Tyrod Taylor- The Sitting a QB Approach

JPLoserman

when it it brought up every week.... IMO it's a crusade.

Why not give EJ a multi year contract with incentives WRT to becoming a starter where they can possibly renegotiate after a select number of games.

If you are not sure you want him cut bate and move on. If you are comfortable then sign him for another few more years.

In a perfect world perhaps. If TT continues his ascent and EJ is entrenched as his backup, Manuel will choose FA and a chance to start. Period. Whaley has an obligation to not let him leave for no compensation, so that's what they will do. There is almost no chance that the Bills release EJM, so a trade is a realistic scenario unless he becomes the starter of TT flames out. The Bills will not give up an asset like a 1 st round QB for nothing.

who knows, hard to say.

Based on what I read, EJ said he wants to stay in Buffalo. Given that to be true, he might sign an extension over the 1 year option. Couldn't he ask for that $10 mil (+) guaranteed with a decent salary?

Hate to see the Bills make a big mistake by jumping to the wrong conclusion.

K.O was the highest paid backup in the league at 5mil per when he signed with the Bills before last season. There is no way EJM gets double that to backup. He can ask, but it's not happening. If the Bills don't pick up his option, he's traded to another team as a starter or chance to start.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was smart to keep EJ this year as he improved, but his salary was already paid on his rookie deal. Next year, he either accepts a really low price, trade him if someone wants a back up, and could give us a 5th as noone will givr more than that, and no matter what we draft someone high. I'm fine with drafting a 1st rounder and they sit for four years. If he can really develop into a stud, the only thing i worry about with TT is him getting hurt on a scramble. He's been smarter every game, so we still need insurance.

I'd love to see an EJ trade, 1st rounder picked, and hire an older back up. Is TT on a one year, or did we give a multi-year deal to him? I can't remember.

ok, forget it. I just checked on over the cap, and TT is a cap hit of $883,000 this year, next year $1,133,000, and in year 3 it is $1,333,300. This is great news as we will probably renegotiate, but hopefully not until the end of next year and we gain more cap wiggle room especially because Super Mario's contract will be up, and at his age we may exptend him, but at a reasonable rate.

This frees up the money we would need to pay TT. This is all predicated on TT continues to play at a top 5 level like he is now. I know it's only three games, but his accuracy, timing, etc has been excellent. Even when they blitz, he has the legs to get out of trouble. Yes, he's missed open WR in the Pats game, but he's getting better.

Go T Mobile!!!

It was smart to keep EJ this year as he improved, but his salary was already paid on his rookie deal. Next year, he either accepts a really low price, trade him if someone wants a back up, and could give us a 5th as noone will givr more than that, and no matter what we draft someone high. I'm fine with drafting a 1st rounder and they sit for four years. If he can really develop into a stud, the only thing i worry about with TT is him getting hurt on a scramble. He's been smarter every game, so we still need insurance.

I'd love to see an EJ trade, 1st rounder picked, and hire an older back up. Is TT on a one year, or did we give a multi-year deal to him? I can't remember.

ok, forget it. I just checked on over the cap, and TT is a cap hit of $883,000 this year, next year $1,133,000, and in year 3 it is $1,333,300. This is great news as we will probably renegotiate, but hopefully not until the end of next year and we gain more cap wiggle room especially because Super Mario's contract will be up, and at his age we may exptend him, but at a reasonable rate.

This frees up the money we would need to pay TT. This is all predicated on TT continues to play at a top 5 level like he is now. I know it's only three games, but his accuracy, timing, etc has been excellent. Even when they blitz, he has the legs to get out of trouble. Yes, he's missed open WR in the Pats game, but he's getting better.

Go T Mobile!!!

If Tyrod starts 50% of the games this year, or next year, his 2017 year is voided. Most likely they will work on a deal this offseason if everything goes according to plan.

the Patriots are doing it with Garappollo, the only problem is he stinks

I very much like Garappollo's skill set. He needs experience but the idea NE is showing is smart.

No need do anything now but you prepare for the inevitable.

Tyrod Taylor poised to earn incentives if Bills make playoffs

Tyrod Taylor signed a three-year contract that could be worth $7 million this offseason. Though he's set to make just $750,000 this season (along with a $400,000 signing bonus), he could earn as much as $3 million more dollars with playtime incentives and in performance bonuses, if the Bills make the playoffs, according to a source who has seen Taylor's contract.

if you have an offensive system that's built on the strengths of the O line, and limits how often they're asked to do things they're not good at doing - your offense can be productive.

if you add skill position players who complement that system - it can be dynamic

if you add a QB who can execute your offense - it can be dangerous

if you build an efficient defense and special teams unit to support your O - it can win the tourney

success in the pros is never attained by one player. all the pieces need to fit. teams who hope they'll fall in place by sheer dumb luck are doomed to squander high draft picks and some very gifted players, year after year. the time it takes to build a championship team is related to how competent the team's owners/managers/coaches are in setting a plan and coordinating their efforts to achieving their goals.

outside of one finite era - where a number of very talented players 'fell in place' - the Buffalo Bills have spent most of their existence languishing as the victims of bad luck.

it appears the franchise may have turned a corner with competent leadership.

You are one of the few posters to grasp the obvious. From 1999 (the year after Peyton Manning was drafted) through the 2014 draft exactly 200 QBs were drafted. 45 in the first round. About half of those first rounders started at least one game their rookie year. The reason they were first round draft picks is generally because GMs thought/hoped they would be ready to start early in their career. Almost no team drafts a QB in the first round thinking they will need to sit behind Fitzpatrick/Kolb/Hoyer type starters for 3 years before they are ready to go.

Virtually none of the other 155 drafted QBs started games their first year, unless injury made it necessary (Dalton, Carr come to mind as exceptions).

The common outcome for all drafted QB's is that the vast majority never become long term starters. If Taylor turns out to be a top QB, it will be a rarity, just like Brady or Romo. It won't because of some superior previously not understood "development" concept of a guy hanging on roster as a backup on a team that already had a good starter.

Thanks, the obvious escapes so many. Yours is a great post.

When will the never ending crusade to rid Buffalo of a #1 draft pick stop??

The initial signing of Matt Cassel at what $4.5 Million, would that have been cheaper or more expensive than an extension of EJ would be?

that was meant as sarcasm Kelly. The point of the comment was to indicate IMO the iinaccuracy of what WEO posted.

You draft QB's for a reason, the same reason for any player. You draft for the future and hope they pan out and become a great contributor to your team. No?

RGIII & McCoy. Both drafted early, both have 14 to 20ish starts.

You could not have misunderstood the point of this thread or my post more spectacularly.

And your claim of "sarcasm" makes no sense. You're like the guy who mis-steps in the giant pile of dog crap and then says "I meant to do that"...