EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

Not questioning your source, but this argument seems pretty weak. Aren't these professional football teams? I am sure they are going to be prepared for any of the 3, regardless. To use this as an excuse to play EJ first seems juvenile and should really put Rex in a bad light as far as I am concerned.

Also, the trade value argument goes directly against Rex's claim they will probably keep all 3.

To be perfectly honest, until I got this this morning, I always kind of dismissed the "messing with Indianapolis" thing myself. I don't think it's so much to make them think it could actually be Manuel so much as not letting them know if it's going to be Cassel or Taylor. The Bills have already been preparing for Indianapolis for weeks. You figure the Colts not knowing if they have to prepare for a guy like Taylor or not could throw a small wrench into their game planning.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, comparing EJ to Richardson is like comparing apples to watermelons. EJ was a 1st round pick at QB, and Richardson was a 5th round pick at OG. Young QB's are going to have bad games, and its from those bad games that they learn, grow, and develop.

EJ was a known project at QB, and was supposed to ride the bench his first season until vet QB Kevin Kolb ended his career by tripping on a rubber mat!! EJ was from a very successful one read system in college, and any coach with a normal brain should understand the kid needs much more learning time then someone from a pro style college offense! Then not having a veteran QB on the roster for 2013 was almost as stupid as not having a QB coach with three young QB's on the roster. One rookie 1st rounder, one rookie undrafted, one player with a whole two games of experience all being led by an OC with no previous coordinator experience at the NFL level. His sole NFL coaching experience was one season as offensive quality control coach.

EJ didn't start looking bad until the coaches changed the game plan for the Chargers & Houston games. EJ was 2-0 last year until his coaches went pass crazy, and then stopped running the ball after those first two games. Last years offense 579 passes vs 402 rushes while having the 26th offense in yards. Most games last year the coaches were forcing the QB to throw around 40 times, and ran the ball around 20 times. Think about that for a min, as most RB's by themselves usually need around 20 carries to get into a decent rhythm. LeSean McCoy usually had some really good games when given the ball 20 plus times.

Speaking of that Fred Jackson was 7 for 33= 4.7 YPC avg against Houston, and yet only saw the ball 7 times. Spiller went 15 for 60 which was still 4.0 YPC avg, and yet the coaches had the inexperienced 2nd year QB throw 44 times that game.

I've read that Leroi stated that EJ was a disaster in that Houston game. EJ was under constant pressure all game, and JJ Watt had a career high nine hits on EJ that game. What the real disaster was in that game was the game plan, and offensive line! Oh BTW that 5th round pick at OG was starting for that game, and was benched for Urbik not long after. At that particular time the Bills were fielding the very worst offensive line in the entire NFL. Five dropped passes by the receivers, and multiple penalties by the O line didn't help in that game. The final score of that game was only 17-23, and the Bills were in that game until the very end.

That Houston game was a game the Bills could have won with a better game plan. The Bills had the better RB's, and defense.

I have no idea what this current coaching staff is thinking in terms of the QB for this season. Starting Matt Cassel might be the safer choice if all you are aiming for is a winning season, and that prospect is somewhat iffy considering Cassel's injury history along with some really bad seasons at KC.Lets not forget that at the end a healthy Cassel was benched in favor of Brady Quinn.

Taylor looks to be an exciting play maker, and should be so until any injury to his wheels forces him to be strictly a pocket passer...then what?

I would think that further trying to develop that #1 pick at QB with only 14 games under his belt should be the primary concern here, and hopefully it is!

A well-reasoned, thoughtful post. It will, of course, only provoke the smug trolls to answer with pithy, snide retorts.

Simms has no chance to be on the 53. Zero. Simms has a chance of hanging on with the practice squad and that's it.

Don't go editing this. But lets see in a couple weeks. My guess is Simms is on PS. With Cassel and TT playing with big boys. Manuel may or may not make team, get traded or something. Who knows maybe they hold all three and when a starter on a top tier team goes down they get a 2nd/3rd for EJ when a team gets desperate.

First, comparing EJ to Richardson is like comparing apples to watermelons. EJ was a 1st round pick at QB, and Richardson was a 5th round pick at OG. Young QB's are going to have bad games, and its from those bad games that they learn, grow, and develop.

EJ was a known project at QB, and was supposed to ride the bench his first season until vet QB Kevin Kolb ended his career by tripping on a rubber mat!! EJ was from a very successful one read system in college, and any coach with a normal brain should understand the kid needs much more learning time then someone from a pro style college offense! Then not having a veteran QB on the roster for 2013 was almost as stupid as not having a QB coach with three young QB's on the roster. One rookie 1st rounder, one rookie undrafted, one player with a whole two games of experience all being led by an OC with no previous coordinator experience at the NFL level. His sole NFL coaching experience was one season as offensive quality control coach.

EJ didn't start looking bad until the coaches changed the game plan for the Chargers & Houston games. EJ was 2-0 last year until his coaches went pass crazy, and then stopped running the ball after those first two games. Last years offense 579 passes vs 402 rushes while having the 26th offense in yards. Most games last year the coaches were forcing the QB to throw around 40 times, and ran the ball around 20 times. Think about that for a min, as most RB's by themselves usually need around 20 carries to get into a decent rhythm. LeSean McCoy usually had some really good games when given the ball 20 plus times.

Speaking of that Fred Jackson was 7 for 33= 4.7 YPC avg against Houston, and yet only saw the ball 7 times. Spiller went 15 for 60 which was still 4.0 YPC avg, and yet the coaches had the inexperienced 2nd year QB throw 44 times that game.

