Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

Very wishful thinking, ignoring the hard facts. EJ did play better in last weeks game but that doesn't mean "problem solved." He certainly needs to show some consistency; we've had our RJ. Hopefully, Manual's progressing, as is Taylor, but it's still pretty much a hung jury at this point.

Agreed. Consistency is the issue.

Like many, I like what I've seen from Taylor, but he hasn't been perfect, either. It's a process with him as well and I hope the four years in the league prior to this year have informed him as a player. He can put pressure on a defense with his athletic talent but won't last long if he doesn't master the pocket game. From what little I've seen and from the reports of others, he seems like he's improved in that area from his college days, so I'm optimistic. One concern I had was his propensity to make himself too short while dropping back, but he's playing a lot taller in that regard and that's impressive to me. Word is, he is very intelligent, takes well to coaching, and works his ass off and those are the traits he needs most in order to improve.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one problem with all this Simon

This defense is biult to win RIGHT NOW......not in 5 years. We dont know what we are going to have on D in 5 years

We do know that we have a top 3 D right now.

This is where I am at too, in regards to the original poster's suggestion.

It is too big of a gamble for this year at this point. It simply isn't worth wasting another year on starting him if he hasn't won the coaches over with superior play in practice. In 2 years, this defense will probably be missing enough key players where it won't be as good as it was last year or might be this year. You have to try to win now. It looks like almost all the pieces are in place. You have to try your best shot to win now.

You can still keep EJ and keep developing him. If he outplays the other quarterbacks enough in practice, he will get his wings. Until that point, he rides the pine and keeps himself ready in case of emergency.

This is where I am at too, in regards to the original poster's suggestion.

It is too big of a gamble for this year at this point. It simply isn't worth wasting another year on starting him if he hasn't won the coaches over with superior play in practice. In 2 years, this defense will probably be missing enough key players where it won't be as good as it was last year or might be this year. You have to try to win now. It looks like almost all the pieces are in place. You have to try your best shot to win now.

You can still keep EJ and keep developing him. If he outplays the other quarterbacks enough in practice, he will get his wings. Until that point, he rides the pine and keeps himself ready in case of emergency.

Dave, this is my "white knight" scenario. The way I would want it to play out. For EJ to come off the bench and lead the Bills to the playoffs. What better way to win back the fan base that want to run him out of town. Edited by the skycap

I say the hell with being the scared, desperate little ninnies who are so afraid of mistakes that we’re not willing to dare greatly. The hell with playing it safe when there’s a chance for glory sitting right there in front of us if we’re bold enough to risk it. The hell with just making the playoffs this year when being resolute and steadfast might lead to the grand prize down the road. Put Manuel out there in Week 1 and let him make the mistakes that he needs to make before he can learn to eliminate them. Give him the realistic chance to continue the progress he’s clearly been making and to possibly reach the level that can get us over the top. If he stops improving, then we can turn to our Brad Johnson or our Doug Flutie and play for just one year. But don’t start with one of those guys at the expense of developing the kid that might be exactly who and what we’ve been desperately seeking for 20 years.

It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

He's already HAD the time to prove what he can do, and he makes the SAME BLOODY MISTAKES over and over again with no improvement. He's already stopped improving but yet suddenly we have to waste all of our talent on this one guy who was a project to begin with- NOT a franchise QB as you make him out to be, but a project!

Tyrod Taylor has been behind Super Bowl winning QB Joe Flacco, has already shown more than EJ has, gives us a better chance to win, and above all has just as much athletic ability as EJ has. You discount Tyrod Taylor as a Brad Johnson or a Doug Flutie when EJ has been acting worse than a Brad Johnson or a Doug Flutie and somehow that's OK because we reached for him in the first round.

Man, I cannot wait until EJ gets cut or traded... then maybe this nonsense about him being QB of the future is laid to rest, where it belongs.

Dave, this is my "white knight" scenario. The way I would want it to play out. For EJ to come off the bench and lead the Bills to the playoffs. What better way to win back the fan base that want to run him out of town.

I'm cool with that. It is a real possibility.

I would rather have any quarterback, regardless of who it is, start the season and be great throughout the season so we can stop wondering how well some other quarterback might have been if he had played.

I am a EJ fan and he is the one I was really pulling for, but I am not sure he should start week 1. He doesn't seem like the best right now. And I don't think the team will really support him 100% if he starts without signifcantly beating out the other two.

I think that the bills really need to invest more time into though. Eyeball test says this guy is much better than he was a year ago, and potential is still there. He has the physical talent. Mentally,he is reading the defenses better and seeing the field better. He looks more confident and less timid. He is making better presnap reads. He isn't that far off being the best pocket passer that we have.

He isn't the franchise QB that we need, but he has had good improvement and I think he will continue to get better. I just don't think he is ready to beat out the other 2 guys yet. If I had to put money on it, I woudn't be surprised if by week 8 he develops into the best QB on the roster by a good margin. Not saying she should drop everything and start him, but I bet he will keep getting better fast with this better coaching.

