Cassel released

FluffHead

Like I said before, EJ had the toughest road to hoe because he was inherited by the current staff whereas they went out and got TT and MC. He started off rough but showed that he deserved to be considered in the starting QB convo. And if training camp had been longer, he might have taken the job outright. But there's always next year and I'm just glad they didn't go with Cassel and waste money on keeping him to be #3.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to a point. I think the long perfect pass in the Panther game started it for the coaches and for EJ himself. Then after the first couple series of bad snaps and bad OL play and average QBing, with his Bills career on the line EJ put together the perfect drive with no less than five great throws on it including two 4-14 great throws in a row to win the game. Rex and the coaches loved that. Then he had the perfect third game as you said.

But they had been seeing improvement over time as EJ got comfortable in the offense and got more confidence and that translated into better accuracy and performance.

You know what else probably helped? I bet they got several phone calls inquiring about possibly trading EJ and zero phone calls about people wanting Cassel. That might help a coach think, the rest of the league sees potential in this guy where they don't see the other guy having enough value to pursue.

Not saying it was a difference maker. Just saying that it probably reassured the coach and Whaley that they were making the right decision to cut Cassel loose while keeping EJ.

Like I said before, EJ had the toughest road to hoe because he was inherited by the current staff whereas they went out and got TT and MC. He started off rough but showed that he deserved to be considered in the starting QB convo. And if training camp had been longer, he might have taken the job outright. But there's always next year and I'm just glad they didn't go with Cassel and waste money on keeping him to be #3.

You don't hoe roads. You hoe rows.

Just sayin....

I think they saw more consistency from EJ. Beginning of camp it was a lot of good day, bad day, bad day, good day. Then after the Browns game he started stringing together good practices.

My recollection of the reports early in camp was, every QB stunk.

nice to see buffalo media reporting the news, rather than predicting it

But the predictions are so much more fun. Especially when everyone claims the guy is going to be the starter and then is later cut.

Edited by The Wiz

I doubt any team signs Cassel until week 1 of the regular season has been completed because his entire contract would be guaranteed

That's probably right. I also doubt he would go to the Patriots. He would want a place where he would be the backup, and there are a bunch of teams with worse number twos than him.