Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

I think there is a bit of confusion, that comment about Firing Whaley and rehiring FJ wasn't serious. It was a hypothetical to the situation of a GM going rogue and doing things without informing the owner. I don't actually believe Whaley went rogue.

I think most of us understand you were being sarcastic in response to another poster who actually was advocating Whaley being fired...

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

@ByTimGraham: Bills organization will remain unified when speaking publicly, but two sources tell me Doug Whaley went rogue in cutting Fred Jackson.

What is Tim Graham's track record on what he reports? And how good, generally, are his sources?

Edit: and if Graham now admits that Whaley consulted the Pegulas and they supported the decision (Rex has also said publically he was in on discussion), what exactly is meant by "going rogue"?

Edited by Hopeful

Tim Graham

@ByTimGraham

Source w/direct knowledge of Jackson's release: "Going rogue doesn't mean Whaley didn't tell the owners before he did it."

Tim Graham

@ByTimGraham

Whaley did speak with Terry and Kim Pegula before Fred Jackson was cut. Two sources tell me they were surprised w/decision but supported.

27 pages only to get this admission?

One of the reasons I think this move was made was because they want McCoy on the field at all times.

Bingo. And there may even be associated team chemistry issues and a perceived advantage to setting a new direction. Sometimes that means breaking with the past. There was never any doubt who was physically the top dog in the backfield, now there is no doubt psychologically. The Bills are not the same team without Fred and I'm sure thats something they had to be aware of. Add in the fact that, though he can still play, Fred is a 34 year old running back going on 35 and is expensive and you get what you get.

I think there is a bit of confusion, that comment about Firing Whaley and rehiring FJ wasn't serious. It was a hypothetical to the situation of a GM going rogue and doing things without informing the owner. I don't actually believe Whaley went rogue.

I would hope not since the entire notion of 'Whaley going rogue' is laughably idiotic. He's the GENERAL MANAGER! His job is to CUT PLAYERS. As far as anyone here knows, he doesn't need to ask permission or seek counsel or inform the owner about what players get signed or cut.

As someone pointed out above, we should be very happy we don't have a Dan Snyder like owner sticking his nose into football decisions. The Pegulas know how to operate large businesses from the top -- that is their skill set. They likely don't know **** about evaluating football talent and that's why like any good business owner, they empower their management team to make such decisions on their own.

@ByTimGraham: There are a lot of key people in football operations, coaching staff and administration who were left out.

@ByTimGraham: Whaley made a decision many important people didn't know was coming.

Who is important Tim? Grasping at straws and your legitimacy, you are. Idiot.

I would hope not since the entire notion of 'Whaley going rogue' is laughably idiotic. He's the GENERAL MANAGER! His job is to CUT PLAYERS. As far as anyone here knows, he doesn't need to ask permission or seek counsel or inform the owner about what players get signed or cut.

As someone pointed out above, we should be very happy we don't have a Dan Snyder like owner sticking his nose into football decisions. The Pegulas know how to operate large businesses from the top -- that is their skill set. They likely don't know **** about evaluating football talent and that's why like any good business owner, they empower their management team to make such decisions on their own.

I guess I am not understanding the "went rogue" part... Rex has input, but Whaley makes final call on the 53. pegula said ok. I don't see the issue.

Some head coaches have control over the 53, Rex is not one of them.

I"m with you. Unless they are all lying through their teeth and Rex and Pegula weren't consulted at all, what does "go rogue" even mean here?

Management, by its nature, is never honest. Smart workers learn early that when a manager says something like "I think you've done an outstanding job and I intend to see that you get promoted next spring" that is a statement of *present intent*, and if you don't get promoted and you hear something like "we have to take the big picture and factor in overall organizational impact" when you don't get promoted, it doesn't mean your manager is dishonest, it means he made a statement of present intent and when things changed, so did his intent.

27 pages only to get this admission?

@ByTimGraham

Source w/direct knowledge of Jackson's release: "Going rogue doesn't mean Whaley didn't tell the owners before he did it."

so he went rogue by informing his bosses in advance of his move. great job tim. really, fantastic.