Tyrod Taylor to start Week 2 preseason

Beef Jerky

The question is can a team gameplan for Tyrod, Shady, Watkins, Harvin, and Clay?

that's the key to any argument made for any QB candidate.. who makes us a better offense?

I'm glad Rex has given his old assistant time to think about his defensive approach with Taylor as the starter. These guys may not gameplan to the degree they would in season, but they do attempt to test players' responses within certain situations.. and TT's skill set presents a particular situation. Petine's not gonna let his 1st team D be embarrassed by preparing them for the traditional pocket passer. he's gotta team to build, too - and he knows that Roman will be introducing more of the playbook.

If Taylor can pass this test, he's your opening day starter..

Manuel has more potential in Roman's O than Cassel, so if he continues to make plays Thursday, I'd think the best thing Rex can do for Cassel is let him go sign with the Jets asap.. Tyrod and EJ split game 3, and Simms gets to shake the dust off in game 4.

Edited by BackInDaDay

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And just how they did with R. Wilson in Seattle ;)

*Unless you actually watched the game last night, and know that Tyrod was the only one out there making plays. This isn't baseball, those kind of stats don't matter. Even on EJs touchdown throw, he is probably getting reamed about his terrible footwork on that throw and how he is super lucky it was still on target. Tyrod's 3 incomplete passes were on fades. Two if not all three would have been easy catches if they were being thrown to Sammy and not camp-fodder #80

- My point is Tyrod's 3 incomplete passes were much more impressive and telling than EJs lucky TD pass.

I have no issue with your post, I thought TT played great. As it stands right now I would name him the starter and I've been saying that since the day we signed him.

This just makes zero sense that people keep saying things like this. Cassel clearly is in the lead now, the most consistent and the most safe, as seen by his domination in the playing time with the first team and by comments by the coaching staff.

In my view, Taylor would really have to light it up for the next two weeks, and have very few negative plays, to even be considered the starter in week 1.

For Manuel, he would have to do even better than that to have a chance to start.

Cassel is in the lead, and it would take a great run by either of the other two to unseat him.

I definitely hope this happens, that Taylor or Manuel make that dramatic move, but for people to keep seeing something that is clearly not there doesn't make sense. It is clearly Cassel's job to lose, whether we like it or not.

With Rex naming TT the starter against Cleveland how are you so positive Cassel has that big of a lead? Based on yesterday I think TT got himself just about even or close to it. If he does well he could easily get the nod as the starter week 1. Cassel did exactly what you thought he would do and thats what your going to get from him. Honestly both QBs will be limited once game planning for them starts but Ive seen the game planning for a Cassel-type before with Fitz and Orton. It is brutal and they can't do anything about it. The game planning for TT is more difficult and opens up opportunities for our game breakers.

With Rex naming TT the starter against Cleveland how are you so positive Cassel has that big of a lead? Based on yesterday I think TT got himself just about even or close to it. If he does well he could easily get the nod as the starter week 1. Cassel did exactly what you thought he would do and thats what your going to get from him. Honestly both QBs will be limited once game planning for them starts but Ive seen the game planning for a Cassel-type before with Fitz and Orton. It is brutal and they can't do anything about it. The game planning for TT is more difficult and opens up opportunities for our game breakers.

That you do not know at this point. If he can't beat defenses from the pocket, he'll be easy to gameplan against.

That you do not know at this point. If he can't beat defenses from the pocket, he'll be easy to gameplan against.

Thats true and it remains to be seen but he always has the potential to be dangerous. If his throwing ability/pocket presence is even close to Cassel I think he is the right choice. With the Cassel/Fitz types the safeties play so close because they know the QB can't throw anything over 15 yards and it just crowds everything and the QBs have no way to work around it. TT, I think, will always have the chance to leave the pocket and then space will open up for the McCoy/Watkins/Harvins.

You can't make that claim since Taylor will be starting the next game. If Cassel is clearly in the lead, they'd let him start the rest of pre-season.

No, as I think that was the plan, to have Tyrod start the 2nd preseason game.

At this point, it was very clear that Cassel and Taylor are 1 and 2, so they wanted to give both a shot to start one of the two preseason games. They don't feel Manuel, at this point, is a viable staring NFL quarterback.

