Cleveland Browns are a disaster...

Big Turk

I don't necessarily disagree though prior ownership was such that there were really only two periods in the history of the franchise where everyone was on the same page. I also think the Pegulas were solely responsible for upgrading the coaching staff. Wilson was frequently suspect in his ability to do this.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to Ralph bash here. He was good for the region and the team. As of right now, the Pegulas are better.

I have no argument with this.

They should be starting Manziel. What do they have to lose?

What little dignity they have left.

Pettine is the best thing they have. Get rid of farmer.

Spoken for truth. The strength of an NFL Front Office is the quality and character of its GM.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will soon be a drafting manual...Chapter #1 will cover: What would Jerry Jones do if his son didn't take away the keys to the Cadilac? Whatever you think he'd do...do the opposite!

I was stunned when the Cowboys didn't draft Johnny Football. I was not stunned when the Browns did. There are certain events that seem to be a foregone conclusion to everyone except the people most closely involved. Who didn't question Reggie Bush's ability to be an every down back coming out of college? Who didn't question Manziel's ability to translate into an NFL QB? It just seems that some organizations have a special blindness that is only made worse by doubling down on failure. Admittedly, Reggie had a decent career, but I don't think he turned into the career bell-cow that most Saints fans dreamed of when he was picked. For some organizations, like the Saints, they can afford a luxury item. For some organizations, like the Bills when we picked Spiller, they can't!

It seems like the poor franchises tend to make the mistake of thinking they need to take the risky pick or they will fall further behind. Dallas' draft discipline lately (since Jr. Jones grabbed the reins) has been much better, as evidenced by their dominant OL. I was shocked by the graphic last night which showed that the Packers only have three, yes three (3!) players on their roster which weren't "homegrown" and one of those was James Jones who had left and returned. That is stunning. That is the way to run an organization long term! Careful, patient talent development. When you break away from that, you are tempted to make risky draft decisions and reach for a dud like Manziel.

Agree packers are a model franchise for numerous reasons. Publicly owned seemingly content not to build a mega-opolis stadium for no real great reason... But you just can't help but wonder if Favre then Rogers didn't happen, would they have found their way to an equivalent run of success.

It was not that long ago that Buffalo was arguably equally as messed up. The Pegulas have really started righting the ship. Let's hope this continues.

RWS was the same, God bless his soul. It didn't bother me that he didn't want to spend high dollar on free agency but it made me mad he didn't try to have the best scouting department in the NFL. This alone would've fixed ALOT of problems the Bills had through the years. A dynasty is always built through the draft.

the have made a good call on Manziel he'll get another shot but it should be spoon fed not fed to the sharks...its the first time they have showed any patience with anything. The problem when you lose people want change and it's been nothing but change there for a long time. They didnt bring McCown in as a long time answer - but to provide a little stability to the offense so OTHER players can develop. In my opinion it's the right move but how many losing seasons can Pettine go through without the winds of change blowing in again.

How do you feel about the Darby pick? Is that OK since he was a 2nd rounder?

I will brush the sarcasm aside and answer this.

Sure Darby seems like a great pick, one btw I didn't complain much about. And remember in theory, we would have had a first round selection in front of him if not for the Watson trade.

Now, think back if you will. The Bills waited a very long time to try to replace Jim, Andre, Thurman and Bruce, and by the time they did try it was far too late. They spent years using their best resources on defensive backs, and it got even worse when Levy reappeared as GM.

After 3 weeks the Bills look good, but imo they must be prepared for trouble ahead. Kyle is getting old. Glenn isn't playing so well. Mario can't stay great forever, and let's hope that Marcel keeps his head on straight with 100 million dollars in his pocket. Another center would be nice as well. And remember, this gets that much worse if Tyrod gets injured, etc.

So yes, once again please count me out of the first round defensive back club. This is a parade that I will step back from, and I nominate you personally to lead.

Edited by Bill from NYC

RWS was the same, God bless his soul. It didn't bother me that he didn't want to spend high dollar on free agency but it made me mad he didn't try to have the best scouting department in the NFL. This alone would've fixed ALOT of problems the Bills had through the years. A dynasty is always built through the draft.

Well said, our turnaround started with Nix, then Whaley. Solid drafting, trades, free agent pick ups over five years. Did we hit on all picks, no, but no team does hit on all picks. We also have new owners with deep pockets, who hired an experienced coaching staff, and in free agency spent to the cap with obvious areas of need. The Browns continue to make the same mistakes, and are paying for it. They remind me of the Bills from 2005-10 when we were the least talented team in the country, and poorly coached and managed.

I will brush the sarcasm aside and answer this.