I've read that Leroi stated that EJ was a disaster in that Houston game. EJ was under constant pressure all game, and JJ Watt had a career high nine hits on EJ that game. What the real disaster was in that game was the game plan, and offensive line! Oh BTW that 5th round pick at OG was starting for that game, and was benched for Urbik not long after. At that particular time the Bills were fielding the very worst offensive line in the entire NFL. Five dropped passes by the receivers, and multiple penalties by the O line didn't help in that game. The final score of that game was only 17-23, and the Bills were in that game until the very end.

That Houston game was a game the Bills could have won with a better game plan. The Bills had the better RB's, and defense.

I have no idea what this current coaching staff is thinking in terms of the QB for this season. Starting Matt Cassel might be the safer choice if all you are aiming for is a winning season, and that prospect is somewhat iffy considering Cassel's injury history along with some really bad seasons at KC.Lets not forget that at the end a healthy Cassel was benched in favor of Brady Quinn.

Taylor looks to be an exciting play maker, and should be so until any injury to his wheels forces him to be strictly a pocket passer...then what?

I would think that further trying to develop that #1 pick at QB with only 14 games under his belt should be the primary concern here, and hopefully it is!

This is one of the most informative and well thought out posts I've read on this board!! It detailed the troubles in the Houston game down to a T. Poor coaching and offensive line cost us that game, point blank!!

Don't you destroy it more by swapping a QB in for a play though instead of an entire series? I would think so. Rhythm and momentum are more of something you develop over the course of back to back plays in a series are they not?

And I am suggesting you do it only if Cassel is not doing well. If he had rhythm and momentum on his side already, then no I wouldn't want to interrupt that. Get me?

I am not a fan of swapping qbs in and out at all...including a few plays for wildcat

I would think you would basically pull Cassel and put Taylor in to completely screw up the defense and try to take away momentum from the other team. For example, suppose Cassel is playing a lousy first half, I would be very much inclined to pull him at half time and put in Taylor for the second half just to catch the defense off guard and interrupt a losing situation.

If Tyrod was not so against playing WR in any format I could see him used as a Slash role for Bills. Throwing enough to force defenses to respect the throw when he had the ball and dangerous enough to run with it or catch it but he appears to have rejected this option in the past.

This is one of the most informative and well thought out posts I've read on this board!! It detailed the troubles in the Houston game down to a T. Poor coaching and offensive line cost us that game, point blank!!

I keep hearing the talk of injury to TT like it is a foregone conclusion

Its not...some QBs....just like Wilson have that knack for feeling defenders and know how to avoid taking hits......

TT seems like that kind of guy to me..ALSO.....while short in height the guy is biult like a damn bulldog.....short and stout....kinda like Thurman Thomas in a way

Its not...some QBs....just like Wilson have that knack for feeling defenders and know how to avoid taking hits......

TT seems like that kind of guy to me..ALSO.....while short in height the guy is biult like a damn bulldog.....short and stout....kinda like Thurman Thomas in a way

The way a QB runs with the ball, and the way a RB runs is so different. A QB is always looking to pass which puts him in a terrible position to take a hit. Where a RB is down, low, with his center of gravity poised for the inevitable big hit coming. Plus just the longevity of a average RB's career tels alot as well.

Well said!!! :thumbsup:

My favorite argument was that his arm wouldn't last the season :lol:

I was arguing that defenses will prepare for the Bills' run game primarily and also that none of the Bills' 3 QBs scares any defense. The only one that might requires little prep is Taylor and that would be to say "do not rush hard, keep him in the pocket.

do you truly believe that they will not prepare for the Bills QB? They will not game plan? What?

The way a QB runs with the ball, and the way a RB runs is so different. A QB is always looking to pass which puts him in a terrible position to take a hit. Where a RB is down, low, with his center of gravity poised for the inevitable big hit coming. Plus just the longevity of a average RB's career tels alot as well.

These are just generalities.

My favorite argument was that his arm wouldn't last the season :lol:

That'll be something. We finally make the playoffs, but then Tyrod is put on IR for tennis elbow.

To be perfectly honest, until I got this this morning, I always kind of dismissed the "messing with Indianapolis" thing myself. I don't think it's so much to make them think it could actually be Manuel so much as not letting them know if it's going to be Cassel or Taylor. The Bills have already been preparing for Indianapolis for weeks. You figure the Colts not knowing if they have to prepare for a guy like Taylor or not could throw a small wrench into their game planning.

Go back and watch Rex talk about the first game as a HC and it won't seem that ridiculous. He used all kinds of exotic blitzes and stuff and credits himself for the win. It was a bunch of stuff that no one had tape on.

I am not saying that is the case here but I am not dismissing it either. Rex has done it before.

Go back and watch Rex talk about the first game as a HC and it won't seem that ridiculous. He used all kinds of exotic blitzes and stuff and credits himself for the win. It was a bunch of stuff that no one had tape on.

I am not saying that is the case here but I am not dismissing it either. Rex has done it before.

That is the truth with the whole game plan though ... unless you are planning a radical change to the offensive paradigm(i.e. not having a QB at all), I do not see how any of these three(as to which will play) is really a concern for an opposing defense. I mean that is terms of "messing" with their plans.

These are just generalities.

That'll be something. We finally make the playoffs, but then Tyrod is put on IR for tennis elbow.

Not generalities at all. They are basic principals of each position. QBs are passers, to be successful they need accuracy first, escapability is just an added bonus. Russ Wilsons success is because he will kill you with his arm, forcing defenses to guard the pass first, which allows his elusiveness.

Quartebacks are ALWAYS looking downfield, not 2-3 yards ahead, like a running back does. Its what allows a D to tee off and blow up a QB running. Just the way ive always viewed it. Its why you dont see many successful running QBs, if any. Kordell... Please no