offensive line while emphasizing our superior players at other positions.

I get the logic. Your argument has some sense.

But I choose facts over logic every time.

And here are the facts so far: we're averaging 27.5 points per game in a new system with a QB with no starting experience. We're scoring more points than any other team in the AFC except the Pats and Bengals. And we're scoring a lot of points despite the weak OL you mentioned.

By the way of comparison, in the glory days of the K-Gun (1990-1993) we averaged 24.9 points per game with multiple HOFers.

So far, I'd have to say Greg Roman seems to know exactly what he's doing.

I get the logic. Your argument has some sense.

But I choose facts over logic every time.

And here are the facts so far: we're averaging 27.5 points per game in a new system with a QB with no starting experience. We're scoring more points than any other team in the AFC except the Pats and Bengals. And we're scoring a lot of points despite the weak OL you mentioned.

By the way of comparison, in the glory days of the K-Gun (1990-1993) we averaged 24.9 points per game with multiple HOFers.

So far, I'd have to say Greg Roman seems to know exactly what he's doing.

We scored 10 points against the Giants. We had 2 first downs at halftime along with at least 5-6 three and outs. We were sacked eight(?) times. Our running game was abysmal.

Against NE* we had 13 points at halftime, 7 of which came on the opening drive when Tyrod was something like 5 of 5 with 80 yards.

Frankly I don't put any stock into your comparison to another league in anoth3r time.

It seems that when we lose its because we waste the first half failing to run the ball on early downs, then we open the offense up and have success in the 2nd half, too late.

This offense seems built for the spread in every position group.

We scored 10 points against the Giants. We had 2 first downs at halftime along with at least 5-6 three and outs. We were sacked eight(?) times. Our running game was abysmal.

Against NE* we had 13 points at halftime, 7 of which came on the opening drive when Tyrod was something like 5 of 5 with 80 yards.

Frankly I don't put any stock into your comparison to another league in anoth3r time.

It seems that when we lose its because we waste the first half failing to run the ball on early downs, then we open the offense up and have success in the 2nd half, too late.

I'm not seeing it.

We don't have a prolific passer. We have mobile guards. Good blocking TEs and FBs. We have great vertical threats at receiver and TE.

I believe Roman mixes in plenty of spread formations, anyway. I just don't get the huge concern over the spread. The offense hasn't been bad. You've noted the struggles, which have been compounded with injuries and bad penalties, but that's not a reason to change your whole philosophy.

You don't want to be multiple anymore? Just purely a spread/read-option offense?

Every team has bad halfs. The Bills are still 3rd in the AFC in scoring, despite an inexperienced QB, injuries to our most potent playmakers (Sammy, Shady), a "mediocre-to-crappy offensive line," and being only 4 games into Roman's system. Oh, and besides those bad halfs.

It's just possible that Greg Roman - who has been coaching for 20 years - has a better understanding of what our personnel is suited for than you or I do. I'm just humbly suggesting this as a possibility.

I imagine Roman's offensive ideas have been limited by having a new QB and injuries to his most dynamic weapons. It seems to me he's off to a good start and it'll be interesting to see where he takes the offense from here.

Edited by hondo in seattle

they were putting up good #'s for (most of) 3 of 4 games.

While this may be true, good teams find a way to win with their backups.

Maybe sometimes, maybe not. You can't quantify that comment. Injuries are a great excuse for not winning.

I'm not seeing it.

We don't have a prolific passer. We have mobile guards. Good blocking TEs and FBs. We have great vertical threats at receiver and TE.

I believe Roman mixes in plenty of spread formations, anyway. I just don't get the huge concern over the spread. The offense hasn't been bad. You've noted the struggles, which have been compounded with injuries and bad penalties, but that's not a reason to change your whole philosophy.

You don't want to be multiple anymore? Just purely a spread/read-option offense?

I don't think we should do it on every down and burn our massive power run playbook. I do think the spread should be our base offense. I even think we'd run the ball a lot better for three reasons

-the offensive line won't see loaded boxes. less bodies to block = making the job of our offense's weakest unit easier.

