Tyrod Taylor to start Week 2 preseason

Beef Jerky

They called about three run pass options for him to see what he could do, so I doubt they would be calling 12 of those a game. Plus, he had two long drives with a bunch of plays that resulted in TDs. They just wouldn't be having him do all of that stuff all game, and if he is leading the team on 90 yard drives they wouldn't be passing all that much the whole game. I just don't think you can extrapolate it like that. He didn't take a lot of hits either.

With apologies to AD, dude is a witch.

So if he's not going to run it that much the entire game the question remains, how effective will he be? How effective will the offense be at moving the chains?

There is a fine line. I love QBs who can scramble yet are still throw first guys. QBs who bring the ball down and look to run immediately are the last guys I want on the field. As I said, I like Tyrod's skill package but he's got to show he can get the job done with more than his legs as his primary weapon. That is still the question about his game. It will likely take some time for him to figure it out and I'm fine with that.

But people acting like he'll be able to do what he did last night in the regular season are in for a surprise. We've seen better talents than him fail at doing it in the long term. Sure, he might have a few games where it's effective, but the D always catches up to it. Always.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So if he's not going to run it that much the entire game the question remains, how effective will he be? How effective will the offense be at moving the chains?

There is a fine line. I love QBs who can scramble yet are still throw first guys. QBs who bring the ball down and look to run immediately are the last guys I want on the field. As I said, I like Tyrod's skill package but he's got to show he can get the job done with more than his legs as his primary weapon. That is still the question about his game. It will likely take some time for him to figure it out and I'm fine with that.

But people acting like he'll be able to do what he did last night in the regular season are in for a surprise. We've seen better talents than him fail at doing it in the long term. Sure, he might have a few games where it's effective, but the D always catches up to it. Always.

Nobody knows at this point. But you keep asserting Taylor is a "run-first" quarterback. If the offensive coordinator calls a bootleg with an option to pass, that's what he has to do. If he is in the pocket and a DE comes straight at him, he better run out of there and do something else. In fact, that very play happened. A Carolina DE got a free run at Taylor for a sack on almost any other QB, Taylor spun free ran towards the sideline and THREW the ball to Williams for a first down.

There is no large body of work to evaluate here. But according to the coaching staff and people attending the practices Taylor has been making good throws. I do want to see him throw some more passes Thursday night so we'll have even more film soon enough.

Edited by jeffismagic

Everyone keeps saying we have to wait and see if TT can move the offense from the pocket but don't we already have the answer to that question? It might be unfair to TT, because he practices against one of the best defenses in the league everyday in training camp, but he isn't lighting up our defense. The hope for me is most defenses he faces will pale in comparison to ours and he will be effective.

Nobody knows at this point. But you keep asserting Taylor is a "run-first" quarterback. If the offensive coordinator calls a bootleg with an option to pass, that's what he has to do. If he is in the pocket and a DE comes straight at him, he better run out of there and do something else. In fact, that very play happened. A Carolina DE got a free run at Taylor for a sack on almost any other QB, Taylor spun free ran towards the sideline and THREW the ball to Williams for a first down.

There is no large body of work to evaluate here. But according to the coaching staff and people attending the practices Taylor has been making good throws. I do want to see him throw some more passes Thursday night so we'll have even more film soon enough.

Reports I've read from camp have him taking off running in 7 on 7s. Making one read and tucking the ball. Those same things were reported in the scrimmage and I saw much the same things last night.

That doesn't mean he can't throw the ball, it means that when he isn't comfortable with what he's seeing he goes with his instincts and runs with the football. It has less to do with his ability to make good throws and more to do with his ability to read coverages and make his progressions. He has limited playing experience so I don't expect him to be great at it just yet. Like any inexperienced QB it takes time.

Like I said, I'm fine with that. But people need to temper their expectations. These unrealistic expectations are how you end up with people turning on the player when he can't possibly live up to them.

Reports I've read from camp have him taking off running in 7 on 7s. Making one read and tucking the ball. Those same things were reported in the scrimmage and I saw much the same things last night.

