Tyrod Taylor to start Week 2 preseason

Beef Jerky

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He lead some scoring drives, kept the plays alive. I bet Roman will have fun with that, McCoy will love it b.c it forces defenses to be all jittery.

Until defenses shut that crap down and make him beat them from the pocket like they did with Kaep in SF.

Is EJ #2 and Cassel with the 3's?

TBD

Until defenses shut that crap down and make him beat them from the pocket like they did with Kaep in SF.

I think any of us would take 19 TD's/10 INT's, 14th Total QBR, 639 yards rushing with a 6.1 AVG. Luck was only one ranking higher in total QBR and Kaep was higher rated than Newton. If we get anywhere near that production we will certainly make the playoffs. This notion of teams "figuring out" Taylor is not based on Romans offense which has a ton of wiggle room for a mobile QB based on a scheme that isn't afraid to fully utilize the QB or the RB in the natural run game.

I think any of us would take 19 TD's/10 INT's, 14th Total QBR, 639 yards rushing with a 6.1 AVG. Luck was only one ranking higher in total QBR and Kaep was higher rated than Newton. If we get anywhere near that production we will certainly make the playoffs. This notion of teams "figuring out" Taylor is not based on Romans offense which has a ton of wiggle room for a mobile QB based on a scheme that isn't afraid to fully utilize the QB or the RB in the natural run game.

Please don't give me that ESPN Total QBR nonsense.

Please don't give me that ESPN Total QBR nonsense.

Take the total amount of plays for every QB in the NFL, add the running yards and the passing yards together and divide. When your done come back and tell me how Kaep ranked last year. I suppose your going to call yards per attempt, the highest correlated statistic to points scored in the NFL crap as well.

Edited by KzooMike

In regards to yards per attempt averages in this game... (Passing yards+Rushing Yards+Sack Yards/Passing Attempts+Rushing Attempts+Sacks)

Manuel 7.09 on 11 attempts

Taylor 6.86 on 14 attempts

Cassell 5.63 on 8 attempts

Simms 3.00 on 5 attempts

Realistically, Manuel did play the best. It's just very hard for people to see that. One could say well he had a 51 yard pass going into that data. But it was a perfectly thrown ball and he's probably the only guy on the roster that can make that throw. Factor in the drops and he should have been north of 9.0 YPA. Manuel played better then people are giving him credit. Another consideration, more attempts, more stabilization in data. So Taylor gets a bump in that regard as likely having the most stabilized stat line of the 4 in this particular sample. I like what my eyes saw out of Cassell but I don't like this line. He won't improve it with his legs. I don't see him besting EJ in the long passing game. His best area for growth over EJ and Taylor seems to be in the 10-20 yard passing window but Roman throws passes in that box at one of the lowest clips in the NFL. Plus if you go with Cassell you lose all running ability from the QB spot. I don't like that limitation and I don't think Roman does either.

Edited by KzooMike

If you read a Taylor quote from after the game he says, "we had some run/pass option plays and I saw some lanes open so I took them". I think people are seeing his runs tonight as improvisation. Perhaps to some extent that is true, but most of it isn't. Most quarterbacks don't have "run/pass" option plays outside of college. Baltimore didn't have a single play in it's entire playbook that fit Taylor's style. Roman has an entire system meant for it. I like him to win the competition. As for injury concerns, the guy is very difficult to square up and seems to have a natural feel for pending contact. You can tell he gets very small and low to the ground when contact is looming. I don't think it will be an issue for him.

He definitely moved the chains, But I'm concerned about him running too quickly. Teams will start to figure him out and adjust and he will get injured.

Tyrod was magical tonight. There is no doubt he has "it".

Imo

let's not get carried away here, if he had IT he would have been a starter awhile ago.

He definitely moved the chains, But I'm concerned about him running too quickly. Teams will start to figure him out and adjust and he will get injured.

let's not get carried away here, if he had IT he would have been a starter awhile ago.

Demonstrating zero situational awareness with that comment. Over Joe Flacco? No way Baltimore was making a switch for anyone. especially not a guy with no NFL game experience. As for the first part of your comment, moving the chains is all that matters. There is no figuring out a QB with that much speed and moves. All the counters to a highly mobile QB come with serious risks elsewhere, which the Bills have the talent to exploit.

If you read a Taylor quote from after the game he says, "we had some run/pass option plays and I saw some lanes open so I took them". I think people are seeing his runs tonight as improvisation. Perhaps to some extent that is true, but most of it isn't. Most quarterbacks don't have "run/pass" option plays outside of college. Baltimore didn't have a single play in it's entire playbook that fit Taylor's style. Roman has an entire system meant for it. I like him to win the competition. As for injury concerns, the guy is very difficult to square up and seems to have a natural feel for pending contact. You can tell he gets very small and low to the ground when contact is looming. I don't think it will be an issue for him.

Bingo. He was running with permission last night. I hope we see less of that in Week Two so we can get a better look at this passing attack.