Taylor would have to look dramatically more comfortable in the pocket to have any chance of being the starter. And that seems unlikely with the season a month away. If not, he would end up as a one trick pony, easy to stop by most NFL teams.

No, as I think that was the plan, to have Tyrod start the 2nd preseason game.

At this point, it was very clear that Cassel and Taylor are 1 and 2, so they wanted to give both a shot to start one of the two preseason games. They don't feel Manuel, at this point, is a viable staring NFL quarterback.

Taylor would have to look dramatically more comfortable in the pocket to have any chance of being the starter. And that seems unlikely with the season a month away. If not, he would end up as a one trick pony, easy to stop by most NFL teams.

Cassel has less tricks and is also easy to stop by most NFL teams.

I think it is a fascinating situation but thank goodness it looks like we have 3 QBs that can play. It almost seems like we could start Cassel or Taylor depending upon the defense. I think EJ is too inconsistent and is a mix of the two in that he can use his legs but not nearly as electric as Taylor.

I think in today's NFL Taylor is a better fit because you need to be able to move the chains and his ability to scramble does that. The Defenses are so quick and prepared that many of the short, third-down routes are blanketed so you need a creative QB to improvise. That's my theory anyway.

However, on this team with this defense Cassel could be the veteran, game managing QB that is needed. Less reward but less risk. I thought this was a position of weakness so we will wait and see. What's nice is that if something isn't working we have other options to throw out there.

And just how they did with R. Wilson in Seattle ;)

*Unless you actually watched the game last night, and know that Tyrod was the only one out there making plays. This isn't baseball, those kind of stats don't matter. Even on EJs touchdown throw, he is probably getting reamed about his terrible footwork on that throw and how he is super lucky it was still on target. Tyrod's 3 incomplete passes were on fades. Two if not all three would have been easy catches if they were being thrown to Sammy and not camp-fodder #80

- My point is Tyrod's 3 incomplete passes were much more impressive and telling than EJs lucky TD pass.

wow

With all the new faces on offense, all abs were effective, caseload was good but looked limited, tyrd lit it up, em was let down by the dropped passes. However for a real young team against a solid defense, poise, patience and oppourtunities, the bills showed they can compete. Their numbers would have been even better if we refs that knew what they were doing, they were awful. If tyrd with first offense scores and is productive against Cleveland, who has a solid defense, he has to be the starter against Indy.

Tyrod Taylor could be the 2015 version of what Michael Vick was a dozen or so years ago. In my mind that is not a good thing. Flashy and entertaining but not really getting the most from his teammates, taking big hits and turning the ball over. Basically, being not good at throwing the ball from the pocket and running at the first sign of pressure is not a prescription to leading a team to wins against other good teams.

Or Tyrod Taylor could be like Flutie/Wilson. Outstanding agility, able to deliver accurately from any body position, and very aware of everything going on around him to the point where he never takes big hits and is able to protect the ball.

I don't think we could find out which type he is without him playing in real NFL games against elite NFL defenders.

Tyrod Taylor I believe has the inside track to win the starting job. For those who say he just ran, watch the game. There are of course designed bootlegs called for Taylor where he can throw to a place and keep running if that is not there. Taylor is playing the Kaepernick in this Roman offense.

The fact that Taylor made the correct read on the called bootlegs doesn’t make him a run first QB. I think with a defense and running game that the Bills already possess, Taylor is the best fit. He can keep the chains moving on 3rd and 4th down situations. Did you see the beautiful deep pass that should have been a TD that Goodwin dropped? Having a QB with his speed also helps the running game. Teams have to play you honest.

My only worry is getting Sammy Watkins enough passes with Taylor. Hopefully we can see their chemistry in the Thursday game.

1. I was really encouraged on one play where Tyrod escaped the pocket, kept his eyes downfield and delivered a throw for the 1st down.

2. A similar play happened later where he kept the ball (even though it looked like he had at least one guy open for the first) and he failed to make the 3rd down conversion.

He needs to execute the first scenario more consistently, like Russell Wilson does, especially on third down. He needs to rely on the amazing skill players they have, not just his legs.

Hopefully he shows more of that in game 2.

Tyrod starts preseason game 2 (known), and I think it's EJ second in that game. Then EJ starts preseason game 3, with Cassel second, because this is still a wide open competition and they have to see how all of them play with our starting OL and receivers, against opposing starting defense.

