EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want to cut Cassel because of money. I want him to not be needed. And even if the other 2 do develop, I'd keep him around. Nothing wrong with keeping a vet backup around. We have been down to our 3rd QB a couple times in recent history.

The ideal for me is that even of we feel the need to keep Cassel this year by the end of the season we are comfortable with the prospect of Taylor, EJ and a rookie next year that we can let him go. That will probably mean Tyrod needs to have started at least most of the year and played well and EJ needs to have continued to develop to the point he is considered at worst a viable back up.

The ideal for me is that even of we feel the need to keep Cassel this year by the end of the season we are comfortable with the prospect of Taylor, EJ and a rookie next year that we can let him go. That will probably mean Tyrod needs to have started at least most of the year and played well and EJ needs to have continued to develop to the point he is considered at worst a viable back up.

Agreed, or vice versa B-):thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

He had a helluva lot more good plays than bad in that game by any objective measure. Even his harshest critics in the media praised his play yesterday. But there's no convincing some who are stuck on their preconceived notions. Carry on.

nah rewatch the game. I thought he played ok the first time I watched. 2nd time, nope. same old EJ.

This was clearly defined more than once as my idea> do not take credit for it.

But if blame becomes due? She's all yours brother

For those saying EJ should get a chance with the first team, then I suppose the same could be said for Matt Simms. He hasn't been given a chance to show what he could do with the first team either.

get real; that's a red herring and a non-starter. Simms is another arm in TC, that's all. Don't try to derail the argument of TT vs. EJ with the ridiculous Simms reference.

For some time I've thought that EJ just didn't have what it takes. Too tentative, not seeing the field etc,. But it does seem like he's improved and I also think he deserves a shot with our starting offense. As others have said, at least the 1st quarter. He still has potential, he's young, has good size, and a strong arm.

To those who say we can't afford to give him that much time because we have to concentrate on giving our true starter more reps for the next 2 games, I say hogwash. 1 less quarter is not going to ruin the chances for whoever the starter is. More importantly while it is important to pick a starter, it's also important to pick the #2 QB. You can't make that choice if you haven't seen all 3 play with our starting O against a starting D.

Yeah, I guess it is more which coach is backing which QB? Rex is almost certainly Tyrod from the reports and his general giddiness (if that's a word). The rest of the coaches I just don't know nor do I know how much say they have. Metz, is saying that Roman is a Cassel guy and that would be consistent (at least potentially) with the Cole report.

Ultimately, will Rex make the decision? Roman? Lee?

He was a 1st round pick and going into his last year was projected as the 1st overall pick. That's probably not the best example (Romo or Brady would be better examples).

I think you know lee isn't the guy making the call

If he was as good as some of you are desperate to believe he is, he wouldn't have lost his job last year to a retired QB, and forced the team to pick up two QBs this year who have never been able to establish themselves as starters. He's had his chances to take the starting position but doesn't have the consistency to keep it.

When the play doesn't go perfect and he has to improvise, he's indecisive over if he should run or throw, and that's when he gets in trouble and makes bad decisions. At best it's an overthrow, at worst it's a fumble or interception.

riiiiiiiight, and that had absolutely nothing to do with Moron panicking to keep his job...... :wallbash:

How about people are actually watching games and can see his game progressing? I love how you throw out empty statements with no backup. Very convincing.

Glad I could convince you. But his regular season play against starting defenses should have been enough. The coaches are doing him a favor by letting him play against the "JV squad" defenses so far.

and despite the adversity i love seeing that after darbys first pick hes the first offensive player running off the bench to congratulate him, hes the guy celebrating a preseason win....

I dont know if EJ will fix a couple of the mechanics/mental things to get to where he needs to be, but its hard not to like the guy. from entering the organization, he has had a rough path, and hes done very well with staying positive and trying to work through the obstacles (his own and those around him)

good post

where is the redzone anyways? i keep looking for it but never see the red parts. Is it somewhere near the opposing team goal line?

Because if we are talking about within the five or so, happy feet wont get it done. and you get two reads in three seconds so ya better know where you are going when the balls snapped i bet.

You're right the pass reads are quicker, and scrambling won't provide too much benefit. However, his feet would be powerful in a designed run (particularly a read option or boot leg). This would make the team more efficient in the RZ. I don't want to be bottom 5 in RZ efficiency again; I don't care how it gets done.

Glad I could convince you. But his regular season play against starting defenses should have been enough. The coaches are doing him a favor by letting him play against the "JV squad" defenses so far.

The thing is, none of the QB;s are very good. It's fine to say EJM has these flaws, but do you really stand behind Cassel or Taylor?

Please, wax poetic about Cassel for us....

riiiiiiiight, and that had absolutely nothing to do with Moron panicking to keep his job...... :wallbash:

Weeelllll, that might be true. But it's also true that EJ's throws were getting receivers killed. That might be part of the reason he was benched. I think Woods complained.

You're right the pass reads are quicker, and scrambling won't provide too much benefit. However, his feet would be powerful in a designed run (particularly a read option or boot leg). This would make the team more efficient in the RZ. I don't want to be bottom 5 in RZ efficiency again; I don't care how it gets done.

That must be repaired.

Alignments should provide plenty of options if Bills are outside the Ten. But i sure would like to see them effective with that heavy option and be able to just plain get the push to move the pile. But maybe thats another story for another day

Weeelllll, that might be true. But it's also true that EJ's throws were getting receivers killed. That might be part of the reason he was benched. I think Woods complained.

And receivers' drops were killing drives. I didn't see EJ whining about it.

Ej does NOT deserve more time with the #1's. He's not the #1. That would be counter productive.

TT is Kap#2. Let's leave like that.

EJ had his chance last year and he blew it. I understand players improve. The reality is that Ej always had flashes of being good. That's all fine and dandy. But at the end of the day he is who we know he is. Just another average qb.

QB order should be:

TT

Cassell

EJ

TT looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #1 DEFENSE.

Ej looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #3 DEFENSE.

That statement has been bandied about but let's not go there just yet .....

As Clint Eastwood said, "deserve's got nuthin' to do with it..."

One thing I did notice about EJ in this, and last weeks game was that he is late on crossing routes. He needs to put the ball out in front of the receiver, but more often than not hits them on the front of their shoulder, or even on their pads. That has resulted in several dropped balls-- at least one from Hogan, Thompson, and Grey that I can recall (IIRC). But, he has gotten better. Just not quickly.

IMO, Taylor really was better last night. We shouldn't cut EJ. But, if Taylor has achieved the "separation" we keep talking about (and he has) let's not pretend that the separation has to be monumental to start treating TT like a starter. It's time.