Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations About Tonight’s Game

Maybe it's because there's a threat to run and the defense has to stay home, but the time the oline gave t-mobile (side note: really, that's something people are calling him?) was impressive. Imagine a running game as a threat too

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor is a one-trick pony. EJ is a real NFL QB that can both pass from the pocket and run. Even if someone isn't sold on EJ, they should realize Taylor is not the answer.

What team are you watching? Seriously. This has to be a poor attempt at humor. Taylor is neither a One trick Pony and Manuel has never had 'it' and never will.

8) Pay Marcell Dareus. The big man is a rare talent who can both stymie the run game and get after the passer with great tenacity. Recent reports are that contract talks between Dareus’ agent and the Bills have reached a stalemate.

There is still a lot of time to get a deal done, but a multi-faceted 25 year-old DT just entering his prime is the guy you want to shower with Pegula bucks.

4) Bye-Bye, EJ.

Yeah, Manuel looked good on the winning possession while driving the team to a TD and 2-point conversion. But was it too little too late? Prior to that drive EJ had a horrible night that looked like a guy begging for a ticket out of town.

Sure EJ was in with 2nd and 3rd stringers and, at times, was being blitz-protected by a running back that was signed only yesterday. Still, he continually exhibited a trait that he has shown throughout his career - he doesn’t properly set his feet before throwing the ball. At this point, it is evident that he is incapable of correcting that fatal flaw.

I don’t know where Manuel will be on opening weekend, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be in the house that Ralph built.

good points until you posted that about EJ.

:bag:

He only connects on short passes and dump offs. There was a huge difference between 1st team oline for TT and the swiss cheese 3rd teamers EJ played behind, many of whom wont even be in the NFL in a few weeks. And browns were missing most of their starters in secondary. So advantage TT here.....please no more excuses how EJ had it easier.

I don't think some of those, like the Thompson throw and the one to Goodwin on 3rd when the Browns faked the blitz are what I would call "short"

And if EJ had a worse O-line, he had the same WRs against a worse secondary. I'm not trying to rag on EJ, who I like, I'm just annoyed at the fact that you twist the narrative on TT.

I don't think some of those, like the Thompson throw and the one to Goodwin on 3rd when the Browns faked the blitz are what I would call "short"

And if EJ had a worse O-line, he had the same WRs against a worse secondary. I'm not trying to rag on EJ, who I like, I'm just annoyed at the fact that you twist the narrative on TT.

Fair enough "short and some intermediate". I haven't seen him hit any long balls, which ill define as >30 yards, nor any TD passes. The " worse secondary" is twisting the narrative as most of the browns starters sat out. Edited by JTSP

I thought Tyrod made some great throws, including the one he put on the money in the end zone that any of the top 3 WRs would have caught, which clanged off the receivers hands(can't remember his name).

Also thought EJ's ball placement was very good other than maybe 2 throws...

- Really wish Dareus would have kept his mouth shut about his contract. Just play football and let the process play out. To me is another sign of still some immaturity there

- I think Andre Davis is the one who emerges in the FA WR race. He looks like a baller. Thompson seems to be in position to make plays a lot but a lot of times doesn't make the great play to make the catch even if there is contact etc.

Good to see Goodwin get back in the game, but at this point I don't know how you can think that he won't miss many games because of injury. What good is keeping a player that never can play

- Wish Carpenter would handle kickoffs, but doubt they will force that extra work on his leg with him just coming back. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to free up a roster spot and send Gay on his way

- I also had that sinking memory of Pettine's D giving up big plays and not getting off the field on 3rd downs. Hopefully things will all come together by week 1

- I think they keep 3 QBs. Think EJ looked the best I have ever seen him. If he could just get rid of those clunker throws every once in a while and be consistent

This game I felt that TT might be the type to really get better over time with more game experience in going through his reads and not just taking off. There were reports that he was missing open receivers. I think he still needs to improve quite a bit from where he is as a pocket passer seeing the whole play develop before taking off. if things stay the way they are, I see the same issues as with other running QBs - receivers getting frustrated, teams putting spies and shutting down the scrambling, negative plays outweighing the occasional scramble for a 1st down etc. Would still probably rather see him out there than Cassel - who doesn't excite me at all. Just have the nagging feeling that receivers are going to get very frustrated with him if he can't change his game

good points until you posted that about EJ.

:bag:

I had the EJ point written before the final drive. After he lead them to the TD and 2 pt conversion I decided to keep it, but amended it to acknowledge his achievement. I simply believe that the bad footwork trumps everything in EJ's case. Not being able to correct that will prevent him from truly getting into this race.

