EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

Maybe the Steelers will trade QB's with us then so they can have the younger version of him and we can go win a Superbowl? Come on man...

EJ looked abolutely nothing like Big Ben. Ben is notorious for avoiding the pass rush and then throwing a bomb on the same play. EJ hasn't learned the first part of that well enough yet. He is nowhere near Ben R. EJ looks more accurate than he has in the past, but his pocket awareness looks the exact same to me as it did last year (which is not very good by the way). = Backup for now.

I noticed that during the game. That was definitely impressive how he one handed that and made it look like it was second nature.

You mean something like this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000510238/Can-t-Miss-Play-EJ-Manuel-drops-a-dime-to-Deonte-Thompson-for-a-TD

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not disagreeing with you, he isn't Big Ben, but did you see the TD vs. Carolina. Did you see him escaping the relentless and uncontested pass rush Thirsday? It at the least, resembled Ben

TD vs. Carolina was good. Shows he has talent.

Did I see him escaping the pass rush Thursday? NO. I saw him getting sacked Thursday repeatedly and stumbling around in the pocket. What game did you watch? His made a couple short throws and one run for first down during his first 3 series. He basically sucked for his first 3 possessions out there. His fourth possession was impressive. But being impressive 25% of the time is not good enough to be a starter in the NFL. It will lose you games consistently unless your defense plays lights out.

I just want to see EJ perform with the starting offensive line!! Let Deonte Thompson, Andre Davis, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Gragg and Bronson Hill play. I need to see how EJ perform when given time. Even Rex said "EJ was OUTSTANDING when given time to throw". It's not like the Oline doesn't need the work. Give EJ the 3rd quarter with this crew.

It's on tape for all to judge how "Ben Rothlesberger" EJ was in the Browns game. FWIW, when EJ was drafted he described himself as being the mold of Big Ben. I would love to see him start against the Steelers because I think he's going to play great.

So if I describe myself as being Superman, does that mean I can fly around at the speed of light, leap buildings in a single bound and shoot lasers out of my eyes? Who the hell cares who he compared himself too? How does that matter to anyone at all?

I don't see the Ben Rothlesberger in him at all. Ben is one of the hardest QBs to sack. EJ is one of the easier ones. Not close.

I just want to see EJ perform with the starting offensive line!! Let Deonte Thompson, Andre Davis, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Gragg and Bronson Hill play. I need to see how EJ perform when given time. Even Rex said "EJ was OUTSTANDING when given time to throw". It's not like the Oline doesn't need the work. Give EJ the 3rd quarter with this crew.

So is almost every quarterback.

That is not how football works. The other teams are supposed to pressure you.

Good quarterbacks will make the rushers miss and then still make a play, not every time, but a lot of the times. A trait of an outstanding quarterback is one who can tell where they pressure is going to come from and then make the other team pay for it. EJ isn't very good at either of those things, at least not yet. = Still a backup

Edited by PolishDave

Did I see him escaping the pass rush Thursday? NO. I saw him getting sacked Thursday repeatedly and stumbling around in the pocket. What game did you watch? His made a couple short throws and one run for first down during his first 3 series. He basically sucked for his first 3 possessions out there. His fourth possession was impressive. But being impressive 25% of the time is not good enough to be a starter in the NFL. It will lose you games consistently unless your defense plays lights out.

You are blind and biased. His 1st possession began on the 1 yard line. He got one 1st down by breaking the pocket to run for a 1st down. He got the Bills a 2nd 1st down with two decisive and accurate passes to WRs. So much for stumbling around.

Do you remember last years preseason when Marrone gave EJ like two series in each preseason game. What was up with that, EJ needed the work then but St. Doug was like obstinate to not play him. And remember I forget which game last year, Manuel got in at the end of the game, had 2-3 minutes left, and Manuel didn't get one single passing play call. What was up with that, he could've used the work. Almost like Marrone just had a personal vendetta against him. Anyways, my point is, I think he deserved a fair shake back then, and I do now. I know he's not going to start the season (probs) but he deserves a fair shake. That's all.

Orton wasn't even on the team back then.

Edited by mastershake

I don't think he should be held to a higher standard either. I wasn't saying that. I was saying shouldn't we be expecting what he's done this far as normal seeing as who his competition has been against. I wasn't comparing him to Taylor or Cassel.

Based on the competition alone, yes. He is doing what's expected of him. Based on the competition and what he has to work with, is say he is doing above what is expected of him.

I'm not saying he would light it up with the ones but TT ran against twos in the first game and everyone was gushing over him. He definitely made strides the second game with the ones though. Especially considering his supporting cast.

Edited by The Wiz

That wasn't a bash on Wilson, it was a preference of what most fans would like as your franchise QB. Russell Wilson types have a much greater chance of having a shorter career by four or five years given their size and running around a lot with the ball.

As for the other QBs you mentioned, none of them were drafted in the first round with the expectation of becoming a franchise QB after two or three years. They are quality backups who had good games, nothing more. With Manuel, you have a guy that Mike Mayock said would take a few years to develop, but if or when he did he would become a long term franchise QB you could win with. That is the difference between these performances and it's a big one considering the Bills did draft him in the first round with the expectation of developing him for a couple of years.

Why does it matter what the other QB's were drafted for? They are QBs who replicated and in some ways performed better than Manuel. This thread is about how Manuels performance thus far makes him deserving of a chance with the 1st team offense. Comparing to what other QBs have done in the preseason thus far Manuel is performing as well as some backup QBs. Does that mean he is deserving of times with the 1st team? I don't know. I'm not convinced it does. Unless you are saying because he performed as well as some of the backups in the league and he was drafted to be a franchise QB, that should get him reps.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

For some time I've thought that EJ just didn't have what it takes. Too tentative, not seeing the field etc,. But it does seem like he's improved and I also think he deserves a shot with our starting offense. As others have said, at least the 1st quarter. He still has potential, he's young, has good size, and a strong arm.

To those who say we can't afford to give him that much time because we have to concentrate on giving our true starter more reps for the next 2 games, I say hogwash. 1 less quarter is not going to ruin the chances for whoever the starter is. More importantly while it is important to pick a starter, it's also important to pick the #2 QB. You can't make that choice if you haven't seen all 3 play with our starting O against a starting D.

nailed it

Do you remember last years preseason when Marrone gave EJ like two series in each preseason game. What was up with that, EJ needed the work then but St. Doug was like obstinate to not play him. And remember I forget which game last year, Manuel got in at the end of the game, had 2-3 minutes left, and Manuel didn't get one single passing play call. What was up with that, he could've used the work. Almost like Marrone just had a personal vendetta against him. Anyways, my point is, I think he deserved a fair shake back then, and I do now. I know he's not going to start the season (probs) but he deserves a fair shake. That's all.

Orton wasn't even on the team back then.

Ej would have been better off if he had a good veteran QB to learn from for a few years. Ideally we would have kept Fitz. He could have taken us to the playoffs with the defense we have had the last two years. And he would have been an absolutely terrific mentor for EJ. Unfortunately that whole situation was a fiasco.

EJ looks like he is getting better. If he keeps improving, then he will earn the starting job eventually. I just don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. Maybe next year. Who knows?

You are blind and biased. His 1st possession began on the 1 yard line. He got one 1st down by breaking the pocket to run for a 1st down. He got the Bills a 2nd 1st down with two decisive and accurate passes to WRs. So much for stumbling around.

I am being objective. I gave him credit for the plays he made.

You are the one with blinders on if you think his first 3 series in that game resemble anything close to being a serviceable quarterback. They did not. He looked like a rookie out there the first 3 series and not a talented rookie mind you, but a bad one. Then he had a good series in the last seven minutes of the fourth quarter. Before that, he sucked. If you can't see that, then you do have some kind of man love going on. Its indisputable.

So if I describe myself as being Superman, does that mean I can fly around at the speed of light, leap buildings in a single bound and shoot lasers out of my eyes? Who the hell cares who he compared himself too? How does that matter to anyone at all?