-McCoy is put in his element. More space and more shotgun means he can do what he does best, pick his own hole and make people miss so he can make BIG plays for us, which he always insists on attempting anyway. Make our HB's style work with our scheme rather than against it.

-Spreading the defense allows Taylor to get more easy yards with his legs. The read options and other designed runs become less predictable because we're in that set all the time. The defense has to chase all our weapons around and there's more space for him to scramble.

The reason to alter our philosophy is that in a power run scheme its imperative you have a strong run blocking O-line, and we don't. I'd like to use our weapons to thin out the box, make life easier on the line and give McCoy room to play HIS game.

Every team has bad halfs. The Bills are still 3rd in the AFC in scoring, despite an inexperienced QB, injuries to our most potent playmakers (Sammy, Shady), a "mediocre-to-crappy offensive line," and being only 4 games into Roman's system. Oh, and besides those bad halfs.

It's just possible that Greg Roman - who has been coaching for 20 years - has a better understanding of what our personnel is suited for than you or I do. I'm just humbly suggesting this as a possibility.

I imagine Roman's offensive ideas have been limited by having a new QB and injuries to his most dynamic weapons. It seems to me he's off to a good start and it'll be interesting to see where he takes the offense from here.

What about the games we lost? Why did we have 13 points after 3 quarters against NE*, and why did we score three touchdowns in the 4th quarter once we were absolutely forced to open the offense up? Why did we score only 10 points against the Giants along with multiple turnovers? and a lead back who had 18 carries for 40 or 45 yards?

Pretty numbers are great. I'm more interested in winning every game that we can, not just the ones against poorly-coached, soft defenses.

Please don't get me wrong Hondo, I am not saying Roman has been terrible. Even if he doesn't change a thing he's a serious upgrade over Marrone/Hackett. But to suggest our offense couldn't have performed better in the first halves of our losses is folly.

Also I used to say the same thing about Dick Jauron- 'how can you possibly think you know defense better than someone who has coached it at the highest level for xx years.' Roman is a better coach than Jauron but nobody is perfect. Again not saying he's been bad, but I believe there are changes that could be made to be better (and more consistent week to week).

Edited by Aaron

Have to admit that the play of Cordy Glenn has been disappointing along with Wood all season. Against the Giants, S.Henderson just couldn't block Kerry Wynn, which was surprising. With Incognito and Miller in there, the line fits Roman's offense well. I wouldn't mind seeing Kouiandjio at LT and maybe even Ikard at C.

The skill positions fit well.

Agreed!!!

This is a case of the eyeball test versus statistics.

- Statistics show that the Bills are scoring pretty well.

- The eyeball says there are too many ineffective runs up the middle.

I believe the truth to be somewhere in between. Too many ineffective runs up the middle early in games before shifting to more of a spread offense. At least that is what seemed to be the case in the two losses. A running game is great when it works because it keeps your defense/the other offense off the field. But if you don't get first downs, then relying on the running game becomes a liability. What I don't like is the "run, run, pass, punt" series of events. If you run twice with little gain, then everyone knows you will pass on third down. The defense knows what to expect. The fact that there were so few passes on first or second downs early in the game was getting me to yell at the TV. And from the reaction in the TBD shoutbox, I wasn't the only one.

It's a bit of a paradox though.... as talent is lost to injury the team gets less good.

If Brady and Gronk go out are the pats still as "good"?

no. thats as simple as can be said.

The opposing team can focus on the less threatening threats.

very good post, i hardly ever say this.

The offesne is able to move the ball up and down...If they can avoid the terrible mistakes, they will be fine.

miller and glenn being out the whole first half was a killer. hopefully the O Line is full strength this week. need it

This is a case of the eyeball test versus statistics.

- Statistics show that the Bills are scoring pretty well.

- The eyeball says there are too many ineffective runs up the middle.

