Cassel released

FluffHead

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats will bring him in and get a copy of the playbook. Then they will let him go.

This is the downside, but obviously he had to go. I'm hoping that this sort of thing is in Rex's strategic plans, and what he can give up in such a scenario isn't that in depth, and the real secrets and plans start tomorrow.

So not quite the Lawyer Malloy last second thing, but a normal pre-season pre-53 casualty with only so much to share. But as a former Patriot with them as a week 2 opponent, it seems pretty likely that he spends some time talking with them, unless a team like the Eagles signs him immediately.

@ChrisBrownBills

The #Bills made final moves to get to 53 - DT Red Bryant, QB Matt Cassel, C Dalton Freeman, S Jonathan Meeks, LB Kevin Reddick.

Whoa, did NOT see that coming. I hope it's not a case of "business as usual, the Bean Counters won".

I have no strong opinions on Red Bryant or Kevin Reddick, but if we're keeping Urbik I hope to high heaven he learns how to snap, or that Wood lives a charmed football life.

Edited by Hopeful

@SalSports

Matt Cassel's release says much more about EJ Manuel than it does Cassel, who had a good camp in his own right. EJ came a long way.

Agree with this completely. Cassel was steady/safe, but the offense stalled and put up zero points with him at the helm in the preseason. But EJ flashed the potential we were promised, moved the sticks, didn't turn it over, and made NFL-level throws while playing for his Bills and possibly NFL career. Cassel may have gotten a raw deal in terms of playing time, but that's life and I think we got our best case scenario with Tyrod as QB1 and EJ as QB2.

Like I said before, EJ had the toughest road to hoe because he was inherited by the current staff whereas they went out and got TT and MC. He started off rough but showed that he deserved to be considered in the starting QB convo. And if training camp had been longer, he might have taken the job outright. But there's always next year and I'm just glad they didn't go with Cassel and waste money on keeping him to be #3.

Not to mention that he was hoeing a road. I mean, who does that?

(It's "row to hoe." Is there any metaphor this board's never !@#$ed up?)