EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

It was good to see our QBs play well.

But let me ask... Which QB is the best at intermediate to long passes?

The old adage "You have to run the ball to open up the pass" has been turned upside down in recent years. Now you have to pass to open up the run. The better a team is throwing the ball downfield, the less guys the defense can put in the box.

Tyrod is more exciting with his legs than his arm. This brings more players into the box.

MC is better at short passes than long. This doesn't push anyone out of the box.

Could it be that EJ offers the best complement to Roman's run game?

I'm just thinking outloud.

It would be nice to see EJ operate with a real offensive line and a running game to complement play action passing that he does pretty well.

I really hope Rex and Roman are having these thoughts.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was good to see our QBs play well.

But let me ask... Which QB is the best at intermediate to long passes?

The old adage "You have to run the ball to open up the pass" has been turned upside down in recent years. Now you have to pass to open up the run. The better a team is throwing the ball downfield, the less guys the defense can put in the box.

Tyrod is more exciting with his legs than his arm. This brings more players into the box.

MC is better at short passes than long. This doesn't push anyone out of the box.

Could it be that EJ offers the best complement to Roman's run game?

I'm just thinking outloud.

I don't think there is any question that EJ has the most potential as a true pocket passer...But potential is just a word that starts with p until it becomes actual consistent production...But on that note I was SO impressed by EJ's arm last night...Goodness he can chuck it...That sideline pass to Goodwin, which looked catch-able live, was a bullet...And of course the TD throw shows what he can do...He's got elite arm potential...

EJ just has to put it all together and get a little help from his receivers...He needs to work hard on throwing the ball on the run as well...Making plays like the one he bounced after that amazing escape would catapult him into another level of NFL QB... B-)

I don't know about that. I just watched the first half again. I think there was only one of those. There were three times when he made guys miss that should have got him including three on one pass play. Twice I thought he had no chance right at the line. I was mostly talking about his quickness and being elusive though

@ChrisBrownBills

McCoy hard on his debut performance http://wp.me/plmrg-by5

I don't think there is any question that EJ has the most potential as a true pocket passer...But potential is just a word that starts with p until it becomes actual consistent production...But on that note I was SO impressed by EJ's arm last night...Goodness he can chuck it...That sideline pass to Goodwin, which looked catch-able live, was a bullet...And of course the TD throw shows what he can do...He's got elite arm potential...

EJ just has to put it all together and get a little help from his receivers...He needs to work hard on throwing the ball on the run as well...Making plays like the one he bounced after that amazing escape would catapult him into another level of NFL QB... B-)

He makes that play going to his right. Woods in endzone vs. Ravens, Chandler vs. Chargers and Williams vs. Texans. To his left, its the pick vs. the Bears and that throw last night.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

I've seen him play decently in 8 of his 14 starts. Not bad at the start of an NFL career. I saw his coach bail on him after back to back pitiful games one in which his WRs dropped 5, his o-line let him get pressured on ~50% of his dropbacks, and his coaches called 2X more passes than runs. I saw his replacement have a few decent games but otherwise look ineffective, something like 4 out of 12. That's what I've seen.

The man is working to make himself a better QB. I hope he succeeds soon enough to make it obvious so the Bills can benefit at some point.

What's funny to is that EJ has already beaten Rex Ryan team and it wasn't last year where his secondary was a dumpfire

Cassel looked fine. Tyrod looked better. EJ did not look that good to me but hit some throws including a great deep ball TD.

No reason we shouldn't go into the season with all 3. I'm came away from this game more positive about all three of our qbs.

Perfect assessment. EJ looked better than he has before. The pass to oleary seems to negate what he did. I could live with all 3 guys as my starter based on the first game

7 on target throws with one bad. Made good decisions and good reads. Showed good mobility. What didn't look good besides the one very bad throw?

You are not new to this board. You know everything gets negated by the play your last sentence describes. Glass is half empty around here way too much. First game and people want to jump off a cliff

I want ej out as much as the next irrational fan, but I have to be honest, I genuinely felt bad for him tonight. Like I took a step back and thought we really haven't helped this guy progress in a healthy way.

Seems pretty rational to me.

To me , it's all about the Red Zone. None of these guys is going to excel at long drives, or throwing deep. If the defense is anything like it was last year, there will be lots of short fields for the offense to work with.

I much prefer Tyrod and EJM.

Watching Cassel eating up the clock, getting 3 field goals out of 12 possesions, and them losing 10-9 is my worst nightmare.

He makes that play going to his right. Woods in endzone vs. Ravens, Chandler vs. Chargers and Williams vs. Texans. To his left, its the pick vs. the Bears and that throw last night.

Agreed. EJ has no business rolling to his left and attempting to pass. Ever. If I'm his coach, I tell him he either runs or sits the bench when rolling to his left.