That doesn't mean he can't throw the ball, it means that when he isn't comfortable with what he's seeing he goes with his instincts and runs with the football. It has less to do with his ability to make good throws and more to do with his ability to read coverages and make his progressions. He has limited playing experience so I don't expect him to be great at it just yet. Like any inexperienced QB it takes time.

Like I said, I'm fine with that. But people need to temper their expectations. These unrealistic expectations are how you end up with people turning on the player when he can't possibly live up to them.

We'll find out soon enough. Every QB has their weaknesses and I am sure that TT has taken off at times when he could have stayed in the pocket. But your assessment is so certain that this is the default. If TT was really just running too early all the time in camp he would be fighting for the 3rd spot on the roster. But right now the coaches seem to have him neck and neck with Cassel with a chance to start.

To everyone being like "but what if he's like Vick or Flutie or RGIII and teams figure him out?" — well, all those teams got at least one good year of production from that style of QBing before they hit a wall, and this year is all we need. But I think that Taylor has the potential to be more like Kaep or Wilson. He looks pretty good throwing from the pocket now. I think he will only improve.

Adding run-option to a dink & dunk YAC oriented offense is huge. There are so many possibilities on how to move the offense when defenses are potentially vulnerable on every part of the field.

To everyone being like "but what if he's like Vick or Flutie or RGIII and teams figure him out?" — well, all those teams got at least one good year of production from that style of QBing before they hit a wall, and this year is all we need. But I think that Taylor has the potential to be more like Kaep or Wilson. He looks pretty good throwing from the pocket now. I think he will only improve.

Adding run-option to a dink & dunk YAC oriented offense is huge. There are so many possibilities on how to move the offense when defenses are potentially vulnerable on every part of the field.

Potential!? Okay, then Manuel has the " potential" to be more like McNair, Culpepper, Cam. Fans who think the Bills are giving up on EJ are fooling themselves. There is, in Greg Roman's words, " too much clay to mold". If, Taylor or Cassel gets the starting nod it will only be to let Manuel to continue to develop. It won't be long until we start calling him "Franuel"!!

Hope Taylor can be a good scrambling QB like Tarkengton or Russell. The trick is not to get hurt running so much. The Bills will need to carry all 3 QBs on the 53 roster this year .

Edited by ALF

I wouldn't try to extrapolate like that. 5 quick runs out of bounds that get 10 yards each is fine. As for Tyrod getting hurt, he doesn't do STUPID THINGS and avoids contact. He also avoids being a target in the pocket so he won't take as many vicious shots there.

I agree that QB's that run get injured more but I don't think the risk is as extreme as you make it.

STUPID THINGS -that's 'code' for EJ, right?

Finally got to see the game last night. Tyrod represents the most hope at QB and its not even close.

We have to see if he can be coached into staying in pocket and working to find a receiver instead of taking off.

The taking off thing seemed to be working however, most of the time.

No way will this guy not be #1 or #2.

He has too much to offer to be left out of the mix.

Cassel looked amazingly like Orton to me...offers very little.

Potential!? Okay, then Manuel has the " potential" to be more like McNair, Culpepper, Cam. Fans who think the Bills are giving up on EJ are fooling themselves. There is, in Greg Roman's words, " too much clay to mold". If, Taylor or Cassel gets the starting nod it will only be to let Manuel to continue to develop. It won't be long until we start calling him "Franuel"!!

Apparently EJ needs to sit on the bench for his entire rookie contract if we ever want to him to win a competition against a couple of backups.

If he loses a competition to Cassel and Taylor then what kind of talent and potential could he really have?

So for the last few posts, I would just say it's early and why it really is important to have 4 preseason games. By the end of August, I believe we'll have a god picture of our starting QB. Personally, it's a fight between Cassel as the safe bet, but he only dinked and dunked, or TT, where you can place a spy on him and with top defenses be contained so can he work from the pocket.

EJ is out in my eyes.

I reserve judgement until after week 3.

