Rex has "full confidence" in Dan Carpenter

YoloinOhio

And said he has "skin like an armadillo"

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/20769/rex-ryan-has-full-confidence-in-dan-carpenter

"But I will say this: he's kicked better [this week], for some reason. Maybe it's game time and all that stuff. And kickers are a little different sometimes. I remember Matt Stover. My gosh, sometimes he couldn't make a kick [in the preseason] and then you'd go in the real game and he doesn't miss them.

Winner!

I think Carp will be ok though. It's tough having to put down your dog.

Yes the guys they worked out this week are not good but maybe Rex didn't want them to be if you know what I mean? This was the final kind of kick up the ass for Carpenter. They like that he is proven in Buffalo where it is not easy to kick but they felt he needed pushing and it was like "look we are bringing guys in you better sort it out."

I think it goes one of two ways this week. Either he is his usual DC self or he misses a couple of clutch kicks and then next week we bring in real competition not bums and consider moving on.

That quote reads like Rexy has no idea DC is coming off an injury and missed all that practice time. Puzzling

No, it reads like Rex understands that perfectly but is letting DC know the season is starting so it's time to get past the excuses and perform.

It could also be that the other kickers they worked out this week weren't any better

You can bet on it, but I don't think they brought in any of the kickers who might have shown better. I mean, Billy Cundiff and Alex Henery?

I think all that was just intended as a wake-up-shot to Carpenter, but if he misses as many FG as the Stillers kicker, they'll be bringing in the best that's out there.

Edited by Hopeful

No, it reads like Rex understands that perfectly but is letting DC know the season is starting so it's time to get past the excuses and perform.

Thank you. That is the implication and the right message to send at this beautiful time of year.

"For some reason" is my favorite part of the quote. I like that he'll make himself sound essentially like an idiot in order to give motivation that may or may not be needed.

Does Armadillo Skin need the kid gloves? Maybe not but what's the downside ^_^

Edited by Aaron

Even though I believe the Bills were hamstrung by who would accept the job because of a lot of factors, I was ambivalent toward the Mularkey hire but gave him like everyone the benefit of the doubt. I didn't like him much after awhile and wasn't disappointed when he was gone. I didn't really like the Chan hire but I knew at that point no good coach was going to come here. He won me over after a year because I thought he made a good amount out of a little on offense but his choices of Edwards and especially Wannestat even though I was in favor made it clear Chan had to go. Marrone was okay but I turned on him quick and think he was horrible. We won in spite of him not because of him.

Rex, however, I like. It's just a perception and I understand people not liking him but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially because of Roman, who I think is more important than Rex.

Of course, no one knows anything until the games are played and sometimes you don't even know after that starts. But this could be a special season.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

It could also be that the other kickers they worked out this week weren't any better

Given the guys they brought in, my response is, "Duh".

Carpenter has been a very reliable K. He looked fine today, when it counted.