We should see the true character of this team soon

Rubes

Bills teams in the past have been the type that can get up for the big games (though often falling short), but also playing down to the level of the competition. So for as many times as they pulled out a big win against a stronger opponent, they also fell flat and lost to teams they should have beaten. Those, to me, are signs of teams that needed better talent, better coaching, and better discipline.

As many others have pointed out, this year certainly seems different than other years. We have much better talent, and we have solid coaching. Execution has been strong for the most part, though there were discipline issues in the Pats*** game that bit us in the ass.

But over this three game stretch against Miami, the Giants, and Tennessee, I thought we would have a good opportunity to see the true character of this team. Three teams we definitely should beat, though each with its distinct challenges; Miami with its tough defensive front, the Giants with their SB-winning QB and tough receivers, and Tennessee with its stellar rookie QB, and two of those on the road. But despite those challenges, there is no reason this team should not be 4-1 heading into a showdown at home against the Bengals.

The game against Miami was a sign to me that this isn't the same old Bills. On the road, they not only took care of business, but they held their foot on the gas and didn't let up. True, Miami is probably worse than any of us thought going into the season, but again, previous Bills teams would find a way to play down to their level and make it a close game. There are initial signs that this team has a different, stronger character.

Now we have the Giants and Tennessee, and two more opportunities to show that this team is built for real success. Teams have more film on us, so they'll have more ways to attack our weaknesses. How this team responds against these two additional opponents will tell me a lot about who they truly are. I don't expect every game to be a 41-14 thrashing (sure would be nice, though), but if this really is a team with playoff expectations I expect them to execute well and take care of business these next two games. If not, well, I guess we will still have a ways to go.

Go Bills!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always a head scratching loss. I don't think this week but Tennessee could be that one as they look ahead to Cinci. If (and it's a big if) they stay focused, beat Cinci at home, I think we will be 8-1 for the big rematch with Pats. If we thought the hype was big week 2 wait til that one.

I want to say that I can sense the difference, but that's how I always feel right before the sucker punch. Still, this feels different. (Flinch!) Going a game or two without Shady or Sammy complicates the challenge, but might also give them something to unite and rally around. But yes, there is almost always that inexplicable bad game....

The Bills have four games to go before the bye week, and three of those four are currently against 1-2 weaklings. Giants, Tenn, Jags, and yea, how will Rex Ryan's team respond to playing not so good teams? Will they be prepared enough, and will the players be emotionally tuned up to compete with a not so good team?

Last year the Bills went to Oakland with a playoff berth on the line and lost to a 2-12 bad Raiders team that the Bills should have annihilated! I mean they had just held Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning under their thumb on defense in previous games, So QB Derek Carr should be a breeze right?

Anyway, the Bills biggest challenge before the bye should come against the 3-0 Bengals, and will they be looking past their more recent teams?

A lot of questions about this years team will be answered over the next month, and lets just hope they can find a way to beat every team.

Good post. I too sense this years Bills team is different. I was impressed how they came back against New England after being embarrased for 3 quarters. The past few decent Bills teams squandered strong openings by losing to inferior opponents. Good teams win the game they are supposed to. And I am convinced this years Bills team has that.

Go Bills!

all good thoughts by everyone and quite simply i agree with everything said. just reflecting on the last few years, lotsa hope was generated, particularly after that oakland win, and fitz-magic.. only to be disappointed as usual. this year, DOES seem different, the talent level has never been higher since 1999, same with coaching.. i can see 8-1 going into new england.

I agree that this team seems destined for the playoffs, but I will NEVER be optimistic at the start of a game. I will be scared and unapproachable as the game starts tomorrow, even though most people think the Bills should beat the Giants easily. I will NEVER predict a victory for the Bills. I live in an area dominated by Giants fans, so if the Bills lose I will be the target of ridicule for a while. Too many years of dashed hopes, too many years of being ridiculed for being a Bills fan, too many years of injuries piling up. Yes, there is depth and there is better coaching this year, and Tyrod has turned out to be better than many people thought (so far). But I have seen defeat clutched from the jaws of victory too many times. My poor wife, she doesn't understand why I care about something as trivial as football, but she knows that if the Bills lose I will be in a bad mood for a while. The bad mood used to last for several days, but all these years of bad teams have made me much less likely to let it bother me for very long. But losing to the Giants or Patriots has an extra sting. I sure hope the Bills win tomorrow.

