Deonte Thompson or Chris Hogan?

pbanach

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like DT and he seems to have chemistry with TT which will be important if he starts. They probably developed that from their days with the Ravens 2nd team offense.

I don't dislike Hogan. I don't really want to cut him. But I think I'd rather have Thompson.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Hogan hands down - reminiscent of Welker in his prime. Hogan has potential to be a stout slot option who can create his own space and has great hands. Regular season producer > Thompson.

Also, with how the injury bug has been travelling around, wouldn't be surprised if we kept 7. More likely 6 though.

Edited by ctk232

Davis :ph34r:

I agree. I think he's the sleeper here. I think we pretty much know what Hogan and Thompson are. I don't dislike Hogan at all but I agree with those who say other guys could actually play the slot better. If Hogan were cut he would be picked up by another team in short order. Thompson has great straightline and even football speed but his hands are definitely suspect. A better comparison by receiver type is Goodwin and Thompson. They are equally fast, neither has great hands, Thompson is bigger and Goodwin is little & brittle.

Hogan hands down - reminiscent of Welker in his prime. Hogan has potential to be a stout slot option who can create his own space and has great hands. Regular season producer > Thompson.

Also, with how the injury bug has been travelling around, wouldn't be surprised if we kept 7. More likely 6 though.

There it is again. In Welker's 2 best years he combined for 245 catches and roughly 3,000 yards. In Hogan's career he has 51 for 509 yards. He is VERY reminiscent of Welker in his prime. :wallbash::wallbash:

I know that this will shock some, but I think that it is Hogan for me.

p.s. Every time that someone compares Hogan to Welker they should get their posting privileges revoked. They are NOTHING alike.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

There it is again. In Welker's 2 best years he combined for 245 catches. In Hogan's career he has 51. He is VERY reminiscent of Welker in his prime. :wallbash::wallbash:

Hogan reminds me more of a poor-man's Ed McCaffrey than anything else...though McCaffrey was far more productive (maybe that had to do with having Elway at QB though).

And in actuality, your opinion doesn't surprise me at all--I just don't see what Thompson brings to the table that Hogan doesn't, though I do see things that Hogan brings that Thompson doesn't.

Hogan reminds me more of a poor-man's Ed McCaffrey than anything else...though McCaffrey was far more productive (maybe that had to do with having Elway at QB though).

And in actuality, your opinion doesn't surprise me at all--I just don't see what Thompson brings to the table that Hogan doesn't, though I do see things that Hogan brings that Thompson doesn't.

I can trust Hogan in the event of an injury to play half the snaps in a game and not kill the team. If they are going to keep Goodwin which it sure looks like Hogan is a nice compliment at the bottom of the depth chart. I have seen flashes from Thompson but don't know if he can be trusted to do that. As a big play threat he is already behind Watkins, Harvin and Goodwin.

I can see this. But I can't see him blowing up like Mccaffrey did eventually. What a nice player. Him and Rod Smith were great

I can trust Hogan in the event of an injury to play half the snaps in a game and not kill the team. If they are going to keep Goodwin which it sure looks like Hogan is a nice compliment at the bottom of the depth chart. I have seen flashes from Thompson but don't know if he can be trusted to do that. As a big play threat he is already behind Watkins, Harvin and Goodwin.

Agreed--I'd still count Woods as a big-play threat too. I know he's the "slow" guy of the group, since he only runs a 4.51, but he's definitely shown that he can get open deep.

Agreed--I'd still count Woods as a big-play threat too. I know he's the "slow" guy of the group, since he only runs a 4.51, but he's definitely shown that he can get open deep.

the smart football people always tell me that the two most important things in an NFL WR are 1) route running, 2) hands. Size and speed are nice to have but without the other 2 the player won't succeed. Imo Woods was ahead of some rookies in his route running when he came in because he came from a pro style offense. He has demonstrated great ball skills and hands. As many have said, he is the perfect #2 WR. Sammy's top end speed and elite explosiveness, along with the other 2 (he had to develop the route running when he got here and did) elevate him to #1. Edited by YoloinOhio

There it is again. In Welker's 2 best years he combined for 245 catches and roughly 3,000 yards. In Hogan's career he has 51 for 509 yards. He is VERY reminiscent of Welker in his prime. :wallbash::wallbash:

p.s. Every time that someone compares Hogan to Welker they should get their posting privileges revoked. They are NOTHING alike.

not just welker, but welker IN HIS PRIME!

this is one of those spots that i dont mind if they go either way. pick the guy thats healthy, has the chemistry with the qb they choose, and call it a day. id guess hogan, and be fine with it.

Davis to PS, Hogan and Thompson to other teams. Easley to 5th WR.

Davis might be swiped off the PS as soon as he is put there.

I lean toward Hogan here. He has produced. (I keep underestimating how athletic he actually is, as well as his size.) But his drops concern me.

I agree. I think he's the sleeper here. I think we pretty much know what Hogan and Thompson are. I don't dislike Hogan at all but I agree with those who say other guys could actually play the slot better. If Hogan were cut he would be picked up by another team in short order. Thompson has great straightline and even football speed but his hands are definitely suspect. A better comparison by receiver type is Goodwin and Thompson. They are equally fast, neither has great hands, Thompson is bigger and Goodwin is little & brittle.

Yep, might be Goodwin who is the odd man out. Incredible how stacked this WR group is.

Yep, might be Goodwin who is the odd man out. Incredible how stacked this WR group is.

According to the media, he's a favorite of the WRs coach. He's actually stayed healthy too, which is always the knock on him. I don't see him going anywhere.

:lol: as soon as I saw that comment I was just waiting for the response...

Well, they both use SPF 30+???

:huh::blink:

Beat me to it... :beer:

Goodwin is a lock unless he gets hurt these final two weeks. He's not getting cut.

Between DT and Hogan I'm not sure. I haven't seen enough of DT and I like Hogan's versatility. If I had to chose today it might be Hogan, but ask me after the game Saturday night.

They're both underdog white WRs.

not true. I heard Welker bought some Molly in front of a 7-11 once.

Hogan. Hogan. Hogan.

For me Thompson and Goodwin offer me the same and it is one or the other. I might be the biggest Hogan fan on this forum though and the guy who believes his ceiling is higher than others think it is. Hogan is versatile and has proven NFL production. I wouldn't cut him, no way. I also think if Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley were sitting down today and had to get to 53 Hogan makes it. His problem is he has two weeks of potentially watching Thompson and/or Davis make plays. For me Hogan vs Davis in what they offer is a better comparison. Thompson and Goodwin are speedsters and to keep them both would restrict our flexibility in my opinion.

find a clip in a regular season game where Goodwin drops a ball...there are none. Goodwin is faster too....yes brittle...but better Edited by enlightener

:huh::blink:

Beat me to it... :beer:

Goodwin is a lock unless he gets hurt these final two weeks. He's not getting cut.

Between DT and Hogan I'm not sure. I haven't seen enough of DT and I like Hogan's versatility. If I had to chose today it might be Hogan, but ask me after the game Saturday night.

I don't see Goodwin as a lock at all. He is most certainly on the bubble, and constantly hurt or injured it seems.

Dump tin can Harvin and the problem is solved. He is hurt already. All being named in this conversation are better than Harvin.

no, they aren't better than Harvin in any universe! Less injury prone, maybe. But so am I and it doesn't make me faster or more explosive.