Sure Darby seems like a great pick, one btw I didn't complain much about. And remember in theory, we would have had a first round selection in front of him if not for the Watson trade.

Now, think back if you will. The Bills waited a very long time to try to replace Jim, Andre, Thurman and Bruce, and by the time they did try it was far too late. They spent years using their best resources on defensive backs, and it got even worse when Levy reappeared as GM.

After 3 weeks the Bills look good, but imo they must be prepared for trouble ahead. Kyle is getting old. Glenn isn't playing so well. Mario can't stay great forever, and let's hope that Marcel keeps his head on straight with 100 million dollars in his pocket. Another center would be nice as well. And remember, this gets that much worse if Tyrod gets injured, etc.

So yes, once again please count me out of the first round defensive back club. This is a parade that I will step back from, and I nominate you personally to lead.

No sarcasm intended, sorry you took it that way. Was just curious how you felt about Darby.

I understand your point of view on DBs sometimes being fool's gold. But not having good ones can leave gaping holes and can get you beat in a hurry.

As for what I personally subscribe to, I'm not smart enough or haven't studied it enough to have my own "drafting philosophy". Fortunately these days I'm able to just trust our front office then buckle in every Sunday.

No sarcasm intended, sorry you took it that way. Was just curious how you felt about Darby.

I understand your point of view on DBs sometimes being fool's gold. But not having good ones can leave gaping holes and can get you beat in a hurry.

As for what I personally subscribe to, I'm not smart enough or haven't studied it enough to have my own "drafting philosophy". Fortunately these days I'm able to just trust our front office then buckle in every Sunday.

What may be even more important is that our front office never waste a first rounder on a RB again.

So the verdict is already in on Johnny Manziel after, what, 3 games- the last of which he played fairly well in? Just making sure this board remains consistent with its evaluation of young, inexperienced first round QB's.

He completed 8 of 15 passes and threw 2 wide open TDs...that's setting the bar kinda low don't Ya think?

IMO, Darby might be the MVP on defense thus far...3 INT's and has played well enough to allow a lot of flexibility within the scheme to do what they want and not babysit him.

So the verdict is already in on Johnny Manziel after, what, 3 games- the last of which he played fairly well in? Just making sure this board remains consistent with its evaluation of young, inexperienced first round QB's.

It's depends if they are non-Bills. We are perfectly willing to invest the time to let a young QB develop, as long as it's on another team. Here in Buffalo we pretty much pass judgment based on tea leaves from the first OTA.

Agree packers are a model franchise for numerous reasons. Publicly owned seemingly content not to build a mega-opolis stadium for no real great reason... But you just can't help but wonder if Favre then Rogers didn't happen, would they have found their way to an equivalent run of success.

People forget they had a playoff drought that went like 25 years before all this success. Edited by PromoTheRobot

No, let me apologize and you are right in that a weak, depleted secondary can truly hurt a team because even the greatest lines are unable to provide pressure on every down.

If Darcy plays at this level or improves, he will be a total steal. It's hard to break into the NFL as a corner. Sometimes they take a few years to develop, and the next thing you know they are UFAs demanding 50 million dollar and up contracts. I for one would much rather spend the money on a quarterback and big guys.

It's depends if they are non-Bills. We are perfectly willing to invest the time to let a young QB develop, as long as it's on another team. Here in Buffalo we pretty much pass judgment based on tea leaves from the first OTA.

People forget they had a playoff drought that went like 25 years before all this success.

...and they forget that the team "gave away" half of its home games to Milwaukee for years

To Bill, unless you draft an OL in round one, you're doing it wrong. Don't take the snark personally.

And it's getting worse before it gets better...

Looks like Pettine suffers from the same stubborn-ness as Dumb Dumb Dougie...

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/841327

I blame Brian Urlacher. If that dumb son of a B word didn't find it necessary to invite Paris Hilton to a MNF game in Chicago, there would be no NFL websites reporting on stuff they see at TMZ.

That said, note to Greg Roman: See Pettine? Just because you get offered a HC position doesn't mean you should always take it.

Pettine is the best thing they have. Get rid of farmer.

Yep, but the owner has to go first. Starts right at the top. I tell my boy (9yrs old) that sorry, it's not going to improve anytime soon. I should have pushed the Bills on him more.

Cleveland. The land of nothing.

Brown helmet. That's it.

What does that even mean? Clevland "Browns" They like the color brown THAT much??? (It probably means something. But dont care enough to google clevand browns wiki)

What if there were The "Blacks" or "Whites" teams?

The Los angeles "Whites" versus the Oklahoma "blacks" are going at it again. The winner of this game to face the "browns" next week.

It's ok to suicide if you're a cleveland brown fan. Ouch....Okay even that is too much. On second thought. Nope. It's ok.