I believe the truth to be somewhere in between. Too many ineffective runs up the middle early in games before shifting to more of a spread offense. At least that is what seemed to be the case in the two losses. A running game is great when it works because it keeps your defense/the other offense off the field. But if you don't get first downs, then relying on the running game becomes a liability. What I don't like is the "run, run, pass, punt" series of events. If you run twice with little gain, then everyone knows you will pass on third down. The defense knows what to expect. The fact that there were so few passes on first or second downs early in the game was getting me to yell at the TV. And from the reaction in the TBD shoutbox, I wasn't the only one.

Tyrod didn't have a good half but we didn't make it any easier on him with all the 3rd and longs. Give him a chance and throw it more on 1st down, too many weapons to be depending on our O-line so much.

is TT allowed to check out of plays yet?

awesome reply.

you just earned credibility on my big board!!

Easy, still gotta increase my eye speed.

We don't have a good enough OLine and RaBs to play ground 'n pound without McCoy. This offense has done best when utilizing the vertical passing game. Stop fooling around and let Hotrod throw the football, especially against the worst pass D in the NFL.

yes sir!

very good post, i hardly ever say this.

thanks. Go Bills

The offesne is able to move the ball up and down...If they can avoid the terrible mistakes, they will be fine.

a few tweaks

IF The offense is able to move the ball up and down the field AND If they can avoid the terrible mistakes, they will be fine. This TOP keeps their offense off of the field and therefore minimizes scoring opportunities.

The Bills simply need to keep their drives alive for more than 3 or 4 plays per series. Double that to 6 to 9 plays and things will look better.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

IF The offense is able to move the ball up and down the field AND If they can avoid the terrible mistakes, they will be fine. This TOP keeps their offense off of the field and therefore minimizes scoring opportunities.

I disagree. Our offense needs to score points. You win with points, not TOP.

In a fair league I might agree with you. But in the NFL I don't think we should try to win close low scoring games. Because if it's close at the end to a glamour team, mysterious flags WILL fall. If we don't have a big enough cushion we'll lose more than we win.

Take the gloves and let Hotrod air it out. Our offense works better doing that anyway.

is TT allowed to check out of plays yet?

He doesn't need to check out of plays too often because of how the Bills offense operates. The reason Roman wanted Clay is because he is a matchup nightmare for defenses. Combine that with Shady - who is also a matchup problem - and you have an offense that gives a D fits in deciding what personnel to line up.

Out of their base two TE set the Bills can line up and run power if the D goes with a nickel or they can spread the D out with Shady and Clay out wide and make LBs cover these guys if they go with a base D. The reason the Bills run so often on first down is because the D is dictating it by going with their nickel. Even when the D goes with a base they run it fairly often because they're attempting to stay out of 3rd and longs at which point the matchup problems go away and the D can simply put in a nickel or a dime and play the pass.

So to answer the OP's question - no, the Bills run an offense that perfectly suits their personnel.

As for the contention that the Jets should run a power O, I disagree there too. They have a powerful runner in Ivory and what better way to utilize his skills than to spread the D out, get lots of small DBs on the field and then make them try and tackle him? It also plays to Fitz's strength, which is the short passing game. This isn't the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust league, lining up 2 TEs, a FB and a HB and trying to cram it down a team's throat doesn't work if you don't have to proper matchups. The Jets would be ramming their heads into a wall if they went that way as they don't have a QB who can back defenses off the LoS with his deep ball.

Edited by MDH

Totaly agree with the OP.

Put Tyrod in the shotgun. Spread the field. Throw 40 times a game.

Mix in the run. In other words, Gailey's offense. This is 2015. It's a passing league.

We don't have Iupati and Anthony Davis.

Since third downs are such a problem, avoid them!

Throw the ball past the sticks on first and second down.

He doesn't need to check out of plays too often because of how the Bills offense operates. The reason Roman wanted Clay is because he is a matchup nightmare for defenses. Combine that with Shady - who is also a matchup problem - and you have an offense that gives a D fits in deciding what personnel to line up.

