Tyrod Taylor to start Week 2 preseason

Beef Jerky

I'm not just talking about getting hurt, I'm talking about his effectiveness. Those gains will not be there that often in a regular season game where the D game plans. We've seen it time and time again that D's are able to shut these types of QBs down. In order to be continuously effective he has to use the threat of the run to his advantage by throwing the ball and not just taking off.

I think with play time he can do it, but as I said, he doesn't appear to be there now.

They called about three run pass options for him to see what he could do, so I doubt they would be calling 12 of those a game. Plus, he had two long drives with a bunch of plays that resulted in TDs. They just wouldn't be having him do all of that stuff all game, and if he is leading the team on 90 yard drives they wouldn't be passing all that much the whole game. I just don't think you can extrapolate it like that. He didn't take a lot of hits either.

With apologies to AD, dude is a witch.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing I liked most about TT last night was that the offense seemed to move the ball easily and quickly. While he was in there, the offense got momentum quickly and kept their foot on the gas.

It has been a really long time since we saw a Buffalo Bills offense that gained momentum quickly and kept their foot on the gas. The offense clicked with him in there. And you got this sense that a big play was coming. God I love watching my team when you have a gut feeling that they are about to make a huge play. I got that last night.

If he can lead the team like that in the next couple preseason games, then he will start week 1.

TT, please, please keep it going.

It appeared like the team really rallies behind him. I hope he does well next week against that D. Cassel did well too so I really think Tyrod needs to have a solid outing to be named starter after next week. My guess is this is what the coaches are praying for too so that they can be done with the competition and get as many reps in as possible.

Going against our d everyday in practice should have him ready to face the browns- lots of similarties. It feels like the coaching staff planned everything to put Tyrod in a spot to win this.

It really does seem like that. Tyrod makes sense for this year. A good playoff run and then make a big move to draft a first rounder next year.

tempAP_11939874371--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.j

tempCM3_1201--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

Gonna have to perform in the pocket Tyrod.

LOLd

well done 26!

The thing I liked most about TT last night was that the offense seemed to move the ball easily and quickly. While he was in there, the offense got momentum quickly and kept their foot on the gas.

It has been a really long time since we saw a Buffalo Bills offense that gained momentum quickly and kept their foot on the gas. The offense clicked with him in there. And you got this sense that a big play was coming. God I love watching my team when you have a gut feeling that they are about to make a huge play. I got that last night.

If he can lead the team like that in the next couple preseason games, then he will start week 1.

TT, please, please keep it going.

Great post Dave !

Going against our d everyday in practice should have him ready to face the browns- lots of similarties. It feels like the coaching staff planned everything to put Tyrod in a spot to win this.

I would guess against Cleveland they will ask TT to hang around in the pocket. It was great fun against Rivera But Rex going against Pettine , even in preseason might a bit more personal? and as mentioned Cleveland might have stronger defense then what the Panthers showed last night.

Let EJ go second. We dont need to see much more of that.

The guys with the chance to improve need to be on the field I even want Simms out there chucking some balls instead of handing off. Let cassel finish so we can win the thing. Rex hates losing almost as much as me

They called about three run pass options for him to see what he could do, so I doubt they would be calling 12 of those a game. Plus, he had two long drives with a bunch of plays that resulted in TDs. They just wouldn't be having him do all of that stuff all game, and if he is leading the team on 90 yard drives they wouldn't be passing all that much the whole game. I just don't think you can extrapolate it like that. He didn't take a lot of hits either.

With apologies to AD, dude is a witch.

This is the most telling argument in the thread, IMO. What do we want this year? A ball-control, clock-eating offensive machine that will have our superior defense well rested to just come out and terrorize for 3 downs.

Cassel? 2 1st downs & a punt. EJ? Nearly a couple turnovers and a few punts. Taylor? 90 yard, clock-eating drives for TDs.

If he repeats this performance Thursday, it's all over.

Demonstrating zero situational awareness with that comment. Over Joe Flacco? No way Baltimore was making a switch for anyone. especially not a guy with no NFL game experience.

"Situational awareness", really?

Yes I know he was a back up to Flacco but if he had "it" he would have been drafted higher and some other team would have traded for him a long time ago. Vick had it and his athleticism only got him so far, and TT ain't no Vick. If TT becomes an elite QB I'll come on here and apologize.

This is the most telling argument in the thread, IMO. What do we want this year? A ball-control, clock-eating offensive machine that will have our superior defense well rested to just come out and terrorize for 3 downs.

Cassel? 2 1st downs & a punt. EJ? Nearly a couple turnovers and a few punts. Taylor? 90 yard, clock-eating drives for TDs.

If he repeats this performance Thursday, it's all over.

I have become a fan of Taylor for sure. But if cannot sit in the pocket and look through some progressions , i can't agree with you.

He sure does have game though!!

If he does get the nod i think you keep EJ as the #2 just to streamline the play calling and game planning. Cassel is the polar of TT. EJ can run read option and scramble too. Not nearly as well... but

Tyrod is exciting and played well. The biggest thing for me will be seeing that he is capable of using the middle of the field throwing. An NFL first string defense will take away the outside stuff and he simply won't be able to run around like a madman. He's got to be able to make the accurate throws across the middle and down the seam.

It was very nice to see competent QB play across the board (well, except for Simms).

Simms wasn't bad, if it weren't for penalties he would have lead them to a score.

tempAP_11939874371--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.j

tempCM3_1201--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

Gonna have to perform in the pocket Tyrod.

yep

So for the last few posts, I would just say it's early and why it really is important to have 4 preseason games. By the end of August, I believe we'll have a god picture of our starting QB. Personally, it's a fight between Cassel as the safe bet, but he only dinked and dunked, or TT, where you can place a spy on him and with top defenses be contained so can he work from the pocket.

EJ is out in my eyes.

I reserve judgement until after week 3.

So for the last few posts, I would just say it's early and why it really is important to have 4 preseason games. By the end of August, I believe we'll have a god picture of our starting QB. Personally, it's a fight between Cassel as the safe bet, but he only dinked and dunked, or TT, where you can place a spy on him and with top defenses be contained so can he work from the pocket.

EJ is out in my eyes.

I reserve judgement until after week 3.

A god picture would be nice B-)

Question for the Tyrod Taylor fans. I know you are excited by what you are seeing now, but what happens when teams "game plan" for him. Yes his scrambling is dynamic, but can he perform from the pocket? Teams figured out Vick, Flutie. Will they crack the code on Tyrod?

I will take a stab at it as I guess I am a Taylor guy (he's who I am hoping for). The answer is you can't game plan for improvisation. You can keep guys in to spy and try to keep him from getting to the edge. If you do that you start leaving guys like Watkins 1-on-1 and that is a nightmare for a defense. When Cassel (for example) is in the game you don't have to do that. So, while Cassel may be the more natural thrower of the 2 (which I am not sure of) he will try to find a doubled Sammy vs. Taylor having him in man (again just an example).

Roman's motions, packages and formations will make it really difficult for teams to defend. This is where Clay is such a big addition. Tyrod will be put in a position to do what he does best.

In addition, when he breaks contain he is as dangerous as a RB. He needs to work on keeping his eyes down the field when the play breaks down but he should run a lot. It is tough to defense and a great 3rd down weapon. I believe that the most important things for the QB this year are to minimize turnovers and move the chains on 3rd down. He should be the best of the bunch on 3rd down because of his ability to make the play on his own. We have no idea if he will take care of the football or not.

P.S. How long until we can refer to the Bills as the "Taylor Gang?"

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Question for the Tyrod Taylor fans. I know you are excited by what you are seeing now, but what happens when teams "game plan" for him. Yes his scrambling is dynamic, but can he perform from the pocket? Teams figured out Vick, Flutie. Will they crack the code on Tyrod?

This is essentially the conversation we've been having since page 1. I think he throws better than many here believe, but none of us will know until he's in such a situation. However, I'm not going to discredit him for running when there were obvious running lanes or even called option plays. He has a good long ball, and I think if teams dedicate personal to containing his running game, that will open up intermediate routes as well. In a nutshell, just because he runs doesn't mean he can't throw. He's shown me enough in his practice performances (second hand, so who really knows) and last night that I think he's got real potential as a passer. I'm as excited about him in the same way I would be for a high draft pick.

Or he just gets shut down when there is a spy on him, and I could eat my words. We just don't know yet.

I agree with Kirby, but would like to add that I think if the other defense is game planning for Tyrod (and not Watkins, Clay, Shady, Harvin) then it's already a win in my book. If they want to give him time to throw instead of flushing him out then one of those players will break free, or McCoy will leak out of the backfield for a delayed dump off. With Tyrod I believe we have a highly formidable ground game. That can work into play action if we get the defense moving up. If they want to place a spy on Tyrod and play the contain game we can move to short quick slants * hooks like the Goodwin catch and run. If they move up and are still playing contain then Watkins/Harvin starts hitting them with the double moves, as Tyrod did have 2 catchable throws deep on the sidelines.

I'm leaning more toward wanting Tyrod to start, simply because I don't think that our QB really has to be above average throwing the ball, just average. And also be able to keep defenses honest with the ability to throw deep, and I think he can do that. According to the coaches, players really like the way Tyrod acts in the huddle and is a leader. With our defense even if he makes a mistake or two it won't kill us, and he is a playmaker.

I won't mind if any of the three starts, they all have strengths and weaknesses, but I was leaning toward wanting Cassel to start and now I think I want Tyrod. He showed a lot. This week, of course, will be key, but before I had a hard time imagining him as a starter, and now I could see it if not want it.

Tyrod is clearly the front runner, imo. He's a problem for defenses. He will help McCoy and co. The read option will be a real weapon for us.

Cassel is a known commodity. He can't throw deep and coordinators will stop him with ease.

EJ is horrible. He has no chance at the job.

And look what's happened to Griffin since his knee got destroyed and he had to be more confined to the pocket.