Tyrod Taylor to start Week 2 preseason

Beef Jerky

Cassel was solid but Tyrod played like a starter. EJ showed enough improvement to stick around as a #3. My take after one preseason game. But considering how in most seasons we are trying to explain away horrible performances in preseason, this was a pleasant surprise.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tyrod is exciting and played well. The biggest thing for me will be seeing that he is capable of using the middle of the field throwing. An NFL first string defense will take away the outside stuff and he simply won't be able to run around like a madman. He's got to be able to make the accurate throws across the middle and down the seam.

It was very nice to see competent QB play across the board (well, except for Simms).

Tyrod is exciting and played well. The biggest thing for me will be seeing that he is capable of using the middle of the field throwing. An NFL first string defense will take away the outside stuff and he simply won't be able to run around like a madman. He's got to be able to make the accurate throws across the middle and down the seam.

It was very nice to see competent QB play across the board (well, except for Simms).

Simms did make the throw that put us in game winning FG range, but for the hands to the face penalty.

Well we get to see Thursday how happy Tyrod's feet get when he's behind our 1st string OL. I think there will still be a lot of running around due to Pettine's blitz-happy (and run weak) defensive scheme. Either way, FWIW, it seemed to me that Roman had the most fun with playcalling when Tyrod was on the field.

TT did make some plays, moved the chains and was exciting but he needs to be able to throw the ball much better if he wants to be a starting NFL QB. Having more carries than completions against a backup defense is not a good sign imo. Good defenses will figure him out and cut down those running lanes. Plus the possibility of injury is much higher with his style. I am looking forward to see what he can do with and against the ones next week.

put two deep throws right on the finger tips of his wr's.

AKA overthrew 2 deep balls. Hopefully next week he drops those right in the bread basket.

Fully agree here. It's why he got shut down in his two minute drill.

He's going to have to prove his worth in the pocket in order to be an effective running threat. Russell Wilson is so effective because he can burn teams from the pocket as well as with his legs. Can Tyrod be something close to DangerRussWilson? Let's hope so.

He's going to have to prove his worth in the pocket in order to be an effective running threat. Russell Wilson is so effective because he can burn teams from the pocket as well as with his legs. Can Tyrod be something close to DangerRussWilson? Let's hope so.

Yes, this is indeed the key. Unfortunately, even with a start against Cleveland's first string next week I doubt we will really get an answer to this question.

I know EJ doesn't have a shot any more, but in his time on the field he showed a lot of poise in the pocket and made on point throws (except for the last one).

I'm shocked, even I'm shocked, after the Trentative/Holcomb/Brohm nightmare, after Fitz, after all the EJ slamming and 12 weeks of Orton, that people are coming down on Tyrod after having easily the best night out of all the Qbs.

Are there faults to his game? Does he run a bit too early and often? Have defenses learned how to contain running QBs? Yes.

But Tyrod is the one who kept the offense clicking. He, to me, embodied the philosophy that Rex and Roman have been embodying from day one: We run first. We run the ball down their throats. When you need to, make the big play to keep it going, but keep on grounding and pounding. I can't remember the last time we had a boring 90 yard touchdown drive, but Tyrod made it look easy. The Goodwin throw was perfect from the pocket, and well diagnosed and placed well to give the speedster room to go. He extended play with his legs and threw on the run after blitzes. He, when the defense gave him the chance, tore up the field with his legs. And if Tompkins doesn't drop that ball off his fingertips we get to shut up about his passing ability.

I think any of us would take 19 TD's/10 INT's, 14th Total QBR, 639 yards rushing with a 6.1 AVG. Luck was only one ranking higher in total QBR and Kaep was higher rated than Newton. If we get anywhere near that production we will certainly make the playoffs. This notion of teams "figuring out" Taylor is not based on Romans offense which has a ton of wiggle room for a mobile QB based on a scheme that isn't afraid to fully utilize the QB or the RB in the natural run game.

If you read a Taylor quote from after the game he says, "we had some run/pass option plays and I saw some lanes open so I took them". I think people are seeing his runs tonight as improvisation. Perhaps to some extent that is true, but most of it isn't. Most quarterbacks don't have "run/pass" option plays outside of college. Baltimore didn't have a single play in it's entire playbook that fit Taylor's style. Roman has an entire system meant for it. I like him to win the competition. As for injury concerns, the guy is very difficult to square up and seems to have a natural feel for pending contact. You can tell he gets very small and low to the ground when contact is looming. I don't think it will be an issue for him.

Exactly. I don't believe Russel WIlson has ever been better than 12th in QB rating. You take what the defense gives you. If they start spying you in the pocket that means there's one less S or LB in pass coverage and they bite *hard* on the bootleg pass.

i have to wait to watch him play - specifically, how he looked throwing the ball - but i get the impression that #1 may be Tyrod's job to lose.

Taylor is the only QB in the competition that will 'steal' a defender away from coverage or pressure when our line jacks up into pass-protect mode. This will weaken a defense already spread thin by the threat of Roman's initial formations and subsequent motions.

for instance.. did we run any bootlegs, and passes off bootlegs with TT in there? were we running receivers or h-backs thru the backfield? just curious if Roman tried any such misdirection with the 2nd team. i'll guarantee he'll be tweeking such plays with TT, Harvin and Clay against the Browns.

we'll see how EJ fairs with the 2nd team in this game - i'd be very surprised if he didn't get time with them, because in the same vein as Taylor, Manual gives Roman more than Cassel.

into predictions much?

Taylor will be our #1; Manuel our #2; Simms our #3; and we get a pick for Cassel - who'll be backing up Fitzpatrick on the Jets.

I'm shocked, even I'm shocked, after the Trentative/Holcomb/Brohm nightmare, after Fitz, after all the EJ slamming and 12 weeks of Orton, that people are coming down on Tyrod after having easily the best night out of all the Qbs.

Are there faults to his game? Does he run a bit too early and often? Have defenses learned how to contain running QBs? Yes.

But Tyrod is the one who kept the offense clicking. He, to me, embodied the philosophy that Rex and Roman have been embodying from day one: We run first. We run the ball down their throats. When you need to, make the big play to keep it going, but keep on grounding and pounding. I can't remember the last time we had a boring 90 yard touchdown drive, but Tyrod made it look easy. The Goodwin throw was perfect from the pocket, and well diagnosed and placed well to give the speedster room to go. He extended play with his legs and threw on the run after blitzes. He, when the defense gave him the chance, tore up the field with his legs. And if Tompkins doesn't drop that ball off his fingertips we get to shut up about his passing ability.

Exactly. I don't believe Russel WIlson has ever been better than 12th in QB rating. You take what the defense gives you. If they start spying you in the pocket that means there's one less S or LB in pass coverage and they bite *hard* on the bootleg pass.

yep.. i didn't see this until i just posted my thoughts on what Roman's building.. and how TT fits.

The question is can a team gameplan for Tyrod, Shady, Watkins, Harvin, and Clay?

while I'm taking last night with a grain of salt because athletic QBs often look better in PS than reg season when game planning sets in, I have had that thought as well. The 1st string OL, all the stud playmakers on offense out there, and our own game planning.... Could be interesting

Yes and yes!

I pray

Can Tyrod make the simple throws that Cassel does? if he can, there's your starter. If he can't, he's just a gadget? Sooooo, can he?

Probably not. But I don't understand the logic. Unless people think Cassel can light up the middle of field in the 15-20 yard zone, which is probably TT's biggest weakness, which is probably all QB's biggest weakness, what are we even talking about? Both can make plays in the deep passing game, both can make plays in the short passing game. Only TT opens up the entire playbook. Only TT forces players out of coverage or rushing and into Spy's. If people want to start Cassel based on a marginally better short passing game and give up on all the additional elements TT brings to this offense I don't see it being more productive for us.