EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

So it's like EJ only he can at least run with the ball.

I don't think progressions are EJs problem I think his big issues remain accuracy and command of the huddle. And just to be clear I don't have a horse in this race. I want the best Quarterback to emerge and start. I was pleased last night that all 3 showed good things.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people want to claim that EJ is not being treated fairly.

Why is that? Why are so many fans so resistant to him being the guy?

It's easy: because we've seen him fail and look pitiful for two seasons now. One nice deep pass doesn't change that.

You're right, he's never looked good and I can't believe he's ever completed a pass in the NFL. He's been terrible in every single game. He's the worst I've ever seen. I can't believe the Bills actually won games with him as the QB.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You're right, he's never looked good and I can't believe he's ever completed a pass in the NFL. He's been terrible in every single game. He's the worst I've ever seen.

lol

Yup, the people who just don't buy into EJ are totally nuts and completely irrational.

I mean, it's obvious that the guy is a top-notch talent at the QB position!

Edited by TheFunPolice

That's the gameplan, but the proof will be in the pudding. They've got to get some chemistry going with the ones, which I think has to happen next week and in the third preseason game.

Shady's gonna need more reps running behind the OL as well. He was stringing things out a bit too much last night, IMO, which was the knock on him last year in Philly...

He had some good plays up the gut too. I actually liked the way the running game was mixed up. Some plays to the left, right and center. Some screens too. There was a lot to like about the run game. Didn't really pay a lot of attention to pre-snap movement. Saw some good OL play. There is clearly a better coach calling the plays.

lmfao. EJ looked by far the best last night? Glad people on this board have NO say! The bar is so low for that guy with some of you. Amazing.

And the bar is set so high for others that even though he did look good last night (except for the one pass) he is irrelevant and should be cut/traded.

So many people want to claim that EJ is not being treated fairly.

Why is that? Why are so many fans so resistant to him being the guy?

It's easy: because we've seen him fail and look pitiful for two seasons now. One nice deep pass doesn't change that.

I've seen him play decently in 8 of his 14 starts. Not bad at the start of an NFL career. I saw his coach bail on him after back to back pitiful games one in which his WRs dropped 5, his o-line let him get pressured on ~50% of his dropbacks, and his coaches called 2X more passes than runs. I saw his replacement have a few decent games but otherwise look ineffective, something like 4 out of 12. That's what I've seen.

The man is working to make himself a better QB. I hope he succeeds soon enough to make it obvious so the Bills can benefit at some point.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I've seen him play decently in 8 of his 14 starts. Not bad at the start of an NFL career. I saw his coach bail on him after back to back pitiful games one in which his WRs dropped 5, his o-line let him get pressured on ~50% of his dropbacks, and his coaches called 2X more passes than runs. I saw his replacement have a few decent games but otherwise look ineffective, something like 4 out of 12. That's what I've seen.

The man is working to make himself a better QB. I hope he succeeds soon enough to make it obvious so the Bills can benefit at some point.

don't forget his WR had a near mutiny against him also

This is the crux of the matter with Tyrod. It's premature to anoint him at this juncture. This ain't College Football.

Exactly...And as exciting as he is why do I get the feeling he can't last a full season doing what he did last night...I just feel like he's going to get killed eventually... B-)

You're right, he's never looked good and I can't believe he's ever completed a pass in the NFL. He's been terrible in every single game. He's the worst I've ever seen. I can't believe the Bills actually won games with him as the QB.

That's it, i'm glad you are starting to see it also. Lol!

It was obvious that Taylor looked the best in this game IMHO. That doesn't necessarily mean he is the clear winner over all. I am good with the competition being undecided. Next game, Taylor will play with the ones against the ones. The following game, maybe we'll see EJ with the ones. There is not a clear winner yet. Taylor did well, but he now needs to follow that with another strong performance. If he does, he could very well separate himself as a clear winner. We'll see. I'm still rooting for EJ. I'd like to see him bounce back. Even Cassel. I'd prefer going in with two young guys out performing the "wily veteran" though. I want a long term answer at QB. Still work to be done, but he might actually be on the current roster. Give him some reps and see where it goes.

Agreed...And furthermore look at the team results when the Bills actually ran the ball well in EJ's 14 starts...Which was not often...But when they did he was 4-1 with the only loss coming in that fumblefest vs Atlanta in Toronto...

This is actually the point of EJ's career when the scouts that liked him felt he would start showing his worth...It just kills me that some folks (especially in the media) have written him off after two years of less-than-NFL-offensive-coaching...To me he looks like he is getting better, especially in the pocket...No way would I give up on that kid yet...Even if he does not start the season as the #1 QB... B-)

They really ought to keep 3 QBs. I know it's not their preference but sometimes you need to be flexible as things develop. It will mean cutting someone else they don't want to lose (Gray/O'Leary, Butler, Randall Johnson, etc.) but I think they need to let the QB competition shake out a bit longer, including perhaps into September.

EJ is such a lightning rod! I was encouraged because he looked capable. They all looked good which is great. EJ just seems to have bad things happen creating inconsistency. Sometimes it is his fault dropping snaps and misfiring on a throw he can make and sometimes they decide to drop balls on him, etc. Some QBs improve quickly but I think he is one of those guys where you just have to be really patient. To me he looks like he's getting better - just painfully slow. I wouldn't count on him yet if I was Rex but I wouldn't give up on him either.

don't forget his WR had a near mutiny against him also

I wonder about this. Sammy had 3 of those drops against Houston. After one of them, I remember Sammy lobbyihg for the ball to have been a foot higher. EJ is getting killed back there and trying to get rid of the ball before the hits come and his receivers are acting like they are the ones having to make plays in difficult circumstances. I hope they felt differently when they saw the game tape.

Eighteen hits, 2 sacks. That's 18 near sacks (they have to within a step to make the hit legal) but ony 2 sacks. That's 18 balls delivered 1) with a poor view of the field and/or 2) before the normal timing of the play would dictate. I do not know of QBs that have had good games in similar circumstances.

Agreed...And furthermore look at the team results when the Bills actually ran the ball well in EJ's 14 starts...Which was not often...But when they did he was 4-1 with the only loss coming in that fumblefest vs Atlanta in Toronto...

This is actually the point of EJ's career when the scouts that liked him felt he would start showing his worth...It just kills me that some folks (especially in the media) have written him off after two years of less-than-NFL-offensive-coaching...To me he looks like he is getting better, especially in the pocket...No way would I give up on that kid yet...Even if he does not start the season as the #1 QB... B-)

What the coaches need to see from EJ is day to day consistency in practices and have that carry over into games.. He has to back up his performance from last night so that the coaches know what they are getting. He has what it takes, but needs to put it all together.

It was good to see our QBs play well.

But let me ask... Which QB is the best at intermediate to long passes?

The old adage "You have to run the ball to open up the pass" has been turned upside down in recent years. Now you have to pass to open up the run. The better a team is throwing the ball downfield, the less guys the defense can put in the box.

Tyrod is more exciting with his legs than his arm. This brings more players into the box.

MC is better at short passes than long. This doesn't push anyone out of the box.

Could it be that EJ offers the best complement to Roman's run game?

I'm just thinking outloud.

It was good to see our QBs play well.

But let me ask... Which QB is the best at intermediate to long passes?

The old adage "You have to run the ball to open up the pass" has been turned upside down in recent years. Now you have to pass to open up the run. The better a team is throwing the ball downfield, the less guys the defense can put in the box.

Tyrod is more exciting with his legs than his arm. This brings more players into the box.

MC is better at short passes than long. This doesn't push anyone out of the box.

Could it be that EJ offers the best complement to Roman's run game?

I'm just thinking outloud.

It would be nice to see EJ operate with a real offensive line and a running game to complement play action passing that he does pretty well.

Shady was not good yesterday. He missed out on opportunities for bigger gains last night by picking wrong holes.

I don't know about that. I just watched the first half again. I think there was only one of those. There were three times when he made guys miss that should have got him including three on one pass play. Twice I thought he had no chance right at the line. I was mostly talking about his quickness and being elusive though