Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

I remember when Sergei Makarov won the Calder Trophy as a 31 year old "rookie". Ridiculous IMO.

And then they changed the rule. They'll never be able to prevent someone from winning based on playing in a league like the KHL because they don't want to acknowledge those leagues as being on the same level as the NHL. Any idea to disqualify anyone with prior pro experience screws over the guy who puts in his work at the AHL level.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not first, you're last. Panarin should run away with the Calder voting, so I don't care one bit who the other two finalists are. I know some might say that he's too old, but rules are rules and Panarin should be the clear winner of the award.

It isn't his age that bothers me, but more the fact that he shared a line with the league's leading point scorer which probably inflated Panarin's totals a great deal. I could see if Panarin brought a historically mediocre Kane's numbers up, but that's not the case. He is good but to me Panarin was more like the guy who was good enough to stay out of the way.

@SabresProspects

If not being a Calder finalist gives 15 more fire, awesome for #Sabres. Chip on shoulder = good.

That's where I come down. I also like the Toronto columnist's "Eichel can't carry Auston's skates to the rink" comments a week ago.

15 is going to be out for bear.

It isn't his age that bothers me, but more the fact that he shared a line with the league's leading point scorer which probably inflated Panarin's totals a great deal. I could see if Panarin brought a historically mediocre Kane's numbers up, but that's not the case. He is good but to me Panarin was more like the guy who was good enough to stay out of the way.

Kane cleared his previous personal best by 18 points. Panarin more than likely played a big part in that. Panarin had a better season than any other rookie this year and is the clear choice for the award. It will be fun though to see where McDavid and Eichel are once they hit 24. The ceiling is certainly much higher for them, but 2015-16 was Panarin's year.

That's where I come down. I also like the Toronto columnist's "Eichel can't carry Auston's skates to the rink" comments a week ago.

I mean is this really happening? this crap is already being spewed by Toronto media?...further fuels my deep disdain for that organization and their fans....go get em Jack...

I mean is this really happening? this crap is already being spewed by Toronto media?...further fuels my deep disdain for that organization and their fans....go get em Jack...

It may have been comments from an unnamed scout, quoted by a Toronto columnist...I'm not sure. But it was in print.

That actually came from Matthews' coach Marc Crawford and the media just picked up on it.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That actually came from Matthews coach Marc Crawford and the media just picked up on it.

Isn't Crawford the terrible coach that fell into a cup with the Avs? I could have coached that team to a cup so his opinion means Jack....pun intended

Kane cleared his previous personal best by 18 points. Panarin more than likely played a big part in that. Panarin had a better season than any other rookie this year and is the clear choice for the award. It will be fun though to see where McDavid and Eichel are once they hit 24. The ceiling is certainly much higher for them, but 2015-16 was Panarin's year.

Good points. I prefer the rookie's season who was an integral part of a team that made a vast improvement over the rookie's season on a winning machine. I'll defer because I'm just not sure if Panarin was a cog or a major piece.

If you're not first, you're last. Panarin should run away with the Calder voting, so I don't care one bit who the other two finalists are. I know some might say that he's too old, but rules are rules and Panarin should be the clear winner of the award.

If I could vote, I would vote for Mcjesus. Averaged over a pt per game and was awesome. Oh, and he's a true rookie.

Yup. The rivalry and hatred is back on. There was a brief hiatus where both teams were irrelevant for a few years but with all the young talent these 2 teams have the next 5 to 10 years the hate will flow forth.

What if a guy puts in a year at juniors/college, then two in the AHL? Is he a rookie?

Why this award in the NHL is tough...guys take so many different roads to the NHL

If you come from the ohl or college to the nhl, you are a rookie. I also think players who play for a minimal amount of time in the AHL, khl, Finnish elite league, sweedish elite league etc can still be considered nhl rookies.

If I was running the rules committe I would say you have to be under 21 years old at the start of the season to be considered a rookie and played no more than 1 year in the AHL or KHL.

but this is just me rambling

If you come from the ohl or college to the nhl, you are a rookie. I also think players who play for a minimal amount of time in the AHL, khl, Finnish elite league, sweedish elite league etc can still be considered nhl rookies.

If I was running the rules committe I would say you have to be under 21 years old at the start of the season to be considered a rookie and played no more than 1 year in the AHL or KHL.

but this is just me rambling

i am not big into the awards , but that suggestion sounds reasonable to me.

How thin would the field be with that rule? You just threw away a decent portion of the class. This year was a bit of a special case with a handful of guys making an early leap to a significant role, but it's not always going to be like that. With a cutoff of 21, you're punishing what has always been the classic route of NHL development, spending a handful of years in the minors learning the game. If you don't want to call those older guys rookies, you may as well throw away their restriction for entry level contracts. How's that for one hell of a can of worms.

@ISShockey

ISS Top 30 Release for May. Revealing @ISSHockey rankings of top prospects for 2016 NHL Draft: http://iss.tw/1WImVxs

ISS releases its May 2016 draft rankings - this is the second-to-last rankings that it will issue. Here's the top-15:

1. Auston Matthews, C, Zurich ZSC
2. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW, Karpat
3. Patrik Laine, LW, Tappara
4. Alexander Nylander, RW, Mississauga
5. Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW/C, Cape Breton

6. Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London
7. Logan Brown, C, Windsor
8. Jakob Chychrun, LHD, Sarnia
9. Tyson Jost, RW, Penticton
10. Mikhail Sergachev, LHD, Windsor

11. Olli Juolevi, LHD, London
12. Clayton Keller, C, USNTDP