Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was supposed to be a 20 yard out.

You can't google it because he can't throw it.

I did find this though.

One of Manuel’s biggest knocks is his inconsistency when throwing the deep ball. Over his 14-game career, he’s completed just 16-of-59 passes that traveled 20+ yards downfield (27%) for 515 yards, a paltry 8.7 yards-per-attempt average and threw six touchdowns to three interceptions.One of Manuel’s biggest knocks is his inconsistency when throwing the deep ball. Over his 14-game career, he’s completed just 16-of-59 passes that traveled 20+ yards downfield (27%) for 515 yards, a paltry 8.7 yards-per-attempt average and threw six touchdowns to three interceptions.

http://billsmafia.com/2015/04/09/an-all-22-breakdown-of-buffalo-bills-qb-ej-manuel-does-he-have-what-it-takes/

One thing that is for sure, there are some people on this board that certainly have an imagination when it comes to EJ Manuel.

More than other Bills Backers boards on the internet.

Just really creative past remembrances of a plays and abilities that don't seem to be connected in realty.

I did find this though.

http://billsmafia.com/2015/04/09/an-all-22-breakdown-of-buffalo-bills-qb-ej-manuel-does-he-have-what-it-takes/

One thing that is for sure, there are some people on this board that certainly have an imagination when it comes to EJ Manuel.

More than other Bills Backers boards on the internet.

Just really creative past remembrances of a plays and abilities that don't seem to be connected in realty.

What a cute little exchange between you two. Awwww. :lol:

You're saying this in response - and it appears agreeing with - the statement that EJ can't throw a 20 yard out?!

:lol:

Just because nobody is going to go look through game footage doesn't mean he can't throw it. You guys have to be the only ones trying to argue that EJ doesn't have a live arm. There are many things to pick on with EJ's game, his arm strength isn't one. Hell, even his scouting reports coming out of college mention his strong arm.

You make yourselves, and your arguments, look foolish when you can't even have a level headed discussion.

Simon has penchant for starting threads that have already been covered ad nauseam just like with Lee Evans back in the day.

I can't help but wonder if this is already being discussed in another thread.

Or 312 of them.

If you would have started it, likely would have been shut down by a mod. There are like 3 zillion EJ threads.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

You're posting won-loss records, I'm talking about consistent play from the QB position. Is anybody going to say Dalton, Romo, Flacco and Kaep have been consistent? Those guys are the poster children of inconsistency for young QBs. It doesn't mean you can't win with them as they learn, it just means you have to be patient and accept their lows and hope it gets better (which for Flacco and Romo it did.)

I'd even go so far as to say Luck was pretty inconsistent his first two years. Granted, he turns it on at the right times and when he's good, he's amazing, but he also forces the ball and makes some head scratching decisions - which is to be expected from a young QB, even one as talented as Luck.

I thought you were suggesting TT couldn't lead the Bills to a successful season and I was listing examples of guys that have, esp Wilson and Kaep. Maybe you don't disagree 10-6 or 11-5 is possible despite some ups and downs?

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but QB records are even more meaningless than MLB won-loss records for pitchers. The reason why Dalton's record was what it was in his first two seasons was because the Bengals had a top tier defense in almost every major category.

Ummm isn't this exactly my point? TT might have ups and downs but we have that defense to get us to 10-6 or 11-5.

I'm not hating on EJ I just don't agree TT is some green QB that will take a season to adjust.

Edited by disco

You didn't watch then. Carry on sport.

I did.

Care to tell me the minute and second marker of a 20 yard out pass.

I mean if it is in there. It should be pretty easy to point to it.

You're saying this in response - and it appears agreeing with - the statement that EJ can't throw a 20 yard out?!

:lol:

Just because nobody is going to go look through game footage doesn't mean he can't throw it. You guys have to be the only ones trying to argue that EJ doesn't have a live arm. There are many things to pick on with EJ's game, his arm strength isn't one. Hell, even his scouting reports coming out of college mention his strong arm.

You make yourselves, and your arguments, look foolish when you can't even have a level headed discussion.

This is the reality of teh situation; TT has been on the Bills for less than 8 month. We have video of TT making a difficult NFL QB throw in a pre season game.

EJ has been on the team for 2 years and 4 months, has started 14 NFL games plus pre season games and we cannot easily find video of a difficult NFL QB pass like a 20 yard out route.

We can find passes where EJ throws it to receivers in the middle of the field that are open.

It isn't that EJ can't physically throw a football. It is that EJ doesn't execute well on actually throwing the football especially passes over 20 yards so far in his career. The passes tend to be either late, or behind, or lead the receivers into big hits. He tends to be gun shy on throwing a pass unless the player is wide open this may be a product of horrible coaching but it is reality.

