Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

Which game this preseason? This should be good.

4th QTR 3:56 Pass incomplete to Palmer.

Off the top of my head.

There are 31 other franchises and 95 years of professional football to reference yet it somehow all comes back to this when QBs are discussed.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4th QTR 3:56 Pass incomplete to Palmer.

Off the top of my head.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, Palmer should have caught that ball for a TD. Here are plenty of examples from the Cleveland game with accurate throws by EJ that hit his receivers in stride: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Manuel-Cool-Calm-And-Collected-In-Comeback-Win/2b68bcf8-6111-4dd9-a205-f542b782890f

Same thing in the Carolina game with regard to accuracy.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Let's put it this way - if you want to disqualify EJ for the pass to Palmer than you have to disqualify Taylor for the pass in the endzone to Thompson which was underthrown.

Both were balls that should have been caught, if anything the one Palmer dropped was a more accurate throw. You can make arguments for why EJ is not the starting Quarterback and you can point to balls he has thrown poorly in pre-season but in the redzone he has been the most effective and thrown the best, most accurate passes. That is simply a fact.

EJ lost his receivers last year after nearly getting several of them killed. He waits until receivers are open before he makes the throw...he's not the answer.

Plus he had 6 or 7 games as a pro to prove himself and a genius coach to help him. Definitely a hopeless case.

Yeah I didn't really want to open up that can off worms but since it is already open.

IMO

EJ= Rob Johnson (Pedigree, Physicals, Came out of Central Casting for QB)

Tyrod Taylor = Flutie 2.0 (Small, Good College QB, No Respect as an actual NFL QB candidate)

They're even running all those Flutie Bootlegs for Tyrod in the preseason.

Maybe starting Tyrod in our first Playoff Game since Flutie was robbed of the opportunity would atone for this franchise's past sins with football gods.

:devil:

I hope TT = a bunch of people's false memory/fantasy of Flutie instead of the actual Flutie who was a complete disaster in the entire second half of the season he "shouldn't have been benched for the playoffs".

If it's the one I'm thinking of, Palmer should have caught that ball for a TD. Here are plenty of examples from the Cleveland game with accurate throws by EJ that hit his receivers in stride: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Manuel-Cool-Calm-And-Collected-In-Comeback-Win/2b68bcf8-6111-4dd9-a205-f542b782890f

Same thing in the Carolina game with regard to accuracy.

Yeah I watched all the snaps this preseason.

People see what they want to see.

When I saw Tyrod's tight spiral in the Carolina game I thought, When was the last time I saw a release and a ball that looked so good in the air from a Bills QB. Bledsoe? I don't know.

Tyrod has no problem getting the ball to the playmakers.

I still see some erratic behavior from EJ.

Let Tyrod start and win games and let EJ learn behind him.

EJ is the kind of kid you would like your daughter to marry but I have doubts about him being able to get the ball to the Bills Madden style playmakers.

I don't care where any of them were drafted or what their combine numbers were. On the field of play I like what I have seen from Tyrod the most. I'm judging all 3 QBs on what I've seen so far. If it were up to me I would start Tyrod Taylor based on performance up to this point in time.

The good news out of all of this is either QB option doesn't look horrible at this point in time.

So I'm pretty psyched about that.

What I wish is that everyone would make a pact on this board that no matter who starts Week 1 to support them and not call for who ever is the back up after the first incomplete pass.

Lets all go all in with whoever the coaches pick and not call for them to go to the bench.

Plus he had 6 or 7 games as a pro to prove himself and a genius coach to help him. Definitely a hopeless case.

I hope TT = a bunch of people's false memory/fantasy of Flutie instead of the actual Flutie who was a complete disaster in the entire second half of the season he "shouldn't have been benched for the playoffs".

10/22 for 131

Edited by 1B4IDie

While I agree EJ can still develop and shouldn't be written off yet, I think we can win now with a more consistent QB and the defense we have. EJ's knock, and it's a legitimate one, is his consistency. Give him another year on the bench learning and he could be ready next year if either of our other two QBs can't keep the boat afloat.

While I agree EJ can still develop and shouldn't be written off yet, I think we can win now with a more consistent QB and the defense we have. EJ's knock, and it's a legitimate one, is his consistency. Give him another year on the bench learning and he could be ready next year if either of our other two QBs can't keep the boat afloat.

People are kidding themselves if they think TT is going to step in and give them a consistent product. He's going to struggle too. It's what inexperienced QBs do (unless your name is Aaron Rogers.) The only one who will be consistent is Cassel. Consistently mediocre.

People are kidding themselves if they think TT is going to step in and give them a consistent product. He's going to struggle too. It's what inexperienced QBs do (unless your name is Aaron Rogers.) The only one who will be consistent is Cassel. Consistently mediocre.

Agree with OP -start EJ.

Agree TT will be just as inconsistent and I fear he will be crushed with all of his running.

Cassel gives us another 9-7 season.