Out of their base two TE set the Bills can line up and run power if the D goes with a nickel or they can spread the D out with Shady and Clay out wide and make LBs cover these guys if they go with a base D. The reason the Bills run so often on first down is because the D is dictating it by going with their nickel. Even when the D goes with a base they run it fairly often because they're attempting to stay out of 3rd and longs at which point the matchup problems go away and the D can simply put in a nickel or a dime and play the pass.

So to answer the OP's question - no, the Bills run an offense that perfectly suits their personnel.

As for the contention that the Jets should run a power O, I disagree there too. They have a powerful runner in Ivory and what better way to utilize his skills than to spread the D out, get lots of small DBs on the field and then make them try and tackle him? It also plays to Fitz's strength, which is the short passing game. This isn't the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust league, lining up 2 TEs, a FB and a HB and trying to cram it down a team's throat doesn't work if you don't have to proper matchups. The Jets would be ramming their heads into a wall if they went that way as they don't have a QB who can back defenses off the LoS with his deep ball.

You seem to be advocating putting Marshall Faulk in a power scheme and Jerome Bettis in a spread offense.

When you spread the field in a shotgun it creates a ton of space for a guy like McCoy to pick his own hole, evade one or two tacklers and get off to the races. It also makes the OL's job easier.

The Jets offensive line is better equipped to run block in a crowded box than ours is. And power run plays with guards pulling work best with a back who can put his nose down and churn out the extra 2, 3, 4 yards on the end of the run.

McCoy is not happy with following the play for 5-6 yards. He'd rather bounce outside and try for the big play, even if it means getting 2 instead of 5. At least I tried, and if I keep trying, I'll pop one eventually, is the mentality. Best off putting him in space and working with him rather than against him.

And we have more difficult matchups at WR/TE than the Jets do. This makes our spread formation more effective than theirs.

I get that we're trying to run to stay out of third and long but it's had the opposite effect many times, especially against the Giants. Because we can't run block when good defenses play run.

Maybe getting into third and short could be accomplished more regularly by using the strength of the roster, the weapons, rather than the weakness of the roster, the O-line.

Just one fool's opinion- your perspective is most welcome.

Edited by Aaron

The Bills offense has scored 110pts which is the 3rd best in the AFC and 6th in the NFL.

I disagree. Our offense needs to score points. You win with points, not TOP.

Edited by mabden

You seem to be advocating putting Marshall Faulk in a power scheme and Jerome Bettis in a spread offense.

When you spread the field in a shotgun it creates a ton of space for a guy like McCoy to pick his own hole, evade one or two tacklers and get off to the races. It also makes the OL's job easier.

The Jets offensive line is better equipped to run block in a crowded box than ours is. And power run plays with guards pulling work best with a back who can put his nose down and churn out the extra 2, 3, 4 yards on the end of the run.

McCoy is not happy with following the play for 5-6 yards. He'd rather bounce outside and try for the big play, even if it means getting 2 instead of 5. At least I tried, and if I keep trying, I'll pop one eventually, is the mentality. Best off putting him in space and working with him rather than against him.

And we have more difficult matchups at WR/TE than the Jets do. This makes our spread formation more effective than theirs.

I get that we're trying to run to stay out of third and long but it's had the opposite effect many times, especially against the Giants. Because we can't run block when good defenses play run.

Maybe getting into third and short could be accomplished more regularly by using the strength of the roster, the weapons, rather than the weakness of the roster, the O-line.

Just one fool's opinion- your perspective is most welcome.

I feel like you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

What's wrong with a run game that's 6th best in the league so far? Teams know the Bills want to run, but they're still successful. It's certainly getting the job done when everyone is healthy. When Incognito is pulling, the Bills might be the best in the league. At least, that was true before the Giants game. You think having Kuoundjio at LT and Urbik, with McCoy and Sammy out doesn't effect the run game?

Regarding the passing game, we don't have Aaron Rodgers at QB. Building a game plan that involves Tyrod throwing 45 times is not a good strategy.

We have both Faulk and Bettis on our team.

Because they want to be multiple. Power runs, zone reads, spread, whatever. They want to be able to do it all.

Like when the Jets had Tomlinson and Greene and FB Richardson in 2010