When people are confronted with a truth that they refuse to accept then they try to change the conversation. EJ does not throw the ball often more than 4 yards past or behind the line of scrimmage so far in his career. I have never seen him throw a 20 yard out in a game like the pass that TT threw in the Browns game.

I don't hate EJ. I just understand reality.

The reality and the legend of EJ seem to be disconnected for some.

Edited by 1B4IDie

I did.

This is the reality of teh situation; TT has been on the Bills for less than 8 month. We have video of TT making a difficult NFL QB throw in a pre season game.

EJ has been on the team for 2 years and 4 months, has started 14 NFL games plus pre season games and we cannot easily find video of a difficult NFL QB pass like a 20 yard out route.

We can find passes where EJ throws it to receivers in the middle of the field that are open.

It isn't that EJ can't physically throw a football. It is that EJ doesn't execute well on actually throwing the football especially passes over 20 yards so far in his career. The passes tend to be either late, or behind, or lead the receivers into big hits. He tends to be gun shy on throwing a pass unless the player is wide open this may be a product of horrible coaching but it is reality.

When people are confronted with a truth that they refuse to accept then they try to change the conversation. EJ does not throw the ball often more than 4 yards past or behind the line of scrimmage so far in his career. I have never seen him throw a 20 yard out in a game like the pass that TT threw in the Browns game.

Stating your opinion is one thing, stating your opinion as fact is a completely different animal

I did.

EJ's problem isn't his YPA. It's unforced errors and his inability to play when the pocket is not clean. Your "reality" is not in agreement with the games I have watched.

Stating your opinion is one thing, stating your opinion as fact is a completely different animal

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

EJ's problem isn't his YPA. It's unforced errors and his inability to play when the pocket is not clean. Your "reality" is not in agreement with the games I have watched.

Except my "reality" is fact based, in actual reality; Not based on one's recollection of events.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/461919/ej-manuel/#Pass%20Yards%20per%20Attempt$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

6.4 yards per attempt in his 4 starts in 2014 would make him the #32 QB in 2014.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-passing-yards-per-attempt-statistics/2014/

Edited by 1B4IDie

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

Except my "reality" is fact based, in actual reality; Not based on one's recollection of events.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/461919/ej-manuel/#Pass%20Yards%20per%20Attempt$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

6.4 yards per attempt in his 4 starts in 2014 would make him the #32 QB in 2014.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-passing-yards-per-attempt-statistics/2014/

4 games is way too small of a sample size. Especially considering the offensive line he was playing behind. Rex has seen what I have seen this year. When EJ gets time to throw he has been impressive.

Marrone is gone. Let's deal with this year's team.

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

You're livin' in the past man, its a new dawn!

Lets go Buffalo!

You're livin' in the past man, its a new dawn!

Lets go Buffalo!

The anti-EJ people have some sort of loop in their head of the Houston game from last year where Cyril Richardson and Erik Pears were playing guard. I have watched enough football that I eliminate games like that from my evaluation. All you can draw from that is EJ sucks with less than 2 seconds to throw.

When is the last time the Cowboys drafted a good Quarterback? Troy Aikman, 26 years ago?

Does this change the fact they had a 4th round grade on him?

No, that was not the issue I raised. Anti-EJ people have been saying , "EJ was really a third or 4th round pick." They were not saying opinions may vary. If that was the case, sure. You can say that about a lot of players. They were making a much stronger case than what you are describing which requires much stronger evidence that they never have provided.

The most important team for me is the Bills. They believed that EJ was the best QB on their board AND that he would not be available much later. If you are saying the Bills don't have enough sense to know how to get value in the draft and drafted him 3 rounds before anyone else would, go ahead. Make that case.

What I'm saying is that there is at least 1 team that considered EJ a mid round prospect. Just like there was at least 1 team that considered him a 1st round prospect. He clearly wasn't universally viewed as a day or early day 2 guy.

Does this change the fact they had a 4th round grade on him?

What I'm saying is that there is at least 1 team that considered EJ a mid round prospect. Just like there was at least 1 team that considered him a 1st round prospect. He clearly wasn't universally viewed as a day or early day 2 guy.

And no one cares about that. The anti-EJ people NEVER qualified that. They flat out said EJ WAS a mid-round pick. When he was drafted in the 1st round. I'll concede the Bills overdrafted him but not by 3 rounds. From what I recall, the GM's and scouts thought he would go end of the 1st.

And no one cares about that. The anti-EJ people NEVER qualified that. They flat out said EJ WAS a mid-round pick. When he was drafted in the 1st round. I'll concede the Bills overdrafted him but not by 3 rounds. From what I recall, the GM's and scouts thought he would go end of the 1st.

Correct. At this juncture, where he was actually drafted vs. his draft grade means exactly squat in 2015.