If I'm wrong and he makes the roster and at some point becomes a starter again I will be happy for him. I think he's a hard-working guy and a good human being. I just think that there are two QBs on this roster better than him and with a lot of banged up RBs and WRs the Bills will choose to use that 53rd roster spot at another position.

Taylor played pretty well, but he didn't close the deal and get in the end zone..........After the Carolina preseason game, I thought EJ was gone for sure. But, after his showing last night, I now think he might stay. He threw pretty well last night, better than I have seen him before. And, he hung in there at the end...no hang dog giving up. Still, there were a couple of times where he showed a lack of awareness of the situation...he should be better on the head stuff by now, his third year, and Gruden called him out on it on the broadcast. (watched the ESPN crew last night) Overall all....I think they keep three QB's, and Jordan Gay will be gone. AS for the starter, a quick hook if they don't win is my prediction, and try the other guy. Roman was in SF when they sat A Smith (injury) and handed the keys to Kapernick...and this is a similar call. The game manager QB is Cassell, and he is OK at that with this team. TT is the Kap like guy, and has arguments in his favor, just not an arm quite as good as Cassell and experience lacking. (although being a 5 year vet, he has been around the league) EJ won't start...and will likely be inactive until one of the QB's gets dinged. I like Ryan's no tell on the QB starter...forces the Colts to prepare for two different QB's with quite different styles......I also think the concept of a relief pitcher, I mean QB is used to little in football......and would like to see the two relatively equal first guys relieve each other. Yes, QB's have bad days (see J Kelly)

Our QB situation isn't desperate, imho, just complicated. And, one of the unspoken complications here, is that both TT and Cassell are here on one year contracts. EJ is the only QB on the roster who is under contract for 2016.

Taylor played pretty well, but he didn't close the deal and get in the end zone..........

EJ is the only QB on the roster who is under contract for 2016.

You mean, except for the two touchdown drives last week, when he actually had a running back and not a shambling corpse?

And oh, he's on the roster through 2017, and dirt cheap: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor/

10) Not since the “Counterfeit Bills” that took the field for 3 ugly games during the 1987 NFL player’s strike have so many soon-to-be McDonald’s fry cooks taken the field for the red, white and blue in a sanctioned league game.

Who would have thought that all 5 of the top running backs and the 3 best receivers would all be on the shelf by the second preseason game? Hey NFL, it’s time to seriously consider pruning the exhibition season down to two games, don’t you think?

9) I really like Deonte Thompson. He looks to be a crisp route runner and has that mind set that any ball in the air is his ball that the great wide receivers all seem to possess. With the shaky state of Sammy’s glut and Percey’s hip a door has opened for a young receiver to step through - so far Deonte is seizing the opportunity to make the 53-man roster.

8) Pay Marcell Dareus. The big man is a rare talent who can both stymie the run game and get after the passer with great tenacity. Recent reports are that contract talks between Dareus’ agent and the Bills have reached a stalemate.

There is still a lot of time to get a deal done, but a multi-faceted 25 year-old DT just entering his prime is the guy you want to shower with Pegula bucks.

7) It was nice to see Ronald Darby get the two picks tonight. He got torched both on the field and in the next day’s newspapers last week when the Bills purposely put him on an island against a very good NFL receiver. Despite that, I felt his form was good last week and that he would use the game as a learning tool.

This week he got called for an early pass interference peanlty, but quickly made amends by flipping the field on two possessions. He looks like a kid that has a nose for the ball and I think he and Gilmore are going to be a formidable tandem that will make some noise this season.

6) It was great to see Dan Carpenter back tonight. Even though he clanked his first kick off of the upright, he has quickly become one of the most beloved Bills.

Dan the Man has that North Dallas Forty throwback vibe that just makes you exhale when he lines up for a kick while thinking, it’s going through man, right down the middle.

5) I really can’t wait to watch our front four turn it loose for real in a few weeks. I have a feeling that they are going to break the sack records that they set two years ago.

I also think that Jerry Hughes might make a run at Bruce’s single-season Bills sack record. Yeah, I said it.

4) Bye-Bye, EJ.

Yeah, Manuel looked good on the winning possession while driving the team to a TD and 2-point conversion. But was it too little too late? Prior to that drive EJ had a horrible night that looked like a guy begging for a ticket out of town.

Sure EJ was in with 2nd and 3rd stringers and, at times, was being blitz-protected by a running back that was signed only yesterday. Still, he continually exhibited a trait that he has shown throughout his career - he doesn’t properly set his feet before throwing the ball. At this point, it is evident that he is incapable of correcting that fatal flaw.

I don’t know where Manuel will be on opening weekend, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be in the house that Ralph built.

