Tyrod Taylor to start Week 2 preseason

Beef Jerky

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Friday night showed us something different than the narrative the media and even many here have been pushing for a long time now. Our three QBs are not scrubs. Each of them showed they were superior to the Panthers' 2nd and 3rd string defenses. Tyrod shined the brightest, but Cassel and EJ held their own in their own ways. If EJ loses out, which I think he is on track to do, it doesn't mean he is a bust. He has NFL ability, and he could still start elsewhere. It just happens that he was caught in a terrible situation and now is competing with a couple of guys who benefited from great situations.

EJ always had a higher ceiling than both Cassel and Tyrod, but he isn't going to reach that ceiling in Buffalo. Timing is everything, and the timing wasn't right for him.

I am not comparing Favre and Flacco, but when talking about why Rodgers had such an advantage that EJ didn't, it is perfectly fair to include in that conversation that Tyrod had a great opportunity to develop behind a Super Bowl winning QB.

I want to keep EJ as our third QB. EJ was a project when we drafted him with high upside. We were told it would take 2-3 years. What we didn't know is that those 2 years he has had EJ did not get real NFL coaching. Poor offensive line play, poor playcalling, no veteran QB presence.

EJ is probably already a decent backup. Why cut him now when he can be young backup with upside?

Let's see what he does the next 2 games. If he struggles or plays poorly then I will be open to cutting him. But if he plays well like he did in the last game he should stay.

EJ is probably already a decent backup. Why cut him now when he can be young backup with upside?

Let's see what he does the next 2 games. If he struggles or plays poorly then I will be open to cutting him. But if he plays well like he did in the last game he should stay.

Considering how much we love our backup QBs, EJ's best chance may be to lose the QB battle in camp. :P