EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

show me a link to audio of Rex saying EJ is #3 please and then I'll believe it.

You aren't going to see that. That's not the way that stories break in sports. It just doesn't work like that. Credible reporters (like Cole, Glazer, etc...) work their contacts to get the info. There is nothing to be gained by Rex by releasing it. He has already said that he won't.

The report is that Rex prefers Tyrod (no surprise) and the "other" coaches Cassel. Now who the "other" coaches are hasn't been defined. Metz is saying that Roman (at least before the other night) is firmly a Cassel guy. It will play itself out but if you are waiting for Rex to make an announcement you may be waiting until they run out of the tunnel vs. Indy.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I just want to see EJ perform with the starting offensive line!! Let Deonte Thompson, Andre Davis, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Gragg and Bronson Hill play. I need to see how EJ perform when given time. Even Rex said "EJ was OUTSTANDING when given time to throw". It's not like the Oline doesn't need the work. Give EJ the 3rd quarter with this crew.

That's more than fair, I agree with this, throw the kid a bone. He's been kicked up and down and all over this town since last year, let him build more confidence. If nothing else, it will help determine if his development is worth continuing.

What's weird is that more than two thirds of fans on this Bills board still want Tyrod Taylor as their starting QB even after EJ has performed very well in the scrimmage and two preseason games. You look at the size differential, the styles of play, and say that EJ is the perfect prototype of what a long term Superbowl contending franchise QB looks like.

Manuel's performance in that Browns game was a spot-on impression of Ben Rothlesberger and here you have fans and media laughing off the suggestion that EJ is in the mix. Even the ESPN first take clowns were just scoffing at the idea that EJ should still have a chance to start. I feel like I'm living in an upside-down world sometimes with regards to this QB competition. I think that EJ looks to have turned the corner and I really hope that Rex gives him the start against Big Ben's Steelers because if both Taylor and Manuel are franchise QBs in the making, you want the big strong 4th quarter clutch guy as your QB rather than the Russel Wilson type. Did Taylor look smoother? Sure he did, but EJ got the game winning results and he was playing under serious pressure. IMO the "smoother" part will come with time after being allowed to settle into the job.

That's because while EJ is definitely playing better, TT is still way ahead of him. And he should be. He's had more time and better coaching, even as a Raven backup. EJ is like a starving man finally given nourishment, going from Dog Maroon to Rex/Roman. The Bills can afford to let EJ mature.

Weeelllll, that might be true. But it's also true that EJ's throws were getting receivers killed. That might be part of the reason he was benched. I think Woods complained.

The only reason anyone says this is the crosser to Goodwin... Go find the clip and explain the route Goodwin is running. He makes a break back toward the LOS about halfway through his crossing pattern. That's wrong, hence I'm not so sure that play wasn't a result of a bad route just as much as throwing a wr into traffic.

Woods was pissed, visibly, when passes didn't seem to be where they should have but its amazing how one play explodes into serial manslaughter.

I agree with the idea that EJ deserves time with the 1s. There is no doubt that his game has developed and that he has not reached his ceiling.

However the early camp prognosis as well as the coaches getting caught up with Bills film was that he did not give the team the best chance to win, plus the fact that Greg Roman sought after Matt Cassell to run his possession offense.

Tyrod Taylor is developing as well, seemingly a steal given that the Ravens have committed to Flacco and did not want to pay for Taylor's contract as a 2. His ceiling is also unknown.

Quite honestly this is a good problem for the Bills to have. It does seem Rex is somewhat frustrated with the emergence of EJ as a competitor because he had likely decided on Cassell or Taylor already. Another QB to deal with gives him yet another decision.
the bigger question is not who starts on day 1, but which QB gets released.

Whether EJ deserves or has earned the right to start or practice / play with the 1s is one issue and they have time to make that call.

However IMHO he has clearly earned the right and deserves to remain on the active roster.

You aren't going to see that. That's not the way that stories break in sports. It just doesn't work like that. Credible reporters (like Cole, Glazer, etc...) work their contacts to get the info. There is nothing to be gained by Rex by releasing it. He has already said that he won't.

The report is that Rex prefers Tyrod (no surprise) and the "other" coaches Cassel. Now who the "other" coaches are hasn't been defined. Metz is saying that Roman (at least before the other night) is firmly a Cassel guy. It will play itself out but if you are waiting for Rex to make an announcement you may be waiting until they run out of the tunnel vs. Indy.

I read the report as Rex wants Tyrod but the others are mixed, with the implication being that Roman wants Cassel, but not necessarily everyone else (although everyone else doesn't count as much as those two do).

CM9J7UAUkAAWhne.jpg

See this man knows. That pass was money perfectly placed.Give EJ a half with the starters. I know Rex Ryan is a TT honk. It's obvious. But if Ryan truly trusts Roman as his OC he should let Roman make the qb call. I think Roman can do alot with EJ. I get that Taylor is mobile and has "that magic" but EJ was in an offense that was a complete joke last year with an OC that was using bottle caps and drawing pathetic plays int he dirt. run run and throw on 3rd and long sucks no matter who the QB is. I bet Roman can do alot with EJ's skill set and the eye test tells me he got better this summer. My vote is EJ and if he get's a shot with the ones in this third preseason and has a good outting than he will DESERVE to start...my two cents

Edited by BeefCurtns

You know what that says to me? It says: "We had discounted EJ and he did something on Thursday night that just caused us to check ourselves." He is not dead yet folks.

I found the "we'll rotate all three in this week" interesting. Edited by Doc

TD vs. Carolina was good. Shows he has talent.

Did I see him escaping the pass rush Thursday? NO. I saw him getting sacked Thursday repeatedly and stumbling around in the pocket. What game did you watch? His made a couple short throws and one run for first down during his first 3 series. He basically sucked for his first 3 possessions out there. His fourth possession was impressive. But being impressive 25% of the time is not good enough to be a starter in the NFL. It will lose you games consistently unless your defense plays lights out.

How many yards was that TD drive?

Edited by 3rdand12

TD vs. Carolina was good. Shows he has talent.

Did I see him escaping the pass rush Thursday? NO. I saw him getting sacked Thursday repeatedly and stumbling around in the pocket. What game did you watch? His made a couple short throws and one run for first down during his first 3 series. He basically sucked for his first 3 possessions out there. His fourth possession was impressive. But being impressive 25% of the time is not good enough to be a starter in the NFL. It will lose you games consistently unless your defense plays lights out.

There was one play that he escaped three guys and got tackled by the fourth. Do you call that getting sacked (in a negative connotation) or avoiding the rush? He avoided a lot of rushers in that game.

Do you remember last years preseason when Marrone gave EJ like two series in each preseason game. What was up with that, EJ needed the work then but St. Doug was like obstinate to not play him. And remember I forget which game last year, Manuel got in at the end of the game, had 2-3 minutes left, and Manuel didn't get one single passing play call. What was up with that, he could've used the work. Almost like Marrone just had a personal vendetta against him. Anyways, my point is, I think he deserved a fair shake back then, and I do now. I know he's not going to start the season (probs) but he deserves a fair shake. That's all.

Orton wasn't even on the team back then.

Marrone really did not seem to like him. He wanted a white QB.

Okay bad humor. But Marrone clearly did not care for the Kid. Hence the screaming match with Whaley and the Brandon.

And then we had Orton coming out of retirement. Hmmm...

I think this is truth

You know what that says to me? It says: "We had discounted EJ and he did something on Thursday night that just caused us to check ourselves." He is not dead yet folks.

Like him or not no one can deny EJ is, at the very least, the QB equivalent of a tease...He's got just about every single thing you look for in a franchise QB...He just has to put it all together...And that may or may not ever happen...But even the most experienced coaches understand if it does happen it can mean BIG things for an offense...I don't see how Rex and Roman can avoid the temptation of seeing EJ with the 1's for at least one or two series this preseason...

But we'll see...At this point rotating all three is going to be tough... B-)

Marrone really did not seem to like him. He wanted a white QB.

Okay bad humor. But Marrone clearly did not care for the Kid. Hence the screaming match with Whaley and the Brandon.

And then we had Orton coming out of retirement. Hmmm...

I think this is truth

Well, yeah that was a little much ;) but Marrone will no doubt go down in Bills history as one of the all time great jerks!

Well, yeah that was a little much ;) but Marrone will no doubt go down in Bills history as one of the all time great jerks!

This is becoming more and more the reasoned opinion.

If only by watching the preseason games.

Much less the player comments.

Excuse my poor humor, but i would put nothing past Marrone and his bizarre behaviour . an i was a fan when they hired him :bag:

People, you should all listen to WGR less. The way I see it, TT still has yet shown me that he can throw the ball accurately down field. When he scrambled, he rarely look deep. He scored no touch down in 2 preseason game, even when he got good protection. For me he is just another running quarterback. He is like Brad Smith with more opportunities. He needs to prove to me he is a complete package by completing some long passes. He is already lack size. We got all these offensive weapons. It seems such a waste to have a QB that only want to run or throw short passes. Just want to warn you ahead of time, if you over rate him, you could be pretty frustrate when he doesn't work out when real bullets are flying.