Sounds good in theory OP, but you have to account for the other 52 guys on the roster. Not sure how they'd react to EJ starting if the consensus is he's worse than the other two guys.

If he's good enough, he'll show it eventually.

Sounds good in theory OP, but you have to account for the other 52 guys on the roster. Not sure how they'd react to EJ starting if the consensus is he's worse than the other two guys.

If he's good enough, he'll show it eventually.

I haven't really discerned any consensus from the players about ANY of the QB's, so what makes you think EJM doesn't have significant support (he may not, but I don't know where you have heard that)?

I really doubt the WHOLE team is getting pumped to have Cassel at QB. If I go by the energy I see from players on the field, I think Tyrod is their guy.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Why should EJ Manuel be the starter in Week 1? It’s not because he’s the best QB on the roster, because right now he’s no better (or even as consistent) than the other two guys he’s competing with. It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

I’ve been thinking about the dynamic we’ve been observing throughout this offseason and the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront, both with the fanbase and with the franchise, is that all anybody wants to talk about is making the playoffs this year. We’ve been irrelevant for so long that we’ve reached the point where just making the playoffs one time has become the Buffalo Bills ultimate goal. I think we’re so desperate to be relevant again that we’ve developed an acute case of short-sighted tunnel vision which is making us incapable of seeing the big picture or looking any further down the road than our own hood ornament. Why is this a problem? Because our narrow-minded need for the short-term quick fix of a single playoff appearance may well cost us the opportunity to win a loftier prize in the near future.

For 2 decades the Bills have been desperately wishing for a “franchise” QB to lead this team. For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine; yet despite that embarrassing lack of support we’ve all watched this kid steadily improve since the day he was drafted. And now suddenly we want to stick him at the end of the bench and stop his development dead in its tracks to take a flier on some other guy who might or might not be marginally better at the moment, just because we are so desperate to make the playoffs one time?! Frag that noise. I don’t want to make the playoffs one time, I want to make multiple championship runs over the next 5-7 years; and the Bills are well-positioned to do just that if they can smartly develop a “franchise” QB to go with the ton of talent they have accumulated all over the roster. Matt Cassell is not ever going to be that guy, Tyrod Taylor is not ever going to be that guy. But unlike those two, EJ Manuel has the god-given toolbox and the natural skillset to become exactly that guy. Do we really want to kick the potential franchise QB we’ve been waiting 20 years for to the curb for what may or may not be an incremental short-term improvement because we’ve become so pathetically desperate that our big goal has now been reduced to making the playoffs one time?

I say the hell with being the scared, desperate little ninnies who are so afraid of mistakes that we’re not willing to dare greatly. The hell with playing it safe when there’s a chance for glory sitting right there in front of us if we’re bold enough to risk it. The hell with just making the playoffs this year when being resolute and steadfast might lead to the grand prize down the road. Put Manuel out there in Week 1 and let him make the mistakes that he needs to make before he can learn to eliminate them. Give him the realistic chance to continue the progress he’s clearly been making and to possibly reach the level that can get us over the top. If he stops improving, then we can turn to our Brad Johnson or our Doug Flutie and play for just one year. But don’t start with one of those guys at the expense of developing the kid that might be exactly who and what we’ve been desperately seeking for 20 years.

Can't disagree...It's a very similar line of thinking to mine...Though I don't mind the idea of TT either...At least until Roman feels EJ is ready...

If in fact the Bills feel that EJ just needs a little more seasoning under Roman I'm fine with that...As long as they have a plan...I do think the very idea of writing EJ off for a guy like Cassel is the kind of thing an NFL team should never, ever do...Ever...But maybe that's just me... B-)

Great post and I would completely agree if this was EJ vs Cassel. If both are close you go with the guy with upside. But Tyrod Taylor could be good enough to not only get us to playoffs but win there.

So I am an ABC (Anyone But Cassel) guy that wants to start TT first and if he gets injured Manuel starts next game.

Ryan, Roman, and Whaley know what his chances are in being productive in the offense - now, and with more seasoning. they aren't going to throw away the chance for the same storybook ending we'd all love to see with the kid.. but if they don't see that ever happening - we have to live with it.

none of us know where he's at in this O, and how close or far he is from making the right choices on a consistent basis. he's a competitor, and wants it bad..but none of us know how far that can take him.

we'll have to trust the right decision will be made.. hopefully after it's made public, we'll get more details on how the decision was made.

North Korean political reporters are more inquisitive than the Buffalo Bills beat guys

Just to contextualize, it seems like most people who are not fans of the Buffalo Bills think EJ Manuel is trash. From the analysts who predicted him as a mid round project who was 50/50 at best to be a decent NFL QB, to other fans who watch when their team plays the Bills, there seems to be a pretty big consensus that this guy just doesn't have the skill set of an NFL quarterback. I'd like to believe the hardcore "just let EJ play (indefinitely) and he will break through (eventually)" crew of Bills fans are right. I hope that's the case. Just pointing out that it's a very, very small minority of people who follow the NFL that feel that way.

I see more hope for Geno from people when comparing the two, and that's... not good. But if EJ's the starter... I'll be behind him. He won't be though.

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Why should EJ Manuel be the starter in Week 1? It’s not because he’s the best QB on the roster, because right now he’s no better (or even as consistent) than the other two guys he’s competing with. It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

I’ve been thinking about the dynamic we’ve been observing throughout this offseason and the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront, both with the fanbase and with the franchise, is that all anybody wants to talk about is making the playoffs this year. We’ve been irrelevant for so long that we’ve reached the point where just making the playoffs one time has become the Buffalo Bills ultimate goal. I think we’re so desperate to be relevant again that we’ve developed an acute case of short-sighted tunnel vision which is making us incapable of seeing the big picture or looking any further down the road than our own hood ornament. Why is this a problem? Because our narrow-minded need for the short-term quick fix of a single playoff appearance may well cost us the opportunity to win a loftier prize in the near future.

For 2 decades the Bills have been desperately wishing for a “franchise” QB to lead this team. For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine; yet despite that embarrassing lack of support we’ve all watched this kid steadily improve since the day he was drafted. And now suddenly we want to stick him at the end of the bench and stop his development dead in its tracks to take a flier on some other guy who might or might not be marginally better at the moment, just because we are so desperate to make the playoffs one time?! Frag that noise. I don’t want to make the playoffs one time, I want to make multiple championship runs over the next 5-7 years; and the Bills are well-positioned to do just that if they can smartly develop a “franchise” QB to go with the ton of talent they have accumulated all over the roster. Matt Cassell is not ever going to be that guy, Tyrod Taylor is not ever going to be that guy. But unlike those two, EJ Manuel has the god-given toolbox and the natural skillset to become exactly that guy. Do we really want to kick the potential franchise QB we’ve been waiting 20 years for to the curb for what may or may not be an incremental short-term improvement because we’ve become so pathetically desperate that our big goal has now been reduced to making the playoffs one time?

vote-hell-no.jpg

Just to contextualize, it seems like most people who are not fans of the Buffalo Bills think EJ Manuel is trash. From the analysts who predicted him as a mid round project who was 50/50 at best to be a decent NFL QB, to other fans who watch when their team plays the Bills, there seems to be a pretty big consensus that this guy just doesn't have the skill set of an NFL quarterback. I'd like to believe the hardcore "just let EJ play (indefinitely) and he will break through (eventually)" crew of Bills fans are right. I hope that's the case. Just pointing out that it's a very, very small minority of people who follow the NFL that feel that way.

I see more hope for Geno from people when comparing the two, and that's... not good. But if EJ's the starter... I'll be behind him. He won't be though.

This idea that EJ should have been a mid-round pick is just revisionist history. He was the first QB drafted. At the time, there were other teams that had EJ as the number one QB on their board as well. Mike Mayock before the draft said he would take EJ Manuel because he had the highest upside. Was he drafted higher than he should have been in retrospect? That's an easy answer. But please stop reposting this fake idea that EJ was a third round or 4th round pick that the anti-EJ people just keep repeating. There is no basis to it.

The Bills had good scouts at the time and they had on their NFL draft board EJ Manuel as the top quarterback. Unless you have 5 teams draft board that had EJ as a 4th rounder then this "fact" should stop.

This isn't an endorsement of EJ starting it more a concern about TT. I feel that there is the "shiny new toy" syndrome. He is the great choice mainly because he hasn't had an opportunity to fail like the other two.

TT may be the best option I am just wondering if there is a less critical eye because of the lack of actual playing time. If/When he stumbles will the fans turn on him or let him play through any issues that may arise. EJ didnt get a long rope so ...

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

This idea that EJ should have been a mid-round pick is just revisionist history. He was the first QB drafted. At the time, there were other teams that had EJ as the number one QB on their board as well. Mike Mayock before the draft said he would take EJ Manuel because he had the highest upside. Was he drafted higher than he should have been in retrospect? That's an easy answer. But please stop reposting this fake idea that EJ was a third round or 4th round pick that the anti-EJ people just keep repeating. There is no basis to it.

The Bills had good scouts at the time and they had on their NFL draft board EJ Manuel as the top quarterback. Unless you have 5 teams draft board that had EJ as a 4th rounder then this "fact" should stop.

Thank you Jeff!! Russell Wilson was a projected 3-4 rder himself. How many teams wish they woulda drafted him earlier? Nuff said.

I don't have a huge problem with Simon's post, but I guess my one question is why he is so certain that Tyrod Taylor "will never be that guy." Taylor simply wasn't going to unseat Flacco in Baltimore, so he really hasn't had a chance. I don't know what body of work in the NFL we can look to, to make the determination that he absolutely couldn't be the Bills' QB for the next 5-6 years.

I'd love it if the Bills went with a Taylor-backed-up-by-EJ lineup to start the season.