"Conservative" play calling in the second half last week

Agreed. How many times have you seen the Sabres, even when they were good, enter the third period with a lead, go into a defensive shell, and lose the lead. When you put yourself too soon into a situation where you give the opposition offensive impetus, confidence, and drive, and your defense gets worn down, you're asking for trouble, especially against a good team. Remember the Oilers against the Bills?

I think this kind of goes against your point. The reason the Bills were able to come back in that game was because the Oilers just kept passing and we were able to get picks. They DIDN'T go conservative and it cost them dearly.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they needed to be aggressive longer, backing off after the last score in the beginning of the third quarter is too soon.

i disagree. "letting" the Colts score Six and what turned out to be 8 was great coaching. the Colts used up 10 minutes and the rest of the quarter. Buffalo kept everything in front of them on D. I think the Coaching was a definite upgrade over the past. It was a fun game to watch for a change. I think we are in for a good year.

I actually expect the same game plan from the Pats as Indy. Stop McCoy with Run Blitz and Double Sammy. Maybe they'll disguise their coverage more but I don't know how the Pats can do anything more than that. Their defense looked really bad against Pitt.

While I'm okay with running out the clock, all this talk about not showing more of the playbook seems off. They could re-run plays from the 1st half that were aggressive, without exposing more of the playbook. And while I'm sure there are lot's of wrinkles needed in a gameplan, every play doesn't need to be a mysterious new invention to be effective. It's much more about execution.

Every play is a wrinkle, and something for the other team to log as a marker in some way or the other. We are playing poker here and it's gonna be a long night. Don't want to show any more than you have to, especially with the Pats on deck.

Edited by iinii

They did what they wanted to do. Took some chances early, got the lead and left it to the defense to finish the game. Get used to it folks, we'll be seeing quite a bit of this (I hope).

Realize too that the third quarter was 2 drives and done. That long Colts drive ate up over 9 minutes. There was nothing the Bills offense could do during that time.

I liked the way we protected the lead last week and milked the clock to seal the win.

I want to get to the point where we can protect a lead where we know we're running the ball and they know we're running the ball and we consistently generate first downs and there's nothing they can do to stop us. Our O-line isn't at the level for us to win this way.

FP

That's the dream!