I think their character was exposed in the 4th quarter vs the Pats and the Miami beat down should convince doubters. I'm not saying we're going to win out but this team has shown me that, yes they might lose again, but they're not going to be embarrassed.

I agree that this team seems destined for the playoffs, but I will NEVER be optimistic at the start of a game. I will be scared and unapproachable as the game starts tomorrow, even though most people think the Bills should beat the Giants easily. I will NEVER predict a victory for the Bills. I live in an area dominated by Giants fans, so if the Bills lose I will be the target of ridicule for a while. Too many years of dashed hopes, too many years of being ridiculed for being a Bills fan, too many years of injuries piling up. Yes, there is depth and there is better coaching this year, and Tyrod has turned out to be better than many people thought (so far). But I have seen defeat clutched from the jaws of victory too many times. My poor wife, she doesn't understand why I care about something as trivial as football, but she knows that if the Bills lose I will be in a bad mood for a while. The bad mood used to last for several days, but all these years of bad teams have made me much less likely to let it bother me for very long. But losing to the Giants or Patriots has an extra sting. I sure hope the Bills win tomorrow.

I thing this has been a fine thread indeed.

Dont take the games personally but i do. as i bolded, Son said you watching the game tomorrow and can i stop over. I said sure you are always welcome , but i probably wont talk to you much. he said " I know" you will be yelling mostly. good or bad"

I expect a win.Always expect a W.

But these next couple games are part of building the "new" culture.

lets hope we all succeed!

Good read. Agree with everything you said. These 3 games, including Miami are huge. Good teams win these games.

simple as that i suppose B-)

There is always a head scratching loss. I don't think this week but Tennessee could be that one as they look ahead to Cinci. If (and it's a big if) they stay focused, beat Cinci at home, I think we will be 8-1 for the big rematch with Pats. If we thought the hype was big week 2 wait til that one.

The Pats* will turn out to be the head scratching loss as we march to an 18-1 record.

I want to say that I can sense the difference, but that's how I always feel right before the sucker punch. Still, this feels different. (Flinch!) Going a game or two without Shady or Sammy complicates the challenge, but might also give them something to unite and rally around. But yes, there is almost always that inexplicable bad game....

This team is totally different. Very physical; coaches outcoach the other side; balanced and deep with tons of talent. TT, in my view, has proven himself to be the real deal.

Biggest thing that's going to hold them back is their ability to keep an even keel from week to week and not get caught up in the hype machine. They are good. Maybe very good. But can they manage their own success. Didn't do a good job of it against NE. Giants game is the next test. After a strong performance in Florida they could be set up for another let down if they don't watch it. Haven't had the greatest home record the past three years. One game above 500.

Last year the Bills went to Oakland with a playoff berth on the line and lost to a 2-12 bad Raiders team that the Bills should have annihilated! I mean they had just held Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning under their thumb on defense in previous games, So QB Derek Carr should be a breeze right?

Our offense was too terrible to annihilate anybody last year

Biggest thing that's going to hold them back is their ability to keep an even keel from week to week and not get caught up in the hype machine. They are good. Maybe very good. But can they manage their own success. Didn't do a good job of it against NE. Giants game is the next test. After a strong performance in Florida they could be set up for another let down if they don't watch it. Haven't had the greatest home record the past three years. One game above 500.

Pretty much my feeling. They stay humble, they will win a lot of games with the talent they have.

A big part of proving we are a different team will be taking care of business and winning games we should win.

The Giants game is one of those games, even with the injuries.

I think we will take care of business and can see us getting on a roll.

We have been so desperate for a competent team that people are predicting 18-1 after 3 games. That's ridiculous.

I love the direction this team is going, but I'm going to wait until half the season is gone before I start trying to predict how games are going to go. 15 years of no playoffs will do that to you.

I want to see how Tyrod responds once teams have some film on him and try to take away what he likes to do. It's still very early to annoint him the next Jim Kelly. We've been here before with Trentative and Fitz (loved Fitz but never bought into him).

I think cautious optimism is the way to go.