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Why should EJ Manuel be the starter in Week 1? It’s not because he’s the best QB on the roster, because right now he’s no better (or even as consistent) than the other two guys he’s competing with. It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

I’ve been thinking about the dynamic we’ve been observing throughout this offseason and the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront, both with the fanbase and with the franchise, is that all anybody wants to talk about is making the playoffs this year. We’ve been irrelevant for so long that we’ve reached the point where just making the playoffs one time has become the Buffalo Bills ultimate goal. I think we’re so desperate to be relevant again that we’ve developed an acute case of short-sighted tunnel vision which is making us incapable of seeing the big picture or looking any further down the road than our own hood ornament. Why is this a problem? Because our narrow-minded need for the short-term quick fix of a single playoff appearance may well cost us the opportunity to win a loftier prize in the near future.

For 2 decades the Bills have been desperately wishing for a “franchise” QB to lead this team. For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine; yet despite that embarrassing lack of support we’ve all watched this kid steadily improve since the day he was drafted. And now suddenly we want to stick him at the end of the bench and stop his development dead in its tracks to take a flier on some other guy who might or might not be marginally better at the moment, just because we are so desperate to make the playoffs one time?! Frag that noise. I don’t want to make the playoffs one time, I want to make multiple championship runs over the next 5-7 years; and the Bills are well-positioned to do just that if they can smartly develop a “franchise” QB to go with the ton of talent they have accumulated all over the roster. Matt Cassell is not ever going to be that guy, Tyrod Taylor is not ever going to be that guy. But unlike those two, EJ Manuel has the god-given toolbox and the natural skillset to become exactly that guy. Do we really want to kick the potential franchise QB we’ve been waiting 20 years for to the curb for what may or may not be an incremental short-term improvement because we’ve become so pathetically desperate that our big goal has now been reduced to making the playoffs one time?

I say the hell with being the scared, desperate little ninnies who are so afraid of mistakes that we’re not willing to dare greatly. The hell with playing it safe when there’s a chance for glory sitting right there in front of us if we’re bold enough to risk it. The hell with just making the playoffs this year when being resolute and steadfast might lead to the grand prize down the road. Put Manuel out there in Week 1 and let him make the mistakes that he needs to make before he can learn to eliminate them. Give him the realistic chance to continue the progress he’s clearly been making and to possibly reach the level that can get us over the top. If he stops improving, then we can turn to our Brad Johnson or our Doug Flutie and play for just one year. But don’t start with one of those guys at the expense of developing the kid that might be exactly who and what we’ve been desperately seeking for 20 years.

Nope, disagree.

I don't like the idea of giving the starting job to a guy that didn't earn it. I get it when you have a young guy with a lot of promise who was edged out by the veteran, but giving the young guy the nod because he's the future, but that's not what we have here.

I'm not going to say EJ can't get better, but he's obviously not ready now. Perhaps he could become ready over the course of the season, but I can't see how annointing the 3rd best QB in the hope that he might eventually get it, and in effect sacrificing another season to the EJ project, is going to go over well in the locker room.

Also, it's not like he was narrowly edged out by a good veteran QB. He's been beaten out pretty definitively by Matt Cassel & Tyrod Taylor. Yes, he has some nice traits, but there have been countless QBs that have failed despite great physical attributes.

Plus, even if he's given the whole season, there's no guarantee that he puts it all together. In fact, the odds of him developing into a good QB really aren't all that high even if he does start. Sure, it's possible, but I've not seen or heard anything to suggest he's really starting to get it and is about to make the next step.

I say let the best man play. If EJ's got what it takes he'll benefit from another year holding the clipboard, learning the offense, and practicing, and he should have no trouble winning the QB battle next year. And if he doesn't win it next year then it wasn't meant to be.

When I saw Tyrod's tight spiral in the Carolina game I thought, When was the last time I saw a release and a ball that looked so good in the air from a Bills QB. Bledsoe? I don't know.

EJ is the kind of kid you would like your daughter to marry but I have doubts about him being able to get the ball to the Bills Madden style playmakers.

I don't care where any of them were drafted or what their combine numbers were. On the field of play I like what I have seen from Tyrod the most. I'm judging all 3 QBs on what I've seen so far. If it were up to me I would start Tyrod Taylor based on performance up to this point in time.

The good news out of all of this is either QB option doesn't look horrible at this point in time.

What I wish is that everyone would make a pact on this board that no matter who starts Week 1 to support them and not call for who ever is the back up after the first incomplete pass.

Lets all go all in with whoever the coaches pick and not call for them to go to the bench.

10/22 for 131

I want my daughter to marry someone I can beat up.

10/22 for 131

Why the E added on to di for your screen name?

I can't help but wonder if this is already being discussed in another thread.

Or 312 of them.

What is with people that do this, comment on the 'yet another thread' idea? Who are they to decide? So useless...

What a waste of time.

The OP is doing something different, writing an editorial of sorts, one he did not want to get buried in the myriad other threads that so often lose their focus as they progress and progress and...

And he makes an original point, I think, one I have not seen recently. And like many of the posts that I like and that get a lot of traction, he is putting into words what so many of us have had in the back of our minds but have not fully realized, have not put into words.

I think he is right about EJ, what he could bring that the other two probably cannot. Does this mean if I was the coach I would start him in game one? Well, such a rare thing for a coach today to look at the long term as Simon does here. So, almost assuredly not going to happen.

Let's see how game 3, the most meaningful of pre-season games (Starters playing into the second half) plays out. Saturdays game could provide much more useful info on the QB's. I honestly don't see an obvious front runner, although if I had to put money on it, Taylor would be the starter.