Tyrod Taylor- The Sitting a QB Approach

JPLoserman

By the way the Bills are doing this now with EJ Manuel.

So I don't believe #1 on your list is necessary.

The problem is if they pick up EJ's 5th year option he will be making more money than Orton did, I believe anyways.

Actually, he would be making a hell of a lot more than Orton. 12.25 million.

http://www.hashtagsports.net/articles/cutting-ej-manuel-can-the-bills-afford-to-keep-him

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pinching myself all week, thinking that perhaps the Bills have actually found their QB after all these years.

And then I say "ouch" and remind myself that we're not allowed to have nice things.

The problem is if they pick up EJ's 5th year option he will be making more money than Orton did, I believe anyways.

Actually, he would be making a hell of a lot more than Orton. 12.25 million.

http://www.hashtagsports.net/articles/cutting-ej-manuel-can-the-bills-afford-to-keep-him

Are they locked into that option for a 5th year?

Can they extend at true market value?

I have been incredibly surprised by how well Tyrod has played to this point, and even more so considering these were his first three starts in the NFL. It seems that the four years sitting behind Joe Flacco as a backup did wonders to his development and understanding of the game.

The strategy of drafting a QB and waiting a few years before starting him seems to have gone out the window with the increasingly impatience of owners/coaches/GMs. I would say the last true QB to be drafted and playing backup for his first few years was Aaron Rodgers, and that has seemed to turn out well.

Makes me wonder if other people around the league are seeing the early success of Tyrod and rethinking how they develop drafted QBs.

It sure doesn't hurt.. but keep in mind Tyrod was pretty accurate thrower in college as well. Something I stand by that you can not teach. You can hone it but you either have the gift of consistent accuracy or you do not

It sure doesn't hurt.. but keep in mind Tyrod was pretty accurate thrower in college as well. Something I stand by that you can not teach. You can hone it but you either have the gift of consistent accuracy or you do not

Accuracy is in large part fundamentals. You are right that some QBs have it and some never will. BUT... a large part of fundamentals is being comfortable and being confident and being coached well. A lot of guys take a lot of time to acclimate to the NFL. EJ over preseason was a great example of being uncomfortable and unconfident and not coached well for two years and his fundamentals broke down and his inaccuracy was glaring. This preseason that all changed because of the three aforementioned factors.

Taylor had four years to get used to the speed and intricacies and studying of defenses. He's confident and comfortable because of it and he's accurate. He's also been coached very well for five years now.

Are they locked into that option for a 5th year?

Can they extend at true market value?

I believe they can renegotiate but I don't know how anyone would be able to convince a player to take less money over a longer period of time. It's likely he will be released and not extended as a result of it.

I believe they can renegotiate but I don't know how anyone would be able to convince a player to take less money over a longer period of time. It's likely he will be released and not extended as a result of it.

I don't think they have picked up EJ's 5th year option yet so there isn't a renegotiate (I think this addresses your second point of less money over a longer period of time). They don't have to pick it either (as the word option implies). Just because they don't pick it up doesn't mean he won't play for us though. He could be extended on a new contract (at market value) or he could become a FA and still sign with us. I would like us to extend him without picking up the 5th year option. That option is really for first round draft picks that are successful (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Edited by YattaOkasan

I have been incredibly surprised by how well Tyrod has played to this point, and even more so considering these were his first three starts in the NFL. It seems that the four years sitting behind Joe Flacco as a backup did wonders to his development and understanding of the game.

The strategy of drafting a QB and waiting a few years before starting him seems to have gone out the window with the increasingly impatience of owners/coaches/GMs. I would say the last true QB to be drafted and playing backup for his first few years was Aaron Rodgers, and that has seemed to turn out well.

Makes me wonder if other people around the league are seeing the early success of Tyrod and rethinking how they develop drafted QBs.

Impossible to tell what he would have been if he started right out of college. But there is no doubt sitting behind a very good QB and learning is valuable. But it's a luxury most teams can't afford, they need a QB right away...

I don't think they have picked up EJ's 5th year option yet so there isn't a renegotiate (I think this addresses your second point of less money over a longer period of time). They don't have to pick it either (as the word option implies). Just because they don't pick it up doesn't mean he won't play for us though. He could be extended on a new contract (at market value) or he could become a FA and still sign with us. I would like us to extend him without picking up the 5th year option. That option is really for first round draft picks that are successful (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

That's all correct. Just that I'm not sure if he would stay or go to a team looking for a starting qb.

The only thing I'm unclear about with the rookie contracts is if they don't pick up the 5th year by May 1, he becomes a UFA. Does the team have the ability to then sign him or are they committed to the previous contract. Also, are they able to not pick up the 5th year prior to that date and negotiate a new contract before FA starts.

Edited by The Wiz

Seriously, a guy with the handle "JPLoserman" posts this topic and NOBODY points out the irony?

It's still way too early to judge Tyrod, I'll give him the full year before passing judgement but so far he looks good, but so did Trent and Fitz.

If you think the way Taylor has played is similar in any way to what we saw from Trentative Checkwards and Ryan Fitzgibbons, I'm not sure what you were watching.

I do agree with you that we have a very small sample size at this point. Part of the reason folks are so excited, however, is because we know this isn't a wide-eyed rookie or well-traveled journeyman.

You didn't think Fitz and Edwards looked good ever? Specifically the first 6 games of the 2008 season for Trent and the first 7 games of the 2011 season for Fitz?

Both these guys strung together a small sample of great games in which it looked like our QB situation was solved, only to discover they were aberrations. I'm just saying I hope that's not the case with Tyrod.

They never looked like complete NFL QBs. Rob Johnson and JP Losman excited me more than either of those two, because both RJ and JP had the raw skills.

Tyrod is the first QB in a Bills uniform since Jimbo to give you the impression he is completely in control AND has the physical ability to make things happen.

They never looked like complete NFL QBs. Rob Johnson and JP Losman excited me more than either of those two, because both RJ and JP had the raw skills.

Tyrod is the first QB in a Bills uniform since Jimbo to give you the impression he is completely in control AND has the physical ability to make things happen.

I still want to see how the rest of the season plays out for Tyrod before he is declared the answer. Good tools and good results but too small a sample size.

You didn't think Fitz and Edwards looked good ever? Specifically the first 6 games of the 2008 season for Trent and the first 7 games of the 2011 season for Fitz?

Both these guys strung together a small sample of great games in which it looked like our QB situation was solved, only to discover they were aberrations. I'm just saying I hope that's not the case with Tyrod.

Trent looked competent, and like he might develop into a decent QB, but he never showed any big play potential. Through the first six games, he threw 4 TDs. For the season he threw 11.

Fitz was always limited by his athleticism.

This used to be the way it was done as many QBs are not ready for the NFL. There was a string of a few special talents entering the league and doing very well so now the 1st round QB starts right away and you roll the dice hoping he gets it.