Will the Bills save $5.5M and take a risk?

KRT88

I'm amazed that people believe that because of last night that we now have 3 capable starters. We don't know if we have 1 capable starter for the regular season. The Steelers defense has looked like hot garbage all preseason. It was their 4th preseason game and they sat their starters early plus they were missing 3 starters to begin with...

You keep all 3 and hope they manage through the season. Given the styles of play, it's a good bet EJ or Tyrod gets hurt if they are the starter.

It's not just because of last night. The book on Matt Cassel was written long ago and both Taylor and Manuel have proven to everyone (with the exception of the local media) that they are better than him right now and they are only going to get better.

Cassel is a guy who's NFL relevancy past by five years ago. The Bills are a team of the future and they really no longer need Matt Cassel's emergency services. I would imagine that next week in Detroit, Matt Simms will show that he will be able to fill the "emergency" role just as good as Cassel would.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cut Cassel now, Belichek will scoop him up fast, and learn Romans offense. It would save money if he's gone but why not keep all 3? Lots of insurance!

This is the smartest take on the thread. Cassell would be a Patriot within days.

If he's 3rd, or even neck and neck at 2--- you cut him. And it's not to save money, but to reallocate cap space to something else.

It's entirely too much cap tied up in case of 2 injuries. If he's their 1, or clear cut 2, keep him.

Edited by NoSaint

If he's 3rd, or even neck and neck at 2--- you cut him. And it's not to save money, but to reallocate cap space to something else.

It's entirely too much cap tied up in case of 2 injuries. If he's their 1, or clear cut 2, keep him.

While that argument has merit, Tyrod may or may not have a good chance of getting hurt with his style of play. Then you have EJ, a player who has had a couple injuries already. Then SImms. That's uncomfortable. Especially when it was only two years ago we had 2 QB injuries. It happened to the Packers recently as well.

Just as an aside, who would we sign with Cassel's money? What FA do we want right now?

Edited by FireChan

I thought the reason we got Roman as our O.Coordinator was because he could design an offense that would utilize a mobile QB like Taylor or EJ. So I think either of those 2 will be the starter with EJ getting my vote. But I think you definitely keep all 3 especially when you look at the cost. We have spent a lot to have a good year - I wouldn't quibble on paying 3 guys.

While that argument has merit, Tyrod may or may not have a good chance of getting hurt with his style of play. Then you have EJ, a player who has had a couple injuries already. Then SImms. That's uncomfortable. Especially when it was only two years ago we had 2 QB injuries. It happened to the Packers recently as well.

Just as an aside, who would we sign with Cassel's money? What FA do we want right now?

Doesn't have to be right now. Can roll it over. 5m is a starting caliber player elsewhere on this team.

But who knows, maybe a lawyer Milloy comes free in final cuts.

Sure, it's nice to be 3 deep, but is 3rd wheel a prudent spot to commit 3-4% of your cap? That could be a nice piece of a contract for bradham. Or a starting guard next year. Which would you prefer?

Edited by NoSaint

This is the smartest take on the thread. Cassell would be a Patriot within days.

I think people worry too often about Bills players going to NE but in this case Cassel would be a great fit returning to NE with Brady possibly out for 4 games.

It's a legit concern, IMO.

You never want to help a team in your division but that goes many times over for helping them at their QB position.

I'm much less worried about the playbook info than giving them help at the position, though.

I think people worry too often about Bills players going to NE but in this case Cassel would be a great fit returning to NE with Brady possibly out for 4 games.

It's a legit concern, IMO.

You never want to help a team in your division but that goes many times over for helping them at their QB position.

I'm much less worried about the playbook info than giving them help at the position, though.

Cassel hasn't been with the Pats for over 6 years now. I doubt he could come in and pick up their system in time to play before Tommy Boy returns.

If you cut Cassel now, Belichek will scoop him up fast, and learn Romans offense. It would save money if he's gone but why not keep all 3? Lots of insurance!

Why couldn't Belichick just look at films of the 49ers for the past few years?

They also don't need to waste cap money. It can go to an extension for one of the younger guys.

Maybe but I don't see it as a waste.

Cassel hasn't been with the Pats for over 6 years now. I doubt he could come in and pick up their system in time to play before Tommy Boy returns.

"McDaniels directed the Matt Cassel-led Patriots' offense as the team finished the season with an 11-5 record."

Spent years in McDaniels system but hey, not going to argue with you about it.

Maybe but I don't see it as a waste.

If he's at best the 3rd QB, the odds of him playing are minuscule. If the Bills do lose both guys in a game, they go with Simms and see how that goes. If it doesn't, give Cassel a call and make him a decent offer to return.

That's the point I hope everyone understands. No one knows these guys better than the coaches do. Whichever QB is chosen to start week #1, I have 100% confidence in the decision the coaches arrvie at. It's great to know we have 3 capable starters if a guy goes down.

and an OC we can have some trust in!

None of the QB's should be cut, at least until after the NE game. With Brady out, I am sure the Pats will sign the QB we release.

If the Patriots want to sign Cassel and have him go against the Bills D like he has in training camp.....Sign me up.

I hope they keep all 3 and put Simms on PS. I don't get the mentality that now we have options, let's start trading them to optimize. JMO, we will be happy we kept our options. This position is SO important it is just fine to have some redundancy.

IMO

I'm not sure Simms is eligible for practice squad.

How often do teams get down to their 3rd string QB in games? I don't know, I'm asking, but I'd be willing to bet the percentage is minuscule.

Arizona got into playoffs on 3rd QB last year. Have seen teams down to 4th QB.

Note: running QBs tend to be knocked out faster than pocket QBs UNLESS the running QB is shifty and good at dodging/avoiding hits rather than one that has not learned to slide.

Arizona got into playoffs on 3rd QB last year. Have seen teams down to 4th QB.

2013 Bills were down to 4th QB. Oh how quickly some people forget.

That said, I'd risk it and cut(trade) Cassel. I can't see him being able to progress us through the playoffs, and I can't see that going with Simms for a few games during season(compared to Cassel) is going to much hinder our chances at making the playoffs. I would definitely take the risk that our #1 and #2 QBs don't both go down for a substantial amount of time(at the same time) during the season, but make it back for the playoffs.