EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

Roman should be the one making the QB call with input from Rex. Rex should primarily stick to what he knows best.

26 agreed.....but dont you think that Roman probably likes Tyrod as well? He does everything Roman likes in his offense

THat's one of the problems with Rex Ryan. He won't want to put "his defense" in bad spots, so he will want the safest guy at QB. To me, a great defense should allow you to take more risks on offense, but that won't be the way Rex will want it.

HoF.....that actually does not translate to what Rex has done in the past....

Geno Smith

Buttfumble

Both guys.....not the safest qb

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if he can hurt team's from the pocket. If so, the Bills will be damned good with him at the helm. Can he do it? dunno.gif

All any of our QB's have to do is hit Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Goodwin in stride and let them get YAC. See the 28 yard pