Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point regarding playing for the larger prize but it hinges on EJ's ceiling. Several posters, some astute, think that EJ will never improve his accuracy. Do you think otherwise ?

Based on what I've seen so far in pre-season (which is, admittedly, a small sample set) it appears his accuracy has greatly improved. I see him consistently hitting throws that he missed consistently in years past.

The whole bit about "you can't improve accuracy" is a load of bunk. Once a QB gets comfortable with NFL defenses, with the offense he's running and gets his mechanics worked out (via loads of work in the offseason) accuracy improves. Almost every QB I've ever seen has a completion percentage that steadily increases in their first 4-5 years.

Ok fair play. Much appreciated. Is he a founder member?

I think he is. But besides that he is knowledgeable about football and has some inside knowledge about the organization.

Unfortunately, he is also a closet Stillers fan. :D

And if you didn't realize it yet, if I continue to ball**** him like this, I avoid warning points for a year.

The whole bit about "you can't improve accuracy" is a load of bunk. Once a QB gets comfortable with NFL defenses, with the offense he's running and gets his mechanics worked out (via loads of work in the offseason) accuracy improves. Almost every QB I've ever seen has a completion percentage that steadily increases in their first 4-5 years.

I agree. It is one of those clichés that is often repeated and never accurate.

Based on what I've seen so far in pre-season (which is, admittedly, a small sample set) it appears his accuracy has greatly improved. I see him consistently hitting throws that he missed consistently in years past.

I have seen clips from TC and also saw the entire Browns game which indicates what you write. But have been burnt enough times over the past decade and hence am holding back on the hope and excitement

Welcome back Sy.

Thanks man, although considering my choice of topic that sentiment is not likely widespread. :blush:

- These days the window of opportunity is pretty narrow. This roster is stacked from top to bottom with talent save for the question mark at QB. I would hate to lose this opportunity before some major contracts come due

I don't see it that way at all, which is one of the reasons I'm willing to take some short-term lumps watching Manuel develop. I think we have a young, sharp, proactive GM who wants nothing more on this Earth than to build a winning franchise. We also have a hungry new owner who is willing to do whatever it takes to win. That is a beautiful combination and when you factor in how loaded this roster already is, I believe it sets up the Bills for sustained, long-term success.

I see your point regarding playing for the larger prize but it hinges on EJ's ceiling. Several posters, some astute, think that EJ will never improve his accuracy. Do you think otherwise ?

Typically I'd be doubtful, but considering that we've already seen it happening there's no reason he can't continue on that trajectory

I don't see it that way at all, which is one of the reasons I'm willing to take some short-term lumps watching Manuel develop. I think we have a young, sharp, proactive GM who wants nothing more on this Earth than to build a winning franchise. We also have a hungry new owner who is willing to do whatever it takes to win. That is a beautiful combination and when you factor in how loaded this roster already is, I believe it sets up the Bills for sustained, long-term success.

Typically I'd be doubtful, but considering that we've already seen it happening there's no reason he can't continue on that trajectory

Then by your reasoning, Ryan & Roman are not invested in the success of the team because they have EJ third on the depth chart.

As long as we are talking QBs...

Not that he is a brilliant football mind, but Matthew Coller on WGR 550 yesterday made an interesting comment having watched pretty much all of training camp.

He said that Cassel basically can't complete a throw that is more than 5 to 10 yards down field.

It kind of made me laugh, but I suspect that is more or less correct.

Then you have Sal C.'s comment that anyone who has watched every snap of training camp would conclude EJ is not the guy either.

That leaves Tyrod.

I think he'll be named Week 1 starter in the end.

Then by your reasoning, Ryan & Roman are not invested in the success of the team because they have EJ third on the depth chart.

Yeah, I don't think Ryan and Roman are invested in the success of the team. :wacko:

You do realize that people who have the same goal may have differing opinions on how to reach it. I'd say MDH summed it up nicely in his earlier response.

Unless of course you're just arguing for the sake of being difficult and trying to pile it on with Gugny. Should I expect Tom to show up shortly and ask why I hate Doug Whaley?

EJ lost his receivers last year after nearly getting several of them killed. He waits until receivers are open before he makes the throw...he's not the answer.

Yes he does do that. Did it at FSU too.

Throwing the ball before a receiver is open, in anticipation of him coming open, or being able to place it even when he is not really open but can still catch the ball is what makes the good ones good.

EJ doesn't have that ability.

Not saying the other 3 on the staff do either, BTW.

Yeah, I don't think Ryan and Roman are invested in the success of the team. :wacko:

You do realize that people who have the same goal may have differing opinions on how to reach it. I'd say MDH summed it up nicely in his earlier response.

Unless of course you're just arguing for the sake of being difficult and trying to pile it on with Gugny. Should I expect Tom to show up shortly and ask why I hate Doug Whaley?

Pointing out that the creation of this thread was unnecessary is piling it on? Common man.

EJ lost his receivers last year after nearly getting several of them killed. He waits until receivers are open before he makes the throw...he's not the answer.

Which everyone knows can NEVER be fixed or improved upon. :rolleyes:

Yes he does do that. Did it at FSU too.

Throwing the ball before a receiver is open, in anticipation of him coming open, or being able to place it even when he is not really open but can still catch the ball is what makes the good ones good.

EJ doesn't have that ability.

Not saying the other 3 on the staff do either, BTW.

Guess what guys....It's 2015. You should watch what's happening .....NOW!

Unless of course you're just arguing for the sake of being difficult and trying to pile it on with Gugny.

But you left them out in your premise. And they're the ones who are making the final decision on the starter. So while EJ may still have a higher ceiling than the other two, he hasn't yet hit a floor where the coaches are willing to trust the team to him. With a roster as stacked as the Bills, I think it would be foolish to roll the dice this year. If that were the case, Pegula wouldn't be opening up the check book to sign the Red Bryants of the world as injury insurance.