EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

Saw good things from all 3.

The only alarming thing about Cassel is that the ball seems to travel in the air for a LONG time before reaching the target.

I Think if Taylor can throw the ball accurately at all he should be the starter; he just has the ability to make things happen that the other 2 don't.

Very happy with EJ's performance. Looked calm and accurate. He needs to play like that for two more games to stay in the mix, but it's a start.

i couldn't agrmore about the lack of arm strength. His first throw took forever and it was a five to eight yard dig. WTH

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tempDSC_0240--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

tempDSC_0242--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

tempDSC_0245--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

The throw was great, but before that EJ eluded the rush and climbed the pocket with his eyes downfield. An all around impressive play that showed a lot of what you'd like to see in an NFL QB.

tempDSC_0228--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

tempCM8_5585--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

My concern is the nature of EJ's mistakes. I've seen this kind of thing with other athletes at all levels – in an effort to make a play, the body just reacts and the brains, along with all the fundamentals, get temporarily left behind. I'm not sure there's much you can do about that.

My concern is the nature of EJ's mistakes. I've seen this kind of thing with other athletes at all levels – in an effort to make a play, the body just reacts and the brains, along with all the fundamentals, get temporarily left behind. I'm not sure there's much you can do about that.

His "mistakes" from last night ? gray, oleary, mulligan, and gragg ?

He will clean it up when you add some Clay.

My concern is the nature of EJ's mistakes. I've seen this kind of thing with other athletes at all levels in an effort to make a play, the body just reacts and the brains, along with all the fundamentals, get temporarily left behind. I'm not sure there's much you can do about that.

Save for the one under throw, what were EJ's mistakes? The 2 botched snaps by the center? The 3 dropped balls? Please tell me what I missed.

Save for the one under throw, what were EJ's mistakes? The 2 botched snaps by the center? The 3 dropped balls? Please tell me what I missed.

IMO, EJ had, by far, the best QB performance of the night. Now, keep in mind it was with the 3's, but that cuts both ways. Multiple reads, good movement in the pocket and great throws. One bad toss doesn't take anything away from that. Every QB makes some bad throws.

Taylor was terrific, too. Didn't get to his 2nd and 3rd reads enough, IMO. But his passing looked pretty good, and he makes things happen with his feet.But I'll be nervous if he chooses to run that often. I think his decision making needs to be a bit better---and I'm guessing it will get better, or he won't last through the season.

Cassel did what he needed to do, I think, to stay in the mix. Very conservative and controlled. Passes were mostly fine. I HATED that they didn't let him take a shot into the end zone before trying the missed FG. A nice TD toss, or even attempt, would have gone a long way for him, I think,

IMO, EJ had, by far, the best QB performance of the night. Now, keep in mind it was with the 3's, but that cuts both ways. Multiple reads, good movement in the pocket and great throws. One bad toss doesn't take anything away from that. Every QB makes some bad throws.

Taylor was terrific, too. Didn't get to his 2nd and 3rd reads enough, IMO. But his passing looked pretty good, and he makes things happen with his feet.But I'll be nervous if he chooses to run that often. I think his decision making needs to be a bit better---and I'm guessing it will get better, or he won't last through the season.

Cassel did what he needed to do, I think, to stay in the mix. Very conservative and controlled. Passes were mostly fine. I HATED that they didn't let him take a shot into the end zone before trying the missed FG. A nice TD toss, or even attempt, would have gone a long way for him, I think,

Avoiding a loss by taking the sack, even if the pass was errant, is still a good play. A great play would have been completing the pass.

7 on target throws with one bad. Made good decisions and good reads. Showed good mobility. What didn't look good besides the one very bad throw?

He watched the bad throw over and over until what he saw lined up with what he wanted to see.

I think that aside from saying Taylor and Manuel played well its hard to judge their performances especially against each other when they were with the 2s and 3s. Obviously we saw the drops with the 3s but I think some of those deep balls Taylor put out there would have been caught by Woods or Watkins. I wonder how much that would change peoples impression that he's running too much and not a pocket QB who defenses are gonna stack.

So there were 3 passes all night that hit the ground that weren't drops. Receivers were basically quite wide open after the second quarter. There was little if any pressure to force a ball into tight coverage or make quick decisions all night, for any of them. You didn't learn too much from that game, except that none of the three qb's disqualified themselves due to this game.

If we're going to give EJ the drops he had, you need to give them to Taylor as well. So 6 of 8 and with at least one TD. And much more dynamic and threatening. I don't know how anyone could watch that game and not think that Taylor had the best performance. It wasn't even close. Moved the offense, dictated the game and made the right decisions. And no, disqualifying his performance based on it being second teams while not doing the same for EJ vs. third and fourth string is not reasonable. There's a massive dropoff between second teams (guys who will play NFL football for the most part) and the third and fourth team scrubs, most of whom will be looking for work next month. He may be able to do it against better competition, but it's reasonable to want to see it happen when he has to make quicker decisions and faces regular pressure (and the same goes for the other 2 as well). Jeff Tuel looked fantastic in early preseason games against scrubs as well.

Wow. Unbiased actual info regarding EJ ? I think you're in the wrong neighborhood bud.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he also completed the pass. But some credit needs to be given for avoiding the sack.

I don't know how anyone could watch that game and not think that Taylor had the best performance.

TT had a great game but the concern is that he's the King of Preseason--his style of play (one-read-then-run) is effective against teams that don't install a game plan to contain it. How effective would it be if teams schemed for it, which appears to be what's happening with Kap in SF?

The encouraging thing was the deep ball he threw in the corner of the end zone that Goodwin dropped. That would-be TD would have really set the QB competition on fire. Thursday with the ones will be hugh if he can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball...

So there were 3 passes all night that hit the ground that weren't drops. Receivers were basically quite wide open after the second quarter. There was little if any pressure to force a ball into tight coverage or make quick decisions all night, for any of them. You didn't learn too much from that game, except that none of the three qb's disqualified themselves due to this game.

If we're going to give EJ the drops he had, you need to give them to Taylor as well. So 6 of 8 and with at least one TD. And much more dynamic and threatening. I don't know how anyone could watch that game and not think that Taylor had the best performance. It wasn't even close. Moved the offense, dictated the game and made the right decisions. And no, disqualifying his performance based on it being second teams while not doing the same for EJ vs. third and fourth string is not reasonable. There's a massive dropoff between second teams (guys who will play NFL football for the most part) and the third and fourth team scrubs, most of whom will be looking for work next month. He may be able to do it against better competition, but it's reasonable to want to see it happen when he has to make quicker decisions and faces regular pressure (and the same goes for the other 2 as well). Jeff Tuel looked fantastic in early preseason games against scrubs as well.

UsingTuel to disparage EJ is ridiculous. Tuel never looked good and it just shows what an idiot Marrone is.

Agree 100%... B-)

TT had a great game but the concern is that he's the King of Preseason--his style of play (one-read-then-run) is effective against teams that don't install a game plan to contain it. How effective would it be if teams schemed for it, which appears to be what's happening with Kap in SF?

The encouraging thing was the deep ball he threw in the corner of the end zone that Goodwin dropped. That would-be TD would have really set the QB competition on fire. Thursday with the ones will be hugh if he can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball...

The thing about your first paragraph is if teams commit their defense to stopping TT running, we will have Watkins, Harvin, Clay, woods with single coverage and we should be able to destroy defenses with just average passing. That's the beauty of this roster.

When defenses begin to gameplan against Tyrod, he'll have to be able to do this. The runaround preseason style isn't sustainable when the lights come on in earnest.

Saw good things from all 3.

The only alarming thing about Cassel is that the ball seems to travel in the air for a LONG time before reaching the target.

I Think if Taylor can throw the ball accurately at all he should be the starter; he just has the ability to make things happen that the other 2 don't.

Very happy with EJ's performance. Looked calm and accurate. He needs to play like that for two more games to stay in the mix, but it's a start.

I agree Bandit. C's throws seem like Pennington's. I'd like to see him get rid of it quicker & with more zip. However, he is what he is - an average QB.

Taylor seems to have a knack for moving the sticks, whether it is through the air or with his legs. If we continuously move the sticks, we will continuously score 3's & 7's.

Ej looked good - period. We can nitpick each & every move & throw, but in general he looked like an NFL QB.

The thing about your first paragraph is if teams commit their defense to stopping TT running, we will have Watkins, Harvin, Clay, woods with single coverage and we should be able to destroy defenses with just average passing. That's the beauty of this roster.

Indeed. As long as TT can find the open receiver, if it isn't his first option. Even with an effort to stop the run, some receivers will be covered. I want TT to show he can look to 2nd and 3rd options, and deliver to them. So far, I liked what I saw. But need to see more, and need to see what he can do if running isn't an option.

That's the gameplan, but the proof will be in the pudding. They've got to get some chemistry going with the ones, which I think has to happen next week and in the third preseason game.

Shady's gonna need more reps running behind the OL as well. He was stringing things out a bit too much last night, IMO, which was the knock on him last year in Philly...