3) Who in the hell are Mario Butler, Merrill Noel and Cedric Reed, you ask? They are young defensive players who just keep making plays during camp and in preseason games.

I don’t know if any or all of them will end up on the final roster or the practice squad, but I do know that they are taking full advantage of the shot they’ve been given.

Are your ears ringing Dez Lewis?

2) The new distance for extra points will take a little getting used to. Did the kick-after-touchdown really need fixing? Also, what’s the story with the gold numbers on the 50?

I guess I’m a purist, just give me white letters and leave the gold-lamé to Broadway.

1) If I’m making the call Tyrod leap-frogged Cassel tonight in the race to be the opening day QB. He made numerous 3rd down conversions with pinpoint passes to move the sticks.

He hung in the pocket and made good reads and ran effectively in limited spots. He also threw a nice fade to Thompson that could easily have gone for 6.

All in all it was a very good night for a guy playing with scrub receivers and backs.

It is the political season: Tippecanoe and Tyrod, too?

Hey, a win is a win and 11-10 is a great baseball score in August to get the first “W” of the Rex Ryan era. Just keep everyone healthy and let’s get to September already.

Really stretching to get to 10?

I wasn't very happy about that 4th down play where the defense was completely not ready....but i am sure it's not anything we need to worry about when regular season starts, but you gotta practice like it's the regular season

I'm a little concerned that this D is beginning to look a lot like Rex's previous Ds. Incredibly talented, gets after the quarterback and not very disciplined. Could be a recipe for disaster in critical moments.

C

On the running game, the group picked up off the street were reasonably effective behind the starting oline. Strengthens my conviction in running back by committee and saving the money for investing in the oline

Hill 8 for 25

Seale 8 for 10

Wood 3 for 6

I think you may need to rethink your logic.

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at stats and start looking at the play.

Play hasn't done much either. Hasn't produced one TD drive playing with the 1s.

Oh come on, EJ Manuel is 2/5 this preseason on deep routes. Taylor is 1/4. EJ has connected on one more deep pass.

and two more TDs lol. We have, and will debate this as fans until it hurts. I honestly support whomever gets the nod, I just can't wrap my head around the hype. I just don't see the magic, outside of a little scrambling, and extended plays. EJ is getting better, I like how is he is climbing the pocket, the sack/fumble should have been thrown away by him.

Edited by DirtDart

On the running game, the group picked up off the street were reasonably effective behind the starting oline. Strengthens my conviction in running back by committee and saving the money for investing in the oline

Reasonably effective :lol: another brilliant take. They combined for 41 yards on 19 carries for 2.1YPC. Honestly, did you watch the game?

Rapid OVER Reaction - 10 Observations About Tonight’s Game

4) Bye-Bye, EJ.

Not really sure where this came from. The guy took a bunch of scrubs that probably won't make the team, and drove them down the field despite their bad play, penalties. Then not only got a TD, a two points conversion but also won the game.

Seriously, who gives a darn where his feet are if the guy can throw a laser into a very tight window in the end zone for a TD!!

But then, haters gonna hate i suppose.

Hill 8 for 25

Seale 8 for 10

Wood 3 for 6

I think you may need to rethink your logic.

Reasonably effective :lol: another brilliant take. They combined for 41 yards on 19 carries for 2.1YPC. Honestly, did you watch the game?

This OP has some issues.

On the running game, the group picked up off the street were reasonably effective behind the starting oline.

Oh? So 11 rushes for 27 yards is reasonably effective behind the starting OL? A YPC of 2.4. I wouldn't call that effective at all. I'd call that lousy.

not for a combination of Shady, Williams and Freddy, but yeah for Hill, Seale and Wood, it can be considered effective...that simply can't be glossed over like that. No one is saying it is acceptable for starters in the NFL, but they aren't

Oh? So 11 rushes for 27 yards is reasonably effective behind the starting OL? A YPC of 2.4. I wouldn't call that effective at all. I'd call that lousy.

So funny (or painful maybe?) how the board morphs everything into a black and white, THIS guy or THAT guy thing...LOL. There is never any in-between.

Truth is, TT looked very impressive and EJ did a LOT working with very little, and clearly has improved. We should all be happy about BOTH occurrences, but for some reason we aren't. :doh:

this post deserves a warning point...take your reasonable thinking somewhere else! Didn't you see that RB we picked up off the street the day before fail miserably in his YPC???? this team is DOOOOOOMED

So funny (or painful maybe?) how the board morphs everything into a black and white, THIS guy or THAT guy thing...LOL. There is never any in-between.