I don't see the Ben Rothlesberger in him at all. Ben is one of the hardest QBs to sack. EJ is one of the easier ones. Not close.

So is almost every quarterback.

That is not how football works. The other teams are supposed to pressure you.

Good quarterbacks will make the rushers miss and then still make a play, not every time, but a lot of the times. A trait of an outstanding quarterback is one who can tell where they pressure is going to come from and then make the other team pay for it. EJ isn't very good at either of those things, at least not yet. = Still a backup

These Ej agendas are just too much.

Ej's throwing darts the other 2 qb's can only dream of. Sorry this makes Ej doubters lives worse somehow.

TT 1 EJ 2 60/40 Tyrod for me.

Matt Saracen > Matt Cassel.

I think you know lee isn't the guy making the call

Probably not, but it depends on the relationship. Position coaches always have. A lot of say at roster selection time. Maybe they don't have as much of a say in determining who starts but Lee spends the most time with them of and his opinion will be very important. He will be one of the votes but maybe not the final.

These Ej agendas are just too much.

Ej's throwing darts the other 2 qb's can only dream of. Sorry this makes Ej doubters lives worse somehow.

TT 1 EJ 2 60/40 Tyrod for me.

Matt Saracen > Matt Cassel.

If you are suggesting I have an agenda with EJ you are dead wrong.

I just want my team to have the best quarterback possible starting. I don't care whose name is on the jersey. I don't care how tall he is or what he looks like. All I care about is his play on the field. Can he move the chains consistently. Does he pose a big play threat to the opposing team. How hard is it for teams to defend against him.

EJ possesses the second part of the puzzle there which is posing a big play threat. But Thursday he showed he can't move the chains consistently (only did it 1 series out of 4) and he showed he isn't hard to defend against in (3 out of 4 series also). Again - good play 25% of your possessions makes you a backup in this league which is what he deserves to be right now.

If you are suggesting I have an agenda with EJ you are dead wrong.

I just want my team to have the best quarterback possible starting. I don't care whose name is on the jersey. I don't care how tall he is or what he looks like. All I care about is his play on the field. Can he move the chains consistently. Does he pose a big play threat to the opposing team. How hard is it for teams to defend against him.

EJ possesses the second part of the puzzle there which is posing a big play threat. But Thursday he showed he can't move the chains consistently (only did it 1 series out of 4) and he showed he isn't hard to defend against in (3 out of 4 series also). Again - good play 25% of your possessions makes you a backup in this league which is what he deserves to be right now.

when people say they know EJ is the #3 and don't want him to start ...... some say that's an agenda

when people say they know EJ is the #3 and don't want him to start ...... some say that's an agenda

Others would say they trust credible people and have closely and objectively (key word there) followed the offseason. The reality is (and I know you hate it) as of right now EJ is 3 on the depth chart. He has played well in the preseason but unfortunately for him so have the guys in front of him. That's just reality (as painful as that may be).

I'm not sure how much football you watch but a pass rush is the surefire way to throw ANY QB off their game. It's how you rattle Rogers, Manning, Brady, etc. Give those guys time to throw and they're deadly. Get in their face and they are human. No QB will play well with DL consistently in their face. I'm not sure why you're attempting to hold EJ to this level when HoF guys can't get it done with that type of blocking. I was actually pleased by what I saw EJ do in those situations. He actually kept his eyes down field and was still looking to make plays despite chaos around him.

Yet, despite this EJ led the O to two 10+ play drives in his four drives. Yeah, that's right, two 10+ play drives which ate clock and produced first downs. So you might want to rethink the "sucked" part. If that is a drive that "sucked" then TT only had one solid drive all night.

Others would say they trust credible people and have closely and objectively (key word there) followed the offseason. The reality is (and I know you hate it) as of right now EJ is 3 on the depth chart. He has played well in the preseason but unfortunately for him so have the guys in front of him. That's just reality (as painful as that may be).

show me a link to audio of Rex saying EJ is #3 please and then I'll believe it.