GO BILLS!!!

The thing I found interesting out of camp was that reports on Tyrod was he was getting better every day........

I reallly thing the situation with him bears watching....if he comes out against the browns and does well......well we all know Rex loves him

Roman should be the one making the QB call with input from Rex. Rex should primarily stick to what he knows best.

To me , it's all about the Red Zone. None of these guys is going to excel at long drives, or throwing deep. If the defense is anything like it was last year, there will be lots of short fields for the offense to work with.

I much prefer Tyrod and EJM.

Watching Cassel eating up the clock, getting 3 field goals out of 12 possesions, and them losing 10-9 is my worst nightmare.

That reminds me of a game I went to awhile back. Can't remember if it was Losman or Edwards but the offense was awful. Parrish took a kickoff all the way down to within the 10 and I said to my brother "they might as well just send the kicking team out". Sure enough, they ended up with 3 points.

Kolb was never going to start over EJ.

EJ has had more than half of his career to sit and learn...

Even with 2 years experience. Thats not true. He started 14 of 32 possible ref season games. Who was teach in him the first year? Thad Lewis? Oh Jeff Tuel. Oh wait Hackett was his mentor so he learned from him right? Tyrod gets 3 years behind Flacco didnt he play in a game called the superbowl... maybe even was the MVP? And poor Cassel, he learned from that bum Tom Brady and the intern Billy B. EJ had top flight tutorials from yr 1 to present and has mud for brains.

Is that really gonna be your argument? He sat and learned? Seems pretty generic to me

I think cutting EJ would be really stupid at this point. He has never had real NFL coaching until this year and could already be one of the better backups in the league. I think the next two pre-season games are make or break for EJ. He needs to step up and not give the Bills coaches a choice but to keep him.

I know that we all want to talk about Tyrod and EJ (and I will too), but Cassel had a very strong outing last night. Personally I want to see Tyrod run away with this thing, but that doesn't negate the fact that Cassel looked composed and made some plays.

Now, some of the things that we keep hearing is that Tyrod runs too much, doesn't go through his progressions, takes off too soon, that it's preseason and when he's game-planned against he'll be shut down by Ds. I'd just like to point out that if the scrambling lanes are there, which they were last night, I really can't fault him for moving the chains. He saw lanes, and made plays with his legs. I cannot realistically expect him to forgo obvious positive running options for the sake of doing more to showcase his passing game. Sure, it would quell some of our curiosity about what he can do with his arm, but still - 14 points.

So I guess my end point is: just because he made plays with his legs doesn't mean he cant with his arm. That dropped TD pass + the Goodwin catch and run + the flush out of the pocket to Karlos looked very NFL starter to me. I'm confident that if teams stack the box he'll hurt them with his arm over the top.

PS: I think we will and should keep all 3 QBs.

Edited by NickelCity

I know that we all want to talk about Tyrod and EJ (and I will too), but Cassel had a very strong outing last night. Personally I want to see Tyrod run away with this thing, but that doesn't negate the fact that Cassel looked composed and made some plays.

Now, some of the things that we keep hearing is that Tyrod runs too much, doesn't go through his progressions, takes off too soon, that it's preseason and when he's game-planned against he'll be shut down by Ds. I'd just like to point out that if the scrambling lanes are there, which they were last night, I really can't fault him for moving the chains. He saw lanes, and made plays with his legs. I cannot realistically expect him to forgo obvious positive running options for the sake of doing more to showcase his passing game. Sure, it would quell some of our curiosity about what he can do with his arm, but still - 14 points.

So I guess my end point is: just because he made plays with his legs doesn't mean he cant with his arm. That dropped TD pass + the Goodwin catch and run + the flush out of the pocket to Karlos looked very NFL starter to me. I'm confident that if teams stack the box he'll hurt them with his arm over the top.

PS: I think we will and should keep all 3 QBs.

I'm not, but we shall see.

I'm not, but we shall see.

That's funny, I was about to edit the word "confident" to something a little more tempered. But I'm glad you quoted it because what's the fun moderation. I think he's better in the passing game than we're currently giving him credit for.

That's funny, I was about to edit the word "confident" to something a little more tempered. But I'm glad you quoted it because what's the fun moderation. I think he's better in the passing game than we're currently giving him credit for.

It would be great if he can hurt team's from the pocket. If so, the Bills will be damned good with him at the helm. Can he do it? dunno.gif

Roman should be the one making the QB call with input from Rex. Rex should primarily stick to what he knows best.

THat's one of the problems with Rex Ryan. He won't want to put "his defense" in bad spots, so he will want the safest guy at QB. To me, a great defense should allow you to take more risks on offense, but that won't be the way Rex will want it.

He played well but the way his ball flutters is concerning, especially when thinking about how that would affect his game come late October.