Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope not since the entire notion of 'Whaley going rogue' is laughably idiotic. He's the GENERAL MANAGER! His job is to CUT PLAYERS. As far as anyone here knows, he doesn't need to ask permission or seek counsel or inform the owner about what players get signed or cut.

With a thrid string long snapper you are more than likely correct. High profile players i would suspect are viewed differently. Freddie, EJ,

Even Harvin probably would have to be run buy Whaley's boss. In his case ownership.

I"m with you. Unless they are all lying through their teeth and Rex and Pegula weren't consulted at all, what does "go rogue" even mean here?

Management, by its nature, is never honest. Smart workers learn early that when a manager says something like "I think you've done an outstanding job and I intend to see that you get promoted next spring" that is a statement of *present intent*, and if you don't get promoted and you hear something like "we have to take the big picture and factor in overall organizational impact" when you don't get promoted, it doesn't mean your manager is dishonest, it means he made a statement of present intent and when things changed, so did his intent.

Exactly. Going rogue implies that pretty much nobody was consulted, which was impossible to believe for a player like Fred Jackson. Tim Graham is a joker.

Most of last year Goodwin was not hurt. He was ready to go but Marrone didn't play him. Fred has had serious injuries that affected him more than half of the season in each of the last three years. And then again this preseason.

How often do the trainers come on the field when Goodwin touches the ball vs Fred?

So now going rogue is "some coaches" didn't agree with the decision?

That's just ridiculous. There was not a chance in hell that he didn't discuss this with all of the people who need to know, which is Terry and Kim and Rex and Roman. It's possible that Roman wanted to keep him. But it's a GMs job for the total roster, and Rex obviously is right up there with Whaley on these decisions.

The story was a farce to begin with.

@SalSports: Source tells me Whaley absolutely did talk to Pegulas before Fred was cut; it was some members of coaching staff not in agreement.

@SalSports: From same source: Pegulas signed off on the move after conversation with Whaley. Again, some coaches were not on board with the move.

@ByTimGraham: There are a lot of key people in football operations, coaching staff and administration who were left out.

@ByTimGraham: Whaley made a decision many important people didn't know was coming.

Apparently, even the Pegulas understand that Whaley's entire reputation, and maybe legacy, rests on making the Bryce Brown trade work.... :rolleyes:

This is business. Never have seen an employee be happy at being let go. We don't know what was said behind closed doors to Fred Jackson in the offseason, but he can't be blind as to what the Bills were doing...They traded for McCoy and drafted Karlos Williams. Fred has been a great player but he's 34 and was never going to be the feature back over McCoy. To make the team, he would have to perform on special teams better than K.Williams or Dixon, which he can't. It's a solid decision and sometimes it doesn't feel good right away but it's the right decision.

Good Luck Fred and hope to see you back in some capacity with the Buffalo Bills in the future.

I think the person who is posting misinterpreted the meaning of "stocking the cupboard" (=controlling the 53 man roster) and "let him pull down and make whatever he wants to make" (= gameday roster and player roles and responsibilities)

It's been publically explained several times that Whaley has control of the 53 man roster and reports directly to Pegula.

That said, all successful Coach/GM combinations work by the GM building a close understanding and collaboration on what sort of players the coach needs to execute his schemes.

Edited by Hopeful

Tim said that Whaley is supposed to communicate with the football ops people before making the decision. They didn't have a heads up.

So basically no one disagreed on cutting him, but the marketing dept is pissed because M&T bank is mad at them now so they snitched on Whaley to TG because now they don't feel important.

Was it worth risking your job to keep Bryce over Freddy?

Kirby, I respect your views very much, but I just don't see this as being a 'risk your job' event. And if it is, T-Pegs is no less mercurial than Ralph and the only difference the franchise has now is a bigger checkbook to play with.

No one can be happy when these kind of hard realities butt up against "fandamonium," but it's the nature of the GM job responsibilities. Ask any GM in the league what they dislike the most about the role and they'll tell you it's making decisions like this.

But whether it's Belichick, Newsome,Thompson ("hey Brett, we're sorry but...") or our own Battling Bill Polian back in the day, they do happen. And the organization moves on.

The only ire I have for this is the way Tweedle Dee and Dumb (TG and the Buckster) are playing it out. They get the benefit of hiding behind anonymous 'sources' that could be Fred, his agent or the fly on the wall in the OBD men's room. TG in particular, who's only role at the Snooze appears to be 'agitator' and immature Twitter empresario...

So now going rogue is "some coaches" didn't agree with the decision?

That's just ridiculous. There was not a chance in hell that he didn't discuss this with all of the people who need to know, which is Terry and Kim and Rex and Roman. It's possible that Roman wanted to keep him. But it's a GMs job for the total roster, and Rex obviously is right up there with Whaley on these decisions.

The story was a farce to begin with.

when people question why we give Timmy a hard time, the reply from now on should be the "went rogue" tweet, and the clarification 12 hours later of what it meant.