Does our offense fit our personnel?

I feel like you're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

What's wrong with a run game that's 6th best in the league so far? Teams know the Bills want to run, but they're still successful. It's certainly getting the job done when everyone is healthy. When Incognito is pulling, the Bills might be the best in the league. At least, that was true before the Giants game. You think having Kuoundjio at LT and Urbik, with McCoy and Sammy out doesn't effect the run game?

Regarding the passing game, we don't have Aaron Rodgers at QB. Building a game plan that involves Tyrod throwing 45 times is not a good strategy.

We have both Faulk and Bettis on our team.

Because they want to be multiple. Power runs, zone reads, spread, whatever. They want to be able to do it all.

Like when the Jets had Tomlinson and Greene and FB Richardson in 2010

Good points. Let's see if we're able to run into crowded boxes on first down with this O-line. Couldn't do it against the Giants' no-name defensive front. I may be overreacting to that game.

To be clear, I didn't advocate throwing 45 times a game. I want to go spread because I want to throw more on 1st down and I actually think we'd run it better.

Edited by Aaron

Good points. Let's see if we're able to run into crowded boxes on first down with this O-line. Couldn't do it against the Giants' no-name defensive front. I may be overreacting to that game.

They aren't no-names. They are the #1 run defense, are they not? And they haven't played push-overs, either. DAL, ATL, WASH, and BUF. And I don't know about the other games, but the Bills had two back-ups on the line. Kuoundjio came in and helped us out with 2 false starts in the first half. One occurring as the Bills were trying to draw the Giants offsides on 4th-and-1. Idk how that happens.

Edited by LeGOATski

They aren't no-names. They are the #1 run defense, are they not? And they haven't played push-overs, either. DAL, ATL, WASH, and BUF. And I don't know about the other games, but the Bills had two back-ups on the line.

So whose brilliant idea was it to try to run up the gut on 1st and 2nd down and then throw a short pass on 3rd and long for the whole first half? Giants also had the worst pass D coming into that game.

I don't think we should do it on every down and burn our massive power run playbook. I do think the spread should be our base offense. I even think we'd run the ball a lot better for three reasons

-the offensive line won't see loaded boxes. less bodies to block = making the job of our offense's weakest unit easier.

-McCoy is put in his element. More space and more shotgun means he can do what he does best, pick his own hole and make people miss so he can make BIG plays for us, which he always insists on attempting anyway. Make our HB's style work with our scheme rather than against it.

-Spreading the defense allows Taylor to get more easy yards with his legs. The read options and other designed runs become less predictable because we're in that set all the time. The defense has to chase all our weapons around and there's more space for him to scramble.

The reason to alter our philosophy is that in a power run scheme its imperative you have a strong run blocking O-line, and we don't. I'd like to use our weapons to thin out the box, make life easier on the line and give McCoy room to play HIS game.

What about the games we lost? Why did we have 13 points after 3 quarters against NE*, and why did we score three touchdowns in the 4th quarter once we were absolutely forced to open the offense up? Why did we score only 10 points against the Giants along with multiple turnovers? and a lead back who had 18 carries for 40 or 45 yards?

Pretty numbers are great. I'm more interested in winning every game that we can, not just the ones against poorly-coached, soft defenses.

Please don't get me wrong Hondo, I am not saying Roman has been terrible. Even if he doesn't change a thing he's a serious upgrade over Marrone/Hackett. But to suggest our offense couldn't have performed better in the first halves of our losses is folly.

Also I used to say the same thing about Dick Jauron- 'how can you possibly think you know defense better than someone who has coached it at the highest level for xx years.' Roman is a better coach than Jauron but nobody is perfect. Again not saying he's been bad, but I believe there are changes that could be made to be better (and more consistent week to week).

With a new OC and QB, I think this is an offense in a state of evolution.

Maybe Roman will use more spread concepts as TT gains in experience and Roman gains confidence in TT.

While I wouldn't say this offense has reached it's potential yet, it' shard to criticize Roman for his productivity so far.

But didn't I read somewhere that TT has actually been more effective throwing the ball when lined up under center??? The spread typically puts the QB in shotgun. I might be wrong about TT.

So whose brilliant idea was it to try to run up the gut on 1st and 2nd down and then throw a short pass on 3rd and long for the whole first half? Giants also had the worst pass D coming into that game.

It wasn't that cut-and-dry. This is one of those instances where perception is different than reality, I guess.

First 2 drives were 3-and-outs:

Run, Pass, Pass

Run, Run, Pass

Next drive saw a first down with a run:

Run (1st down)

Pass, Run, Pass

Next drive:

Pass - deep to the left and INT.

Next drive:

Pass, Run, Pass

Next:

Run, Run, Pass

Next:

Run, Pass, Pass, Pass

Run, QB scramble, Pass

Last drive of the half:

Run, Pass, Pass

So, to break it down quickly:

7 runs to 3 pass on first down

4 runs to 4 pass on 2nd down

0 runs to 8 pass on 3rd down

Typical of what you'll see from a running team

Furthermore, Karlos was 7 attempts for 31 yards (that's 4.3 YPC) on first down. That's successful and no reason to change the game plan for.

Was the passing game the real issue? Maybe we should've ran more on 2nd down instead of being 50/50 on that down.

Edited by LeGOATski

You seem to be advocating putting Marshall Faulk in a power scheme and Jerome Bettis in a spread offense.

The Bills don't run a power scheme, despite their multiple TE tendencies. It's not as cut and dried as that. They run lots of looks from their base packages. Sometimes they go power from that set and sometimes they spread it out. It all depends on the D.

And yeah, Bettis would have done fine in a spread offense, he wasn't too shabby in pass protection and his hands were good for a big man. Without a QB who can make a D back off, trying to ram it down a modern defense's throat in a power scheme is a big mistake even if your OL is good. Fitz can't do that make D's respect the long ball so if they ran a 2 TE set just about the entire D would be stacked within 10 yards of the LoS and Ivory would find the running tough. Spreading the field is their best bet at creating running lanes and at having a productive passing game.