Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is pessimistic but I have been reading this thread and it seems to be where the "hockey guys" have settled. It seems like they think the Sabres will make the playoffs some time before 2020 but maybe not much sooner. That does not seem right to me. Half the friggin league makes the playoffs. Even so, they think this is an awesome scenario. All of it leaves me confused.

When I have had the opportunity to watch them they look like a playoff team VERY soon assuming one of their horrifyingly bad goalies improves or they upgrade the position through trade or FA. The pucks will go in the nets for them next year. If they can keep some out I think they should make it and be a team that nobody really wants to play.

I read the Hockey Futures Board devoted to the Sabres. A mix of hockey knowledge, but the regular posters who seem insightful to me are relatively optimistic. My own sense matches their optimism, but as I live in Atlanta and only get to see a few games a year, I mostly rely on the opinions of those who see the team frequently. If you are talking 2020 to win a Cup, maybe I can see the outside date, though I think they will contend before that. Playoffs, as you note, is a relatively low bar. They will surely meet that soon, probably next year.

There are knowledgeable hockey fans here who follow college hockey. If the Sabres were in a position to sign one college player who would be the better option: Cagguila or Vesey?

Edited by JohnC

There are knowledgeable hockey fans here who follow college hockey. If the Sabres were in a position to sign one college player who would be the better option: Cagguila or Vesey?

IMO, Caggiula. Just looks like a more explosive player.

GO SABRES!!!

GO SABRES!!!

Thanks for the opinion. The Sabres need a forward who can handle Eichel's hard and deft passes. Eichel should have had at least a dozen more assists. Moulson botched so many beautiful passes when he was on Jack's line.

Thanks for the opinion. The Sabres need a forward who can handle Eichel's hard and deft passes. Eichel should have had at least a dozen more assists. Moulson botched so many beautiful passes when he was on Jack's line.

Kane botched a ton of great feeds from Eichel as well. Both him and Mouslon should know that you need to keep your stick on the ice in those areas, especially with a QB like Jack out there.

GO SABRES!!!

Kane botched a ton of great feeds from Eichel as well. Both him and Mouslon should know that you need to keep your stick on the ice in those areas, especially with a QB like Jack out there.

GO SABRES!!!

It's going to be interesting to see if Ennis is in the GM's plan as a forward on one of the two top lines. I'm not sure if there is a fit but if he can regain his form he certainly would be a bonus for this team who need finishers.

It's going to be interesting to see if Ennis is in the GM's plan as a forward on one of the two top lines. I'm not sure if there is a fit but if he can regain his form he certainly would be a bonus for this team who need finishers.

I hope the same for Ennis, but I wouldn't be surprised if GMTM offers him up as part of a trade package for that LHD we need. Between him and Moulson, that was 40 goals we were banking on this season and I'm convinced those 40 goals would have been the difference in at least the 6 extra games we needed to win in order to qualify for the playoffs this year. Oh well.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree that it is pessimistic but I have been reading this thread and it seems to be where the "hockey guys" have settled. It seems like they think the Sabres will make the playoffs some time before 2020 but maybe not much sooner. That does not seem right to me. Half the friggin league makes the playoffs. Even so, they think this is an awesome scenario. All of it leaves me confused.

When I have had the opportunity to watch them they look like a playoff team VERY soon assuming one of their horrifyingly bad goalies improves or they upgrade the position through trade or FA. The pucks will go in the nets for them next year. If they can keep some out I think they should make it and be a team that nobody really wants to play.

How long do you expect it to take to finish in the top half of the league? (aka, make the playoffs?) Four years? You know the Sabres improved by 27 points and were 12 points out of the playoffs one year after being dead last? So you say it will take 4 years to improve by 6 wins?

I hope the same for Ennis, but I wouldn't be surprised if GMTM offers him up as part of a trade package for that LHD we need. Between him and Moulson, that was 40 goals we were banking on this season and I'm convinced those 40 goals would have been the difference in at least the 6 extra games we needed to win in order to qualify for the playoffs this year. Oh well.

GO SABRES!!!

No one would give a bag of pucks for Ennis right now.

How long do you expect it to take to finish in the top half of the league? (aka, make the playoffs?) Four years? You know the Sabres improved by 27 points and were 12 points out of the playoffs one year after being dead last? So you say it will take 4 years to improve by 6 wins?

It isn't me that thinks that. It is me that is disappointed that the knowledgable hockey guys in this thread seem to think that....at least a lot of them.

I believe Ennis would have been traded, if healthy, at last seasons deadline.

GO SABRES!!!

While you're probably right, I'd go with Vesey because of his size. You just can't teach that big body and every time I watch the Kings and Ducks in the post season it's just so obvious that they're difficult to play against because they just send wave after wave of huge, fast, skilled players at you.