Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

Yeah our old buddy Michal Neuvirth stole that game. How do you get outshot 44 to 11 and win?

The jury is still out on Lehner but you had Neuvirth, got rid of him, and gave up a 1st round pick for a goalie that was injured most of the season, and yet his back up looked as good if not better. If this were the Bills, GMTM would be roasted over a spit for that deal.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jury is still out on Lehner but you had Neuvirth, got rid of him, and gave up a 1st round pick for a goalie that was injured most of the season, and yet his back up looked as good if not better. If this were the Bills, GMTM would be roasted over a spit for that deal.

Yeah, losing out on a backup goalie with a long history of being just good enough to get you beat is going to haunt him forever. Care to guess who wasn't the number one goalie in Philadelphia when the playoffs started? Yeah, Neuvirth. He didn't get a playoff start until they were down 3-0 in the series and had been blown out 6-1 in game 3.

We had our Neuvirth this year. His name is Chad Johnson. Their careers have very similar trajectories (though Neuvirth was given the nod a little earlier in his career as a Capital and didn't get it done). In the short term Lehner's injury history is a worry but when he was in the net this season he showed why GMTM wanted him. I'm not at all concerned about dropping a late first rounder on an NHL Player. Late NHL first rounders are the equivalent of NFL 3rd/4th rounders. They're rarely big difference makers and many make almost no impact in the NHL. Those that do generally don't show up for 4 to 5 years.

Haha nice find, what an awesome game that was. It will be interesting to see if anyone can stop the Blues now. Parayako had a great series for a rook.

Nah, keeping Neuvirth could have cost us Eichel.

Also remember draft lottery is this Saturday at 7PM

2016 NHL Draft Lottery FAQ: All you need to know

We didn't have to play Neuvirth last year.

His contract was up. You want to bench him for a month and then just let him walk and get nothing? We got Chad Johnson and a 3rd round pick this year for him, that's really not a bad deal.

His contract was up. You want to bench him for a month and then just let him walk and get nothing? We got Chad Johnson and a 3rd round pick this year for him, that's really not a bad deal.

Yeah that's true. GMTM is convinced that Lehner will be a stud eventually. He certainly has a little psycho in him like Hasek. I'd hate to lose Johnson though.

Yeah that's true. GMTM is convinced that Lehner will be a stud eventually. He certainly has a little psycho in him like Hasek. I'd hate to lose Johnson though.

Johnson is JAG. There are guys like him available every off season. If someone offers him a deal that would hurt the future salary cap, you have to let him walk.

I think you guys will know a lot more about Lehner come training camp. Does he show up fit? That will say a lot about whether he is serious about being a #1 guy.

He wasn't able to work out last year before coming to training camp and definitely came in out of shape. That was most likely was a contributing factor for his ankle injury. Hopefully he is 100% well before camp this season...

Edited by ricojes

Johnson is JAG. There are guys like him available every off season. If someone offers him a deal that would hurt the future salary cap, you have to let him walk.

I can't picture a guy like him getting anything more than a 2 year deal. That kind of player is never going to spark up a bidding war. I'm surprised every time I see him mentioned as any kind of priority.

I can't picture a guy like him getting anything more than a 2 year deal. That kind of player is never going to spark up a bidding war. I'm surprised every time I see him mentioned as any kind of priority.

The only people who think a guy like Johnson is a priority are the ones who don't really know hockey. Johnson is a typical NHL backup goalie - he's nothing beyond that. He should be able to come in and win about half his games on a decent team. He'll steal a game or two and give up a game or two but he's not a franchise guy or anything close to it.

He's an Enroth, Halak, Neuvirth, etc. J.A.G. I would like to see the Sabres keep him for continuity sake and because he seems like a good dude so he won't mess up the chemistry in the room (I think Neuvirth might be a bit of a B word but that's not based on anything real) but if he walks he's nowhere near irreplaceable.

It's going to be an interesting offseason for this team. I can't wait to see what GMTM has going. He's not going to sit still.

It's going to be an interesting offseason for this team. I can't wait to see what GMTM has going. He's not going to sit still.

I look at this as one of the most potentially interesting offseasons in Buffalo sports history. With that kind of wiggle room for the Sabres, that kind of burgeoning young corps and the number of legitimately good veteran players who are likely to be casualties of other teams' poorly thought out salary structures, there is actually potential for this team to go from historically bad to a divisional champion in just two seasons.

I look at this as one of the most potentially interesting offseasons in Buffalo sports history. With that kind of wiggle room for the Sabres, that kind of burgeoning young corps and the number of legitimately good veteran players who are likely to be casualties of other teams' poorly thought out salary structures, there is actually potential for this team to go from historically bad to a divisional champion in just two seasons.

I agree. For once I think we have the right guy pulling the strings.

Jamie McGinn doing his best to help land Sabres the 2nd round pick.

Damn, it's a 3rd! Be the 1 St to tell you I don't know if there is a big difference in guys making the NHL and having an impact between the 2nd and 3 rd rounds, but I know some stat master somewhere sure as chit does!

Also, I did not watch one minute of this series, so have no thought on how McGinn played, including last night, but found this tweet interesting

"Jamie McGinn's night: Was on the ice for the two Predators goals, missed a wide open net, played one shift in the third period"

Maybe he won't no so expensive LOL