9/11 - How quickly they forget

2002 - Putnam County, NY puts up small monument in park as a memorial to the 8 county residents that were killed in 9/11. The monument also includes a small piece of steel from the World Trade Center.

Google Street View

2015 - State Department of Transportation replaces the traffic signal at the intersection, and decides to place the new traffic signal pole inside the park (land that they do not own) and 6 inches away from the monument, and tears up all the grass and brick walls around the monument:

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/2015/09/10/traffic-light-carmel-sept-11th-memorial/71978132/

here’s a passage from Lee Harris’s Civilization And Its Enemies.

Forgetfulness occurs when those who have been long inured to civilized order can no longer remember a time in which they had to wonder whether their crops would grow to maturity without being stolen or their children sold into slavery by a victorious foe.

They forget that in time of danger, in the face of the Enemy, they must trust and confide in each other, or perish.

They forget, in short, that there has ever been a category of human experience called the Enemy.
And that, before 9/11, was what had happened to us. The very concept of the Enemy had been banished from our moral and political vocabulary. An enemy was just a friend we hadn’t done enough for — yet. Or perhaps there had been a misunderstanding, or an oversight on our part — something that we could correct.
And this means that that our first task is that we must try to grasp what the concept of the Enemy really means.

The Enemy is someone who is willing to die in order to kill you. And while it is true that the Enemy always hates us for a reason — it is his reason, and not ours.

I thought they tore away @ the monument. It was 6 inches away... Looks like more in the photo... The grass I suppose would get replanted and the brick walls have nothing to do with monument which they didn't touch.

The horror! Not that I am against the monument, which I am not. I don't understand what people are upset about? That the light is too close? I mean, it isn't like they disrespected the monument, or did they?

Progress still has to go on. Where would the light go? I don't think it was anything to do w/"how quickly they forget" more so than people have to complain about every little thing. I envisoned light poles there and everything fixed up. What's the problem... It actually sheds light on the monument.

It makes good news that the big bad gov't is so callous... BUT are they really?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

heres a passage from Lee Harriss Civilization And Its Enemies.

Forgetfulness occurs when those who have been long inured to civilized order can no longer remember a time in which they had to wonder whether their crops would grow to maturity without being stolen or their children sold into slavery by a victorious foe.

They forget that in time of danger, in the face of the Enemy, they must trust and confide in each other, or perish.

They forget, in short, that there has ever been a category of human experience called the Enemy. And that, before 9/11, was what had happened to us. The very concept of the Enemy had been banished from our moral and political vocabulary. An enemy was just a friend we hadnt done enough for yet. Or perhaps there had been a misunderstanding, or an oversight on our part something that we could correct. And this means that that our first task is that we must try to grasp what the concept of the Enemy really means.

The Enemy is someone who is willing to die in order to kill you. And while it is true that the Enemy always hates us for a reason it is his reason, and not ours.

Horrible thinking divoricing our policies and actions from responsibility. That is your deal though....always about "them" and not us. Unless of course we're not bombing "them" enough

Horrible thinking divoricing our policies and actions from responsibility. That is your deal though....always about "them" and not us. Unless of course we're not bombing "them" enough

Are you Al Qaeda, because you certainly sound like one of them. Sure, we're responsible for a certain percentage of Islamic phucks intent on our destruction or subjugation because we don't worship like them. Your act is old and tiresome and seems a lot like crusading to me.

• 6 years later...

QUESTION ASKED: The Forgetting of 9/11: How did this coordinated mass murder become so irrelevant?

Muslim alienation and fear inside the U.S. has become the perennial 9/11 story, not the 3,000 Americans who were murdered and the costs associated with the attacks that have mounted into the trillions of dollars. So breathless are they to tell this tale that they produce news stories in which they have to admit that the lead item was not classified as a hate crime by the FBI. Overlook that fact, we are told, and focus instead on the words of the director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a radical group which has had demonstrable ties to Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood: “9/11 is always a particularly difficult day.”

In these stories, there is never any effort made to consider how much more difficult the anniversary might be for the many Americans who lost loved ones on that day.

By contrast, look for commemoration of, for example, the heroic deeds of the passengers of United Flight 93, who overwhelmed the terrorists who hijacked their plane and prevented the completion of their dreadful mission. When you do find such stories in the mainstream media, they’ll inevitably be spun in a direction consonant with Woke politics. 

9/11 has already reached a space of collective oblivion that it took Pearl Harbor many more decades to reach. This is because the force that ultimately pushed both of these hallowed days of  our civil religion into the twisted narratives of the America-hating Woke elite is the same: the fracturing of our culture into two irreconcilable sides, and the vast and rapid increase of the cultural reach of those who want all narratives of traditional American heroism and national identity to disappear.

Read the whole thing.

https://americanmind.org/salvo/the-forgetting-of-9-11/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-cost-of-9-11-in-dollars/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/muslim-americans-reported-hate-incidents-nationwide-9-11-anniversary-n1279282

2 hours ago, DRsGhost said:

Leftists are completely sane.

Hoax.

Jan 6 worse than 911 unbelievable that anyone can be that dumb. It’s really not close either. The summer of 2020 was far worse than Jan 6. Supposedly twitter has a policy against misinformation. Drivel like this makes it clear they don’t. 

A quick check around the news yesterday, only Fox had 9/11 as their top story online.  CNN, MSNBC, Drudge, Philly Inquirer, Pittsburgh Post Gazette either had the Queen or football.  If you told your 2002-era selves that, they wouldn't believe you.  

As time has gone on, my interest in 9/11 has only grown because I no longer buy the official story.  I used to.  If the official story was anywhere near the truth, the US government, through the Bush/Obama/Trump/Biden administrations, wouldn't be going to such great lengths to keep that information classified.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

As time has gone on, my interest in 9/11 has only grown because I no longer buy the official story.  I used to.  If the official story was anywhere near the truth, the US government, through the Bush/Obama/Trump/Biden administrations, wouldn't be going to such great lengths to keep that information classified.  

I would be glad to discuss any questions you may have.

American 77, the Pentagon airplane, was a trip I flew for two years prior to becoming a check captain.

Knowing those folks, all the flight attendants and the copilot, who I flew a number of trips with, it became a small passion of mine to address conspiracy theories.

If you have those issues or questions, I would be happy to address them through personal messages or publicly.

As a precursor, regardless of your suspicions, you aren't going to find anything.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 9/11/2022 at 6:36 PM, DRsGhost said:

Hoax.

holy christ wtf. doesnt matter what "side" one is on, those examples are pathetic.

Hoax.

holy christ wtf. doesnt matter what "side" one is on, those examples are pathetic.

Hoax.

holy christ wtf. doesnt matter which "side" one is on, those examples are pathetic.