Wild Card Race and Intel on Teams in the Hunt

BuffaloBaumer

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in Britain all my life.... I am British. It comes down to your view on the use of plural pronouns. I am an English graduate and my view having undertaken considerable study on the subject is that plural pronouns should be avoided where there singular pronoun would be gender specific but where the singular pronoun is gender neutral (ie where the singular pronoun would be "it") it is legitimate to use the plural pronoun it its place.

I didn't realise that was seen as a British vs American thing?

I notice it mostly on football broadcasts. During the World Cup, you hear "England are playing well", where in the US we typically say "England is playing well". In the US, nearly all of our sports teams are plural, so you always hear "the Bills are playing well", but if referred to by city, it's "Buffalo is playing well". As George Bernard Shaw said, the Americans and the British are separated by a common language :flirt:

I notice it mostly on football broadcasts. During the World Cup, you hear "England are playing well", where in the US we typically say "England is playing well". In the US, nearly all of our sports teams are plural, so you always hear "the Bills are playing well", but if referred to by city, it's "Buffalo is playing well". As George Bernard Shaw said, the Americans and the British are separated by a common language :flirt:

Well indeed.... add it to the many incidental linguistic quirks that we have between us.

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: #Bills up to eighth in AFC, can move into postseason spot with win and help in Week 14 http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/07/bills-up-to-eighth-in-afc-can-move-into-postseason-spot-with-win-and-help-in-week-14/

The Buffalo Bills' victory over the Houston Texans was a needed step in the right direction toward the postseason.

Unfortunately, the out-of-town scoreboard did not cooperate for the Bills.

Buffalo is up to eighth in the AFC after Sunday's 30-21 victory over the Texans, picking up an important conference victory and the head-to-head tiebreaker over Houston.

Victories by the New York Jets, Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers, however, mean the Bills are still looking up at those three teams in the conference standings.

Here is the updated playoff picture in the AFC, along with what the Bills are hoping for in Week 14.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

According to the mathematics and statistics, the Bills have about a 20% chance of making the playoffs.

The loss to Jax is looking like a killer.

I read it where they should not be up to about 33 %. Or maybe that was last week before the Chiefs loss

Rodak of ESPN says19 percent

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22634/despite-win-bills-playoff-chances-fall-to-19-percent

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/12/afc_playoff_picture_2015_buffalo_bills_postseason_chances_go_down_despite_win_ov.html

Why did the Bills' chances go down? The Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers all won on Sunday, making things a bit more difficult on the Bills. Still, if Buffalo wins its final four games, it should be in good position to make the postseason.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

@nflukhank

.@greggrosenthal does a great job of breaking down the AFC Playoff morass: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000596456/article/afc-playoff-picture-osweiler-dalton-could-duel

Four teams for two spots

So we've mentally eliminated the AFC South teams from wild-card contention because they simply aren't that good. That leaves Kansas City, New York, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo battling for two spots. Forget the 5-7 teams because we strongly believe it will take 10 wins to make the playoffs.

The Bills are a game back, but have a beneficial schedule down the stretch: at Eagles, at Redskins, vs. Cowboys, and home for the Jets. But we don't trust Rex Ryan's group to be consistent enough to avoid an upset.

The Jets' next two games are against three-win teams: Tennessee and Dallas. Take care of business there, and they would be 9-5 with two massive games remaining against the Patriots and Bills to finish the season. Get to 10 wins and tiebreaks will be in play.

The Chiefs are easily the safest bet of the group to make the playoffs. They are playing as well as any team in the NFL, and they don't face a team with a winning record the rest of the way.

The Jets, Steelers, and Bills will be rooting for the Chiefs to slip. We will not be surprised if the Chiefs wind up entering the playoffs on a 10-game winning streak.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Question,

When was the last time the Bills won 4 games in a row?

I honestly dont remember

Not being sarcastic

CBF

2008. We started the season 4-0 with Trent Edwards at QB. We went on to be 5-1 and then we fell off the wagon and only won 2 games the rest of the year.

Deion and Marshall did a bit on NFL network predicting the records for AFC wild card contenders. They only did the Jets, Chiefs and Steelers, go figure, but Deion predicted the Steelers would lose their next two and Marshall thinks the Jets will lose to us week 17. That would be the ideal scenario, as it would mean we could theoretically lose one more game and still get in. I really want to see Pittsburgh lose this week. That will help us a great deal.

Deion and Marshall did a bit on NFL network predicting the records for AFC wild card contenders. They only did the Jets, Chiefs and Steelers, go figure, but Deion predicted the Steelers would lose their next two and Marshall thinks the Jets will lose to us week 17. That would be the ideal scenario, as it would mean we could theoretically lose one more game and still get in. I really want to see Pittsburgh lose this week. That will help us a great deal.

Pitt HAS to lose this week. That game is as big as ours

Pitt HAS to lose this week. That game is as big as ours

In so many ways...

First off is the obvious benefit to the Bills.

Almost equally important is the damage it does to NE*'s SB 50 run. Cincy or Denver needs to be #1 in the playoffs. I want NE* to have to beat Cincy AND Denver, not some softball like the colts in NE* in the first game where they hardly have to try.

In so many ways...

Almost equally important is the damage it does to NE*'s SB 50 run. Cincy or Denver needs to be #1 in the playoffs. I want NE* to have to beat Cincy AND Denver, not some softball like the colts in NE* in the first game where they hardly have to try.

If the Patriots are the 3rd seed, then they will play a WC team Buffalo, KC, PIT or NY Jets in the first wild card. Yes...the Bengals victory over the Steelers would be huge!!!!

So if we finish 10-6, we basically will play in NE, Denver, or Cinci. Not sure which would be better. You would think Cinci given their history of losing n the playoffs, but my hope would be the Pats. No one would expect us to win, and a win over the Pats in the playoffs would be so rewarding. We'll never make the SB so to knock them off would be great.

It's not as if we have a better shot at beating Denver or Cinci.

So if we finish 10-6, we basically will play in NE, Denver, or Cinci. Not sure which would be better. You would think Cinci given their history of losing n the playoffs, but my hope would be the Pats. No one would expect us to win, and a win over the Pats in the playoffs would be so rewarding. We'll never make the SB so to knock them off would be great.

It's not as if we have a better shot at beating Denver or Cinci.

Or we finish 10-6 and stay home in January, which if Pitt wins this Sunday is a very possible outcome sadly.

In so many ways...

Yup. Plus a lower seed means less of a chance of home field advantage.