Indeed. As long as TT can find the open receiver, if it isn't his first option. Even with an effort to stop the run, some receivers will be covered. I want TT to show he can look to 2nd and 3rd options, and deliver to them. So far, I liked what I saw. But need to see more, and need to see what he can do if running isn't an option.

This is the crux of the matter with Tyrod. It's premature to anoint him at this juncture. This ain't College Football.

Wonder if coaches will try to tell him "no scrambling for this series, the goal is to find WRs" for a couple series to work on that. You don't want him to never run, but you also need him to be multi dimensional, so that if a D keys in on him running, he can burn them by finding open WRs.

It's kinda funny... Scrimmage and the first pre-season game, EJ largely looked the best. But practice reports? He's the worst player ever, and shouldn't be allowed on the football field.

So all those fumbled snaps that he had makes the reports seem silly after watching kupper or whatever his name is throw the ball at ejs face and almost over him.

Wonder if coaches will try to tell him "no scrambling for this series, the goal is to find WRs" for a couple series to work on that. You don't want him to never run, but you also need him to be multi dimensional, so that if a D keys in on him running, he can burn them by finding open WRs.

That would be interesting.

EJ ya 3 drops but the feel i had was same deal..Cassel has a good feel confidence to him, point guard. Taylor is faster than i thought but its the typical guy 3rd and long thinks he can run for it most times cant.

I'm leaning Cassel

The 3rd down Tyrod ran for and missed he had his eyes downfield and a WR tried to cut for the sideline and fell, FWIW. Whether Tyrod would've thrown (and completed) it is all hypothetical, but the fall didn't help.

That's the gameplan, but the proof will be in the pudding. They've got to get some chemistry going with the ones, which I think has to happen next week and in the third preseason game.

Shady's gonna need more reps running behind the OL as well. He was stringing things out a bit too much last night, IMO, which was the knock on him last year in Philly...

Agreed. We will have to see. I can't wait to watch this team though. Roman over Saint Doug running the offense, along with the much better OL, and Shady, Harvin, and Clay and Felton has me really excited. Except for one run, I thought Shady looked great. He's so fast. Just average QBing and we should be dangerous.

Agreed. We will have to see. I can't wait to watch this team though. Roman over Saint Doug running the offense, along with the much better OL, and Shady, Harvin, and Clay and Felton has me really excited. Except for one run, I thought Shady looked great. He's so fast. Just average QBing and we should be dangerous.

Shady was not good yesterday. He missed out on opportunities for bigger gains last night by picking wrong holes.

Cassel looked fine. Tyrod looked better. EJ did not look that good to me but hit some throws including a great deep ball TD.

No reason we shouldn't go into the season with all 3. I'm came away from this game more positive about all three of our qbs.

Funny that but as I am watching a replay .... Jim Kelly disagrees with you WRT EJ looking bad with the 3's.

that deep pass was on the money. In the coin slot per Tasker

given who they played against (1's, 2's & 3's) all 3 QB's did well.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Cassel made a lot of completions, but ultimately didn't score. He just doesn't seem to have that "IT" factor. Taylor had all kinds of "IT" with big plays from both his arm and his legs. Manual had a rough start but came back pretty strong. I'd like to see more of EJ to be honest. Something seems off that I can't quite put my finger on. He has huge big play potential but the inconsistency. He puts some mustard on his passes, more so than the other QBs and inevitably, receivers are dropping those live balls. It seems to be a little of both receivers and EJ to me.

I'd also like to see more from Taylor. After following Cassel, the Panther's defense really got an entirely different look. Entirely different style and even though I like what Taylor did, I also wonder if his style isn't something a defense will eventually find an answer for.

Cassel makes very few mistakes and I like that. I'd like to see him make an occasional big play though.

Overall, considering this is the very 1st preseason game, I'm pretty optimistic about where the QBs are going. There was good and bad but clearly, the offense is capable of putting points on the board. If I had to pick a QB today, it would be Taylor, but I am not 100% certain he is the best choice yet. If I had to pick a loser between EJ, Taylor and Cassel it would be Cassel, but again I am not 100% on that either.

I feel much better about our options at QB, all three did well and did what they do:

Cassel = Manage the game, no chances, no long throws;

Taylor = happy feet, ran all over, Mr. Excitement, a few good throws;

EJ = Looked like he was playing with the 3rd string, all but the one throw was on target, & the long TD.

The bad news, I do not see anything settled, and the battle continues

EJ had a lot more than that 1 play on target. There were a few drops. I would have to go back and look. I don't think I saw any that were off the mark, but he was firing some bullets that seemed to catch the receivers off guard.

Edited by Rockinon