Not Impressed With Roman Today

K-9

I agree that I wasn't impressed with Roman for much of the day.

Watkins was largely doubled, but every single time they lined up with a slot receiver to his side, he was singled up with Davis--and he was open. Now, some of that is on Taylor to see it and make the decision, but the OC needs to be in his helmet letting him know.

Now, there is probably something to be said for not revealing your whole bag of tricks right out of the gate, especially in a game you're handily winning, so I'll give G-Ro the benefit of the doubt at this early juncture. I do, however, want to see him call a better game.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watkins was largely doubled, but every single time they lined up with a slot receiver to his side, he was singled up with Davis--and he was open. Now, some of that is on Taylor to see it and make the decision, but the OC needs to be in his helmet letting him know.

Now, there is probably something to be said for not revealing your whole bag of tricks right out of the gate, especially in a game you're handily winning, so I'll give G-Ro the benefit of the doubt at this early juncture. I do, however, want to see him call a better game.

itll be interesting as guys break down some of the all 22 to see the story there. i know i noticed a few times just on live tv that he had a ton of space. i dont think the "davis was blanketing him all day long" will hold water.

id bet that they get it all synced up with more time, but its definitely the kind of thing to keep an eye on.

I think an OC has to get a feel for what his players can do. What the QB's strenghts and weaknesses are, who his best weapons are, and the O-lines strenghts and weaknesses are. So I take Roman's coaching effort with a grain of salt. He needs to get a feel for his players. After a few weeks I think you will see more so what his actual gameplan will be. I suspect Roman will start conservative and then slowly open up until Tyrod and the crew show their limitations.

again, if you can get through your whole bag of tricks in one game, thats quite the issue.

i dont think K9 is calling for the double reverse flea flicker as much as a few more shots in the intermediate/deep passing game and designing a play or two to get to our best (of many excellent) play maker.

I dont think a few crossing patterns would be out of this world, and would accomplish what k9 is talking about in the second half.

I think it's a fair comment, I don't have any problem with the criticism, my question would be when was this suppose to happen? When the Bills got the ball in the second half they drove down the field in 11 plays including some intermediate throws to Woods and Clay but the running/screen game was churning yards out that drive so I don't see why he needed to change up the play calls. The Bills second possession in the 2nd half came with :54 seconds left in the 3rd and started off with a holding call. The next play calls were run, pass(Taylor scans and is looking downfield and dumps to Clay when no one is open), pass(bad handle of the ball by Taylor so no idea where the ball was suppose to go). The next series of plays were in the 4th qtr with 11:21 remaining and again stared with a holding call. The plays then went a deep throw to Watkins in double coverage, a run and then another attempted pass that Tyrod knocked down. The Bills got lucky on a muffed punt and were already in FG range but instead of 3 straight runs, they attempted a deep pass to Watkins in the endzone.

The Bills don't get the ball back until there 5:55 left in the 4th. Should they have kept attempting to score more points or seeing as they were up by at least 3 scores try to run the clock out? I guess that's up for debate but I don't have any problem with them playing conservative.

The opening drive in the 2nd half was a good one and made quite the statement IMO. No need to show all of the tricks in the bag once they were up 24-0. More to come.

Exactly. As a metaphor, Winning the war is going the Super Bowl and winning it. Winning a single game is just winning a battle. We were winning the battle convincingly, which was great. The goal yesterday was a W in a single game. We succeeded .

TT has little film on him, as does the whole team in their current configuration. There are a lot of great opposing "generals" to face the rest of the season. Film allows them to find your weaknesses and tendencies as a team, and as individual players. The more film, the easier it is for the great opposing "generals" to create a successful plan how to beat you.

Why show more than you need to when you are comfortably ahead?

Is it really about just going for the jugular, or a desire and especially an a personal impatience to see all that the Bill's really have in their arsenal?

I would rather win the war than to be wowed by shock and thunder too soon before it is actually required. The less film they have on the Bill's bag of tricks and strategy, the better.

Patience is a virtue. Victory in the war is the sweetest, not just some quick one game/battle gratification.

itll be interesting as guys break down some of the all 22 to see the story there. i know i noticed a few times just on live tv that he had a ton of space. i dont think the "davis was blanketing him all day long" will hold water.

id bet that they get it all synced up with more time, but its definitely the kind of thing to keep an eye on.

