"Conservative" play calling in the second half last week

For all of the people complaining about the change in the play calling and conservative Defense in the second half last week, please remember the reaction when Marrone did not take this approach against the Pats*. We were dominating them in a game (I believe it was last year) and instead of running the ball more and eating up the clock in order to protect our lead, we continued with a no huddle offense and aggressive play calling and ultimately lost a game we should have won.

Be happy Rex and company are smart coaches who understand how to protect a lead and close out a game against a very dangerous opponent. There will be games this year where he will be able to step on opponents throats and dominate wire to wire, but against a team like the Colts or Pats* you do what you can to win.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Nothing would have turned that game around faster than the Bills giving up a turnover and the Colts scoring quickly. I thought the second half was a masterful job of continuing to work over a team, but doing it in a deliberate and careful way. Hopefully we will have to employ the same strategy on Sunday.

For all of the people complaining about the change in the play calling and conservative Defense in the second half last week, please remember the reaction when Marrone did not take this approach against the Pats*. We were dominating them in a game (I believe it was last year) and instead of running the ball more and eating up the clock in order to protect our lead, we continued with a no huddle offense and aggressive play calling and ultimately lost a game we should have won.

Be happy Rex and company are smart coaches who understand how to protect a lead and close out a game against a very dangerous opponent. There will be games this year where he will be able to step on opponents throats and dominate wire to wire, but against a team like the Colts or Pats* you do what you can to win.

they needed to be aggressive longer, backing off after the last score in the beginning of the third quarter is too soon.

I actually remember the reaction when Marrone went conservative with a 20 point lead on the Jets, and everyone lost their minds.

they needed to be aggressive longer, backing off after the last score in the beginning of the third quarter is too soon.

I'm not so sure. The Colts drive immediately after our last touchdown took 8+ minutes; it was close to the end of the third quarter already.

Granted, I was a little nervous after Luck's easy touchdown and conversion for two.

Don't forget, a series of 1st down holding calls put the offense behind the eight ball and further dictated a conservative approach.

The game you're referring to is the 2013 home opener, and Bills were not in a no huddle at the end. The one play that stopped the clock was an incomplete pass to Stevie when Pats* were selling out for a run. At best, that series could have been 35 - 50 seconds longer, but still enough time for Brady to drive down field for the FG.

I know what you're saying, but... What exactly was lost by the way they went about it? They came away with an easy win, still, which is very important. They kept many more bullets in their chamber and off of game film, ready to be fired at NE without them being able to Gameplan for them by already seeing them in an unnecessarily aggressive 4th quarter vs. Colts. The only negative is that the colts scored a couple touchdowns and accumulated a few yards, which will effect the bills' defensive rankings, which is something we like to look at from time to time. In the end, though, I think this increased our chances to beat NE by leaving things in the playbook with NE coming this week, so I am okay with it. Hopefully we roll one of the next two teams for that satisfying 10+ point win, holding the other team to under 10 (a tough call against NE but possible against Miami) before our next 4 softer games, where we should just out-physical them whether they know what we're going to do or not, and go at least 3-1 vs them.

Agreed. How many times have you seen the Sabres, even when they were good, enter the third period with a lead, go into a defensive shell, and lose the lead. When you put yourself too soon into a situation where you give the opposition offensive impetus, confidence, and drive, and your defense gets worn down, you're asking for trouble, especially against a good team. Remember the Oilers against the Bills?

I liked the way we protected the lead last week and milked the clock to seal the win.

I want to get to the point where we can protect a lead where we know we're running the ball and they know we're running the ball and we consistently generate first downs and there's nothing they can do to stop us. Our O-line isn't at the level for us to win this way.

FP

Lets be honest......the game was in the bag before the start of the 2nd half.....

I have no problem with running plays that burn clock when you have a team under your thumb....that is actually smart

But you HAVE to be able to run the ball when your grinding it out....you have to churn out first downs on the ground. That was the part that the team needs to work on.

I really do believe that REX and Roman talked at half and had a strategy not to show to many wrinkles on Offense, they didn't need to.

Rex most likely told Roman lets protect the ball and the D will finish what the O has set up. The fact we saw zero read option plays makes me wonder how much we will see this week. Rex knows BB is a master at game planning. Roman didn't pull out a lot of plays because he had no need to. Lets hope we have the same luxury this week.

That was week 1 2013 I believe you are referring to. Marrone and Hackett are idiots though. There is a difference between going no huddle and snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock opposed to staying with your game plan while taking all the time off the play clock. I for one do think they were a bit conservative on Sunday. Against great qbs like tom, Luck, Manning, Rodgers you are playing with fire if you go 3 and out 3 consecutive times. It worked yes, but as we have seen with the dick jauron days, conservative can be your worst enemy

Edited by billsfan11