I don't know that we'll have a GOD picture of our QB, though that'd be pretty cool ! ; ) Besides, everyone knows "Kelly Is God!"

While I agree with your position on Manuel -and have from the start, if it's TT, then I think either EJ or a player of TT's ilk (fast & mobile) is better as the #2, for game planning continuity. Cassel would be relegated to the Disaster QB status.

Question for the Tyrod Taylor fans. I know you are excited by what you are seeing now, but what happens when teams "game plan" for him. Yes his scrambling is dynamic, but can he perform from the pocket? Teams figured out Vick, Flutie. Will they crack the code on Tyrod?

I know this has been answered by others, but I thought I'd get into the scheme answers based on the plays I've seen Roman draw up.

Basically the easiest way to defend a scrambling QB is to spy him, usually with an extra LB or S so that even if the QB beats the D-line pressure (how we blew up Cam) they get stopped for small gains.

One of my favorite formations Roman dreamed up is a 6 O-line, 1 TE, 2 back and 1 WR formations. The LT is swung over to the right side, where he's joined by THE RT aND swing tackle.(Glenn, CK and Henderson). The TE takes the LT spot (Clay), the WR goes wide left (Sammy) the backs on either side of the QB.(McCoy and Felton)

At base, it's drawn up as a sweep. Shady uses FOUR, count them FOUR run blockers to get around the side. If you've spied your SS or WLB you have two tackles and a FB going against a pair of LB. If you don't spy the QB to defend the run, the QB is free to run.

Are they sending the house to defend the run? You can easily turn the play in the play action fake on an audible, and suddenly Sammy is in single coverage with minimal safety support. With his speed he can turn a 5-8 yard route to a touchdown.

Of course there are ways to defend it running QBs, but Roman was able to mask Kaepernick for 2 years. He might have done it for a third, but there were injuries to the O-line and with Crabtree not on his game the only real passing threat was Davis. The Bills don't have that problem right now.

Apparently EJ needs to sit on the bench for his entire rookie contract if we ever want to him to win a competition against a couple of backups.

If he loses a competition to Cassel and Taylor then what kind of talent and potential could he really have?

What's wrong with waiting until he's ready? Can't help the situation he was put in. Aaron Rodgers sat for that amount of time until he was ready. He was just lucky enough to have had a HOF QB in front if him.

What's wrong with waiting until he's ready? Can't help the situation he was put in. Aaron Rodgers sat for that amount of time until he was ready. He was just lucky enough to have had a HOF QB in front if him.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

If he can't beat out a couple of backups in his 3rd year then he's never going to be ready. He's just not good enough.

Aaron Rodgers didn't sit until he was ready. He sat because a 1st ballot HOFer was ahead of him on the depth chart. They pushed that 1st ballot HOFer out of town because Rodgers was too good to continue sitting behind even Favre. Favre had plenty left in the tank as he has 1 of his best seasons in Minnesota. EJ is currently sitting behind Matt Cassel & Tyrod Taylor not Brett Favre. The situations are apples and oranges.

And just how they did with R. Wilson in Seattle ;)

*Unless you actually watched the game last night, and know that Tyrod was the only one out there making plays. This isn't baseball, those kind of stats don't matter. Even on EJs touchdown throw, he is probably getting reamed about his terrible footwork on that throw and how he is super lucky it was still on target. Tyrod's 3 incomplete passes were on fades. Two if not all three would have been easy catches if they were being thrown to Sammy and not camp-fodder #80

- My point is Tyrod's 3 incomplete passes were much more impressive and telling than EJs lucky TD pass.

ROTFLMAO!

Try to look from a bit more neutral perspective. Do you have any idea how incredibly silly it looks to discuss which QB's incomplete passes look more impressive?

ROTFLMAO!

Try to look from a bit more neutral perspective. Do you have any idea how incredibly silly it looks to discuss which QB's incomplete passes look more impressive?

Well, in fairness, if one guy misses by a mile and the other has his receivers catching a case of the drops it does matter. I will note that this gives some leeway to EJ but I still think Tyrod had the better day.