Don't think it will go down like that in week 3. I think the QB they want will start week 3, even if they tell us it is still open. Expect to see Taylor start against the Steelers in week 3 because I think he is who they want to take the gig. He can do things Cassel will never do, and EJ can do, but not as electrically. I do think EJ gets to run with the 2's on Thursday night in Cleveland, but Cassel will run with the 2's during the practice sessions on Monday and Tuesday. That's how Rex and GRo can get around letting EJ run with the 2's on Thursday. Or EJ will run with the 2's in the practice sessions and Cassel on Thursday. But they will use those two practices as another "game" I'm sure.

Tyrod Taylor I believe has the inside track to win the starting job. For those who say he just ran, watch the game. There are of course designed bootlegs called for Taylor where he can throw to a place and keep running if that is not there. Taylor is playing the Kaepernick in this Roman offense.

The fact that Taylor made the correct read on the called bootlegs doesn’t make him a run first QB. I think with a defense and running game that the Bills already possess, Taylor is the best fit. He can keep the chains moving on 3rd and 4th down situations. Did you see the beautiful deep pass that should have been a TD that Goodwin dropped? Having a QB with his speed also helps the running game. Teams have to play you honest.

My only worry is getting Sammy Watkins enough passes with Taylor. Hopefully we can see their chemistry in the Thursday game.

Taylor would look for Sammy though. Imagine those two deep passes Taylor threw last night that glanced off 88 and 80's hands being thrown to Watkins. Both of those balls are caught.

Edited by purple haze

Taylor would look for Sammy though. Imagine those two deep passes Taylor threw last night that glanced off 88 and 80's hands being thrown to Watkins. Both of those balls are caught.

That's not a guarantee.

In my opinion, those balls were close, but the velocity and angle were bad. Both receivers had a step on the DB, so I want to see a throw to the inside and I think that's what the receivers were expecting because each looked that way before trying to adjust to the outside throw.

If they didn't have a step on the DB, you make the outside throw where the receiver can shield the DB from the ball and have a chance at the sideline catch.

Haha why would you say that? Statistically he was the best QB last night

Because every media outlet around has drilled it into my head that EJ will be 3rd string or cut. So I'm going with that.

Just for reference Tyrod was credited with 6 runs in one quarter of work last night. That's on target for 24 rushes in the game. An NFL QB simply can't do that.

Six runs in a lot per game for a QB. We need to see him use the threat of the run (i.e. getting out of the pocket) to open things up in the passing game. As effective as his runs were last night that will not work in the regular season. He has to show he can keep his eyes down field and throw the ball accurately. I'm intrigued by his skill set but he has a long ways to go.

That being said I'm still on the "anyone but Cassel" bandwagon.

Just for reference Tyrod was credited with 6 runs in one quarter of work last night. That's on target for 24 rushes in the game. An NFL QB simply can't do that.

Six runs in a lot per game for a QB. We need to see him use the threat of the run (i.e. getting out of the pocket) to open things up in the passing game. As effective as his runs were last night that will not work in the regular season. He has to show he can keep his eyes down field and throw the ball accurately. I'm intrigued by his skill set but he has a long ways to go.

That being said I'm still on the "anyone but Cassel" bandwagon.

I wouldn't try to extrapolate like that. 5 quick runs out of bounds that get 10 yards each is fine. As for Tyrod getting hurt, he doesn't do stupid things and avoids contact. He also avoids being a target in the pocket so he won't take as many vicious shots there.

I agree that QB's that run get injured more but I don't think the risk is as extreme as you make it.

I wouldn't try to extrapolate like that. 5 quick runs out of bounds that get 10 yards each is fine. As for Tyrod getting hurt, he doesn't do stupid things and avoids contact. He also avoids being a target in the pocket so he won't take as many vicious shots there.

I agree that QB's that run get injured more but I don't think the risk is as extreme as you make it.

I'm not just talking about getting hurt, I'm talking about his effectiveness. Those gains will not be there that often in a regular season game where the D game plans. We've seen it time and time again that D's are able to shut these types of QBs down. In order to be continuously effective he has to use the threat of the run to his advantage by throwing the ball and not just taking off.

I think with play time he can do it, but as I said, he doesn't appear to be there now.