323 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start vs. Indy?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tyrod would be my first choice. If that's so, Manuel should be the backup. The two of them have lit it up so well this preseason, it's getting hard not to just cut Cassell. If you feel there's a need for a 3rd string (emergency) QB, use Simms. I'm sure he's cheaper than Cassell.

That's how well EJ played today.

Consider me a convert to the TT bandwagon. Though I would not get too excited about today. It was preseason for one thing and Pittsburgh's secondary was dreadful. I still think whoever it ends up being will struggle and 9 wins, maybe 10, is the best we'll do.

This is interesting and going strictly by production, which it seems WGR ignores, EJ would be the starter without question:

Matt Cassel has done absolutely nothing wrong in his two preseason appearances as he’s gone 13-of-15 for 83 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. The problem is he’s really made nothing happen.

In three games Manuel has gone 20-of-30 for 358 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions.

Taylor’s three games have seen him go 24-of-31 for 236 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions. What Taylor has brought to the offense is running yards. He has 11 carries for 108 yards and a touchdown.

http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-QBs-have-put-in-their-best-work/21911851

This does not take into consideration all scoring drives which makes the contest a little closer between Manuel and TT, but EJ still holds the lead.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

PS: If Cassel is named starter after how EJ and TT have played, I might just throw up.

If Cassel is named the starter I'll have to question how legitimate the QB competition was to begin with.

I think they'll name Tyrod the starter as he's Rex's guy. In a close contest a coach can probably be counted on picking "his" guy. That being said I think EJ is the better long term solution and he's the guy I'd pick but I'm fine with Taylor too. Both guys have been impressive.

Tyrod has won the competition outright I think. Consistent. Pocket presence. Reproducible throws. Long drive after long drive. He's currently the best QB on the team with a ton of upside. I'm also thrilled that EJ is progressing, and I think we've got ourselves a nice little situation here! Let's hope things looks this rosy in a few months.

Edited by NickelCity

I think the ex-anti-EJ crowd should have to say a little more than "I was wrong" or "I'll eat my crow now". That's all and they can continue posting like nothing ever transpired and they weren't total A***** about it for the entire duration. Same thing about the accountability of local "reporters" with multicapital letters next to their names (e.g. WGR, BN, and others (but I don't want to hurt peoples feelings))

As I have the last few years, going EJ. I think he gives us the best chance. He has shown vast improvement in all areas.

Consider me a convert to the TT bandwagon. Though I would not get too excited about today. It was preseason for one thing and Pittsburgh's secondary was dreadful. I still think whoever it ends up being will struggle and 9 wins, maybe 10, is the best we'll do.

Pits D WAS dreadful, and Taylor still couldn't throw it in for 6. Same thing all pre-season. EJs the guy in my opinion. Either way, as long as MC doesn't start we are going to be fine. I am pretty dam excited for this season. Edited by DirtDart

I have to admit...coming into this QB battle, I had little faith in TT really seizing the job and thought it was going to be between Cassel and EJ. My preference was definitely EJ because Cassel had no upside, but I was fine with who ever won the job.

Taylor on the other hand has really won me over and proved to me has more to offer than originally expected. EJ and TT have really risen to the top and Cassel, like most believe, should be at best 3rd string.

So, its a clear choice between EJ and TT. Here are my thoughts...I admit, I am fine either way, I have a lot of excitement for both. I also recognize that if whoever wins the job starts slow and isn't getting the job done, we have another exciting guy with potential waiting in the wings. So now to my thoughts on the 2:

EJ - Something about this kid makes him elevate when his back is against the wall. I love that about him. He has 3 comeback wins in only 14 starts. All the pressure in the world was on him today and he had NO margin for error, was missing ALL of our starting skill players at WR and RB, and he came out and killed it. This kid rises to the occasion and stays cool and calm. His issue has been starting slow, playing too reserved, and not playing with decisive and quick decision. Roman really seems to have worked on that a lot. Plus this kid does have 14 NFL starts under his belt.

TT - This kid is like a young Vick who doesn't murder animals. He is electric with his feet and he has proven he can beat you with his arm so far. I am very impressed with his play and he's proven my initial doubts of being a real factor in this race wrong. Concerns are about whether or not he will be able to make the progressions through his reads or will he have happy feet and be too eager to run. Today he was great, but I also noticed he had guys wide open and clear throws. Once week 1 comes and he faces the full starting units, full speed, full gamelans, etc those guys wont be so open so often, so I still wonder and worry about his progression through his targets. But hey, can't knock him for rifling perfect throws to wide open players today, but none the less, I don't know how much he's been tested in going through progressions.

Verdict: I am honestly torn. EJ has worked so hard to get to this point, and so has TT. Both have proven they deserved the chance and both have risen to the challenge. EJ's experience of 14 started games is not to be over looked IMO. I almost feel like as close as I have these guys that the 14 starts could be the difference. Then I go back and go through TT the last 2 games and its like damn, how do we not give this kid a chance. I am leaning very slightly to EJ, but honestly, I am fine with either one. Come tomorrow, I may lean towards TT...my mind has changed probably 10 times today lol.

PS: If Cassel is named starter after how EJ and TT have played, I might just throw up. Not that Cassel has been bad, but he hasn't done anything like those 2 guys have...

Good post.

Marvelous, record-breaking passing performance from 'the 4 worst QB's in the League'!

..and the winner -and NEEEW starting QB of the Buffalo Bills.. TY-Rod TAAAAAAYLooor!

EJ Manuel has Earned 2nd String -I shall have me a plate of crow..

Matt Simms makes the team as #3

That is all.

Thats why there is nothing but respect due unto you. You keep it real. No agendas. Your line up sounds more thsn acceptable

Sorta would like to see them run Taylor for starter, and bring in EJ for 2 minute offense or when down and obviously have to pass, like the Eagles did back in the day bringing Randall Cunningham in for 3rd down passing and obvious throwing downs but having Ron Jaworski start and run the base offense. Not sure how that would fly in todays Football world, but Rex doesn't seem to care about conforming to conventional practices.

Edited by rstencel

Here are my thoughts.

Earlier this week there was a divide between Taylor & Manuel. It was reported in the press that the team was divided as to who they felt should be the starter, and i feel Ryan & Company's choice was Taylor, and Whaley & Monos wanted Manuel. I also believe that part of the discussion was that Manuel really hadn't gotten a fair shot with ones, and had earned at least that much prior to a final decision.

I believe that is where Ryan did a 180 & made the decision to start Manuel, so that if he didn't live up to expectations he could tell Whaley & Monos "i told you so" and go with Taylor.

That, however, didn't happen. Manuel exceeded what Ryan thought he would do. I know Whaley & Monos had a grin from ear to ear after Saturday's game.

So Manuel was given an opportunity and he took advantage of it. I truly believe this is a two man race, Taylor vs Manuel. I feel that an attempt will be made to trade Cassel for a late round pick to a team that needs a veteran QB. Hence the reason why Ryan is claiming that three QB's will make the team. He doesn't want to make teams believe that Cassel will be released. But in the end if a trade isn't made, I don't see the Bills taking a $4 million cap hit for a 3rd string QB. Your better off keeping Simms on PS and go that route.

So this will lead to a very interesting discussion Sunday between Ryan, his coaches, Whaley, Monos, and Pegula. It's down to Taylor vs. Manuel.

The Bills vested a 1st round pick in Manuel, and even Ryan has fessed up that he was mistreated by the previous regime and his growth was stunted. It seems 3 preseason games away from Marone and Hackett, and Manuel looks to be a changed QB.

That is why I truly feel that Manuel will be given the nod. Although I won't be surprised if they make it Taylor, I think Manuel has earned an opportunity to show what he can do with an OC that knows what the hell he is doing. I believe Manuel will be on a short leash though, and if he looks like the same ol' EJ after the first 3 games they'll insert Taylor. But opening day I see Manuel.

This doesn't mean I see this as a slam dunk. I really like Taylor, and feel he has more to offer than Manuel. Honestly it's a toss up in my mind, and I'll defer to the coaches on this.

I won't be disappointed by seeing either Manuel or Taylor under center. All I know is that if it's Cassel, there will be an uprising outside of One Bills Drive.

And I might fly in to participate.

Edited by dezertbill

I have no idea and none of us do. But I think most of us agree it's either TT or EJ. Please trade or cut Cassel. We have been down that road since JK has retired. Please give us a QB with some upside. Our defense will be good enough to to over come and short coming of our QB's in the early stages of the season. I have seen such growth in EJ and TT and to not allow them to grow would be the wrong decision. Under GR we need a versatile QB who can grow into a Franchise QB - not a "care taker". I for one do not see GR being here for a long time as he may be a head coach next season - so let's not take a step backwards and give the job to MC. I can only hope that REX and DOUG are allowing Anthony Lynnn to absorb everything that GR does and grooming him or some other assistant to take over the OC reigns. It will be interesting to see how quickly the QB decision becomes public.

I have to admit...coming into this QB battle, I had little faith in TT really seizing the job and thought it was going to be between Cassel and EJ. My preference was definitely EJ because Cassel had no upside, but I was fine with who ever won the job.

Taylor on the other hand has really won me over and proved to me has more to offer than originally expected. EJ and TT have really risen to the top and Cassel, like most believe, should be at best 3rd string.

So, its a clear choice between EJ and TT. Here are my thoughts...I admit, I am fine either way, I have a lot of excitement for both. I also recognize that if whoever wins the job starts slow and isn't getting the job done, we have another exciting guy with potential waiting in the wings. So now to my thoughts on the 2:

EJ - Something about this kid makes him elevate when his back is against the wall. I love that about him. He has 3 comeback wins in only 14 starts. All the pressure in the world was on him today and he had NO margin for error, was missing ALL of our starting skill players at WR and RB, and he came out and killed it. This kid rises to the occasion and stays cool and calm. His issue has been starting slow, playing too reserved, and not playing with decisive and quick decision. Roman really seems to have worked on that a lot. Plus this kid does have 14 NFL starts under his belt.

TT - This kid is like a young Vick who doesn't murder animals. He is electric with his feet and he has proven he can beat you with his arm so far. I am very impressed with his play and he's proven my initial doubts of being a real factor in this race wrong. Concerns are about whether or not he will be able to make the progressions through his reads or will he have happy feet and be too eager to run. Today he was great, but I also noticed he had guys wide open and clear throws. Once week 1 comes and he faces the full starting units, full speed, full gamelans, etc those guys wont be so open so often, so I still wonder and worry about his progression through his targets. But hey, can't knock him for rifling perfect throws to wide open players today, but none the less, I don't know how much he's been tested in going through progressions.

Verdict: I am honestly torn. EJ has worked so hard to get to this point, and so has TT. Both have proven they deserved the chance and both have risen to the challenge. EJ's experience of 14 started games is not to be over looked IMO. I almost feel like as close as I have these guys that the 14 starts could be the difference. Then I go back and go through TT the last 2 games and its like damn, how do we not give this kid a chance. I am leaning very slightly to EJ, but honestly, I am fine with either one. Come tomorrow, I may lean towards TT...my mind has changed probably 10 times today lol.

PS: If Cassel is named starter after how EJ and TT have played, I might just throw up. Not that Cassel has been bad, but he hasn't done anything like those 2 guys have...

Another nod of agreement from me. This is pretty much where I am.

Alphadawg7, on 29 Aug 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:snapback.png

Another nod of agreement from me. This is pretty much where I am.

- - - - - - -

And me too. I will be happy with either TT or EJ, I see fun potential with both, If is is Cassel, Rex will lose a bunch of cred. with Bills nation.