QB after Pittsburgh

Starting QB   

323 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start vs. Indy?

I recall one replay guy, was it Tasker?, on what I think it was EJ's last TD... He (EJ) was a little late on the throw.

fast slow or tight on time it was a TD!!!

It might have been late, but that throw had some velocity on it.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i missed the 2nd half, but from what i saw in the first, i think my original opinion of Taylor starting with Manuel as a capable backup is the way to go...

and as i've stated before - it would be fair to the team and Cassel to trade him where he can be the #2 - we'll get a pick and save money. let Simms be our 3rd.

Make sure you catch Manuel's (3rd qtr?) pass to Gragg on the left sideline - it was a thing of beauty - better than the TD throws.

Simms (3 votes)

Awwww, how sweet Simms called his parents to vote for him.

I really don't understand how anyone who has seen the preseason games could vote for anyone but Tyrod taylor. Frankly, the guy has been phenomenal. Tied with EJ? That talk makes me sick.

Your comment makes it sound as if you haven't seen the last two games.

Right. The year he playd QB he was rookie of the year if i recall the documentary correctly. And he never played QB again. True on James Harris. Before my time. He wound up doing well with the Rams from what I've read. Don't know what happened with him in Buff. They weren't very good over those years. Who was the other QB, Shaw or something like that? Maybe the older heads can kick in on that.

I saw them both play. Briscoe was a victim of racism, Harris may have been. I remember that the fans weren't very kind to James Harris and that's putting it mildly. Yes it was Dennis Shaw, he was offensive ROY.

so you are saying that the speed aka zip ala frozen rope makes up for a slow pass? :lol:

No, I don't think he saw him right away, go back and look at it.

I recall one replay guy, was it Tasker?, on what I think it was EJ's last TD... He (EJ) was a little late on the throw.

fast slow or tight on time it was a TD!!!

Good grief really... Stop repeating what reporters say, use your own eyes. That was a thing of beauty and clearly shows that EJ has made major strides. His initial target was Palmer, he looked him down, decided against it, scanned the field, checked back on Palmer to recognize that Palmer was coming open and pow delivered the ball for a TD.

I think the real question is, how much time in the pocket does Manuel need. Then again he's looking improved in that area too looking back at the Browns game.

Edited by bladiebla

It comes down to grooming a starter, EJ has the metrics and starts to look like the NFL QB we've been longing for. As said earlier though we can't neglect TT his score to drive ratio of 77% versus EJs 48%. EJ seems the route to the future the way he is playing currently, that said TT has been more consistent. It took the Dolphins 3 years of starting Tannehill to get their QB; it looks like EJ is getting there too.

I see what you are saying, if you are just using stats and not circumstances. Many of EJs drives were with an inferior OL where TT didn't have to overcome that. The question you have to ask yourself is what would EJs #s look like if he had the 1st team OL for all of his drives.

Good grief really... Stop repeating what reporters say, use your own eyes. That was a thing of beauty and clearly shows that EJ has made major strides. His initial target was Palmer, he looked him down, decided against it, scanned the field, checked back on Palmer to recognize that Palmer was coming open and pow delivered the ball for a TD.

I think the real question is, how much time in the pocket does Manuel need. Then again he's looking improved in that area too looking back at the Browns game.

Good point. Agreed he's looking better in this regard, but Taylor's pocket presence and ability to improvise has been great.

I would put the order as:

Taylor

Manuel

Cassel

Taylor ought to be the week 1 starter. He's shown he can throw from the pocket and that he's much more than just a running QB. He makes good decisions and he's accurate. Ryan's here to win a SB, not to just break the playoff drought, so I see him picking the one that gives the best chance of getting the team there. Roman would be able to do the most with Taylor. Taylor just seems like the best choice.

EJ ought to be right behind him. He's really gotten his career back on track. He's always had the work ethic, so it's really got to be the coaching staff. The week 1 starter doesn't have to be the week 16 starter. With continued growth over the course of the season, I could see EJ vaulting back on top.

^ This basically sums up the way I feel. I don't trust EJ when there is pressure still and his progressions are still slow but he looked way more comfortable than last year. Tyrod is a playmaker and a boom or bust he could get us deep in the playoffs. Regardless next year we need to draft either Connor Cook, Boykin, Hackenberg, Goff or whomever else emerges because its a loaded QB class...unless we win the SB haha

Cassel won't lose you games, but to win it all you need more than that. If he starts, next year's #1 probably is one of those QB's. It may cost a 2017 to move up to get one of them. With a number of contracts issues coming up, it would be huge not to have to draft another QB. You've got to go with the higher upside player.

It was a great pass, but Palmer was wide open one second earlier. You are right EJ looked at him then looked away and then back to him. All of that is good not bad. A year ago EJ checks down. Edited by chris heff

Good point. Agreed he's looking better in this regard, but Taylor's pocket presence and ability to improvise has been great.