Truth is, TT looked very impressive and EJ did a LOT working with very little, and clearly has improved. We should all be happy about BOTH occurrences, but for some reason we aren't. :doh:

not for a combination of Shady, Williams and Freddy, but yeah for Hill, Seale and Wood, it can be considered effective...that simply can't be glossed over like that. No one is saying it is acceptable for starters in the NFL, but they aren't

That's what the conversation is revolving around though. JTSP is saying that Hill, Seale and Wood could be just as effective as McCoy, Williams and Jackson. Actually it's just McCoy because that's who he has it out for. He sees no point in McCoy being on the team and any ole tom, dick or harry can replace his production. My counter is no, they can't and wouldn't be as effective. I'm not arguing whether they were effective within there own abilities.

Fortunately Tyrod also had 4 carries for 41 yards to pad the stats

Yup.

:thumbsup:

That's what the conversation is revolving around though. JTSP is saying that Hill, Seale and Wood could be just as effective as McCoy, Williams and Jackson. Actually it's just McCoy because that's who he has it out for. He sees no point in McCoy being on the team and any ole tom, dick or harry can replace his production. My counter is no, they can't and wouldn't be as effective. I'm not arguing whether they were effective within there own abilities.

Yup.

I'd call it lousy too. Looking at the play by play for the first half, and Goodwin's end run that was stuffed for negative 9 yards did not help.

Hill off RT for 3 yards

Seale off RG for 6 yards

Seale off LT for -4 yards

Seale off RG for 3 yards

Seale of RG for 2 yards

Hill off RG for 2 yards

Hill off RT for 2 yards

7 run plays for 14 yards =2.0 ypc avg

Hill off RT for 4 yards

Goodwin left end for -9 yards

2 run plays for -5 yards

Hill off RG for 10 yards

Hill off LG for -1 yards

Seale off RT for 2 yards

3 runs for 11 yards= 3.6 ypc avg,

Seale off RG for one yard

unless my math is off somewhere

13 run plays for 21 yards in the first half. = 1.6 ypc avg

The QB Taylor rushing made the rushing stats look better then they were.

Yup.

Actually what I said is they were "reasonably effective". The rest of it you made up.

Actually what I said is they were "reasonably effective". The rest of it you made up.

In comparison to what McCoy will do this year and what is considered starting RB material the 3 of them combined weren't "reasonably effective" at all. They were lousy. And you compared them to McCoy. You also said that you feel the Bills could get by with a "running back by committee" and their was no reason to over pay for RBs.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Was it me, or did Rex look flummoxed when EJ was driving late and making plays? Now he's got a decision to make in game three. I think he was hoping EJ made it for him. I thought TT looked good, still scared he's going to put himself in harms way too often. EJ looked like a QB last night. Props to him for stepping up into the tire fire that was his pocket last night. Both guys made their reads. Encouraging play from both.

I think EJ shouldbe the number 2 behind Taylor.

I totally agree. Castle is a good, reliable number three. EJ is close in performance as Tyrod, just not as reliable. Will he ever become number one? I just don't know....

7) It was nice to see Ronald Darby get the two picks tonight. He got torched both on the field and in the next day’s newspapers last week when the Bills purposely put him on an island against a very good NFL receiver. Despite that, I felt his form was good last week and that he would use the game as a learning tool.

This week he got called for an early pass interference peanlty, but quickly made amends by flipping the field on two possessions. He looks like a kid that has a nose for the ball and I think he and Gilmore are going to be a formidable tandem that will make some noise this season.

You can't use that word. Gruden has a it trademarked. It is the only adjective he used all night to describe the Bills' D-Line. I think he used formidable once for each of our star lineman. I usually like Gruden, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to wearing out adjectives in the same piece of work.

I can't agree with you more about Darby. I didn't even think that PI was all that bad. it definitely was no worse than the no call in the endzone on our failed scoring drive. Like you, I wasn't too concerned about what happened last week. That pretty much happens to every young, promising corner.

In comparison to what McCoy will do this year and what is considered starting RB material the 3 of them combined weren't "reasonably effective" at all. They were lousy. And you compared them to McCoy. You also said that you feel the Bills could get by with a "running back by committee" and their was no reason to over pay for RBs.

It appears you're having a hard time with the fact you called them "lousy" yet when the proper comparison was made to the first team starter, their performance was not far off. Do I think they, as in that group, would be just as good as McCoy? No I don't and never said that.

EJ looked better than Tears of the Clown did for the Browns. If we cut EJ another team will sign him to back up. Probably the Pats.

If the season started todat I would start TT until he gets hurt. Then I would play EJ until he gets hurt. Then hopefully Cassel going .500 will be enough to make the playoffs.

That being said I think EJ deserves the start next week just as a confirmation that he will be no more than a decent backup this year.