I'd also like to see the A22...being in the stands, you could clearly see that Indy was rolling a safety to Sammy whenever he was isolated, which may have been something that Roman used to get other guys open.

The two things that really stuck out were Sammy being singled up whenever they lined up a slot WR on his side (and he was typically open for fun in those situations), and that he was running all alone over the middle on the 3 or 4 crossing routes they ran with him.

I agree that they'll probably get on the same page over time.

5) Communication errors or whatever it was that left receivers uncovered. Get it straight before next week, guys. Brady was watching, taking notes, and naming names.

So true. The great ones watch film on you and take notes before they face you. And regardless of what we think of him, as a QB, Brady is still one of the best ever. Even if we doubt his integrity and believe he will do ANYTHING to win, honest or not.

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

No matter what they do there will always be someone to B***CH about it BECAUSE THEY ARE A BILLS FAN !!

Hearing this from you gives it some validity. I felt early in the game that the Colts staff were ahead of our guys(both sides of the ball). Then after a couple series it seemed that we made adjustments and took over until the last quarter and the game was decided.

Roman can't be happy with the running game to the right side and the lack of Sammy involvement.

If we can win convincingly against that team with them taking away McCoy and Watkins I'll take it. We do as you say, have things we can and will improve.

As far as Watkins, I think they were just staying away from Vontae Davis, he followed Sammie everywhere. Even on the long throw, Watkins had some space when he turned up field and Davis closed it. Maybe Sammy's hip played into the play calling directly or from a lack of practice time they just decided to not to chance it since otherwise they were playing well.

Bill Cowher and the Steelers would put in second halves like that one when they were ahead. Sometimes it bit them but most of the time they just closed the game out. We need to run those plays with Williams though and I think it will be interesting to see if we have the stones to sit McCoy. And we need to stop taking penalties too.

I thought after the muffed punt we should have gone for the jugular. Don't even bother with running it. After a mistake like that you have to be super aggressive. You could really strike a mental blow there and I didn't like the play calling/results.

Overall I think the plan was to keep the clock moving on offense. Since we were successful with the scripted plays we kept to that plan. I got the feeling there was a little "we should be able to do this" type of play calling in the second half and Roman used it as an extended preseason. Since there were some blocking breakdowns maybe Roman took the opportunity to put some guys (Henderson) in an uncomfortable position instead of trying to help them by running away from them. The one screen pass in the fourth was on the right and I think it was Henderson who missed a block that lead to a short gain instead of a longer one. You could have run that play to the other side if Henderson was having a bad day which GunnerBill pointed out in another thread he was.

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

I have ZERO issues with Romans playcalling. We kicked the colts ass the first half, the game was over by the middle of the 3rd. We didn't need to target Sammy, we didn't need to throw the kitchen sink at them. All and all a great job IMO.

I'd also like to see the A22...being in the stands, you could clearly see that Indy was rolling a safety to Sammy whenever he was isolated, which may have been something that Roman used to get other guys open.

The two things that really stuck out were Sammy being singled up whenever they lined up a slot WR on his side (and he was typically open for fun in those situations), and that he was running all alone over the middle on the 3 or 4 crossing routes they ran with him.

I agree that they'll probably get on the same page over time.

Yea - I think I mentioned somewhere the tough throw made to the sideline that worked out great but underneath Sammy didn't have anyone within 10 yards it seemed (in real time, so may be wrong).

Struck me as an easier throw, good chance to get him involved and with space like that it could've been explosive. Play worked out though, and I'll admit I could be wrong there but it seems to fit what you saw too.

So let's maybe switch this to - how does Belichick defend this offense after Sunday? I'm guessing he clogs the middle, flushing Tyrod and the RBs to the outside where they're much less dangerous...

He attempts to stop the run first, like almost any other coach would do. Then you force us to throw, which most defenses want you to do.

I don't think McCoy is less dangerous on the outside, I think he is quite dangerous if he gets around the corner.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm really hoping this is sarcasm.

He attempts to stop the run first, like almost any other coach would do. Then you force us to throw, which most defenses want you to do.

I don't think McCoy is less dangerous on the outside, I think he is quite dangerous if he gets around the corner.

I think McCoy is at his most dangerous around the corner. And Williams looked like a boss running it up the middle.