I will not dispute that one bit! The worry with TT I have is does he have enough pass to keep defenses honest; and frankly I'm not 100% sold on that.

Funny how different the votes are everywhere; yet it is clear that the fanbase wants either TT or EJ; leaning towards TT as a whole.

Twitter (most hype sensitive media): 70 TT, 13 EJ, 0 Meh (actual votes not percentages)

TBD: 64% TT, 30% EJ, 4% Meh, 1% Simms

BR: 55% TT, 41% EJ, 3% Meh

Funny how different the votes are everywhere; yet it is clear that the fanbase wants either TT or EJ; leaning towards TT as a whole.

Twitter (most hype sensitive media): 70 TT, 13 EJ, 0 Meh (actual votes not percentages)

TBD: 64% TT, 30% EJ, 4% Meh, 1% Simms

BR: 55% TT, 41% EJ, 3% Meh

The TBD numbers aren't who fans want but who they think will start. My vote would have been different otherwise.

I've been impressed with both TT and EJ this preseason.

I want EJ by a small margin. I think TT will win the coaches over - by a small margin - because he's a dual threat guy.

MC has looked like MC has looked in the past. His dink-and-dunk approach won't stretch defenses and help open the run game. I think EJ's long ball will.

EJ 5th rated QB overall (behind Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan), 20/30/66.7%/11.9avg/4TD/358total/146.9 rating.

TT 30th rated QB overall, 24/31/77.4%/7.6avg/0TD/236total/98.3 rating

Meh 49th rated QB overall, 13/15/86.7%/5.5avg/0TD/83total/89.7 rating

TT: played a total of 9 drives of which 4 resulted in a TD, 3 in a fg attempt, 1 failed 4th conversion, and 1 punt for a total of 77% scoring drives.
cassel played 4 drives so far of which 2 resulted in a punt, 2 resulted in a fg attempt for a 50% scoring drive result.
EJ: played 13 drives so far of which 5 resulted in a TD, 1 in a fg attempt, 1 failed 4th conversion and 6 punts for a total of 46% scoring drives.
The drives summary doesn't account for drops by WRs (which EJ has suffered the most off, nor does it account for starting field position).
Personally I chose EJ but would be fine with TT given his drive to result ratio. In the end it comes down to whom the players support and how they are currently practising (is EJ lighting it up in practice right now as well?).

Thanks for the research.

I understand why some folks like TT to start. I don't get why they think TT was significantly, obviously better when EJ has produced much better passing stats.

Consider me a convert to the TT bandwagon. Though I would not get too excited about today. It was preseason for one thing and Pittsburgh's secondary was dreadful. I still think whoever it ends up being will struggle and 9 wins, maybe 10, is the best we'll do.

why do you think that way?

What a difference having Roman and Kromer here .

THIS ! world of difference to be sure.and thats the factor that matters. They might win with any of the four!!

Go Bills.

I picked TT using logic and pick EJM from the heart and some logic. hard to tell when the heart is involved.

Love the Kid.

But Tyrod is hard not to really like too.

best part is either one are exciting and if worse comes to worser we can

play the possession game under Cassel.

Go Bills!

Edited by 3rdand12

No, I don't think he saw him right away, go back and look at it.

sorry I was being sarcastic.

my point was early or late the pass and catch was good enough for the TD.

see above WRT sarcasm

One of the biggest knocks on EJ is that he doesn't throw receivers open. Look at the replay. Tobais is even with the DB at the 5 yd line, then catches the ball after clearing the DB by a yard in the end zone. Threw him open behind the DB. Again, a major league throw. What the hell else do you want in a QB?

Cassel won't lose you games, but to win it all you need more than that. If he starts, next year's #1 probably is one of those QB's. It may cost a 2017 to move up to get one of them. With a number of contracts issues coming up, it would be huge not to have to draft another QB. You've got to go with the higher upside player.

Yes, he will. He has contributed greatly to many losses. Where that idea came from I don't know, but I guess if it gets repeated enough people will just start throwing it around. Matt Cassel is bad. He will throw bad interceptions, checkdown where good QB's throw downfield, throw weak passes over the middle, throw weak armed passes short of the first down marker, throw a Hail Mary out of the endzone, and just generally suck.

Matt Cassel will lose you games.

Edited by HoF Watkins

sorry I was being sarcastic.

my point was early or late the pass and catch was good enough for the TD.

see above WRT sarcasm

I agree, but everything EJ does is over analyzed. He is not allowed any latitude. Like the pass that may or may not have been tipped. There are posters that point to that and say "see, bad EJ, that's why he can't start". I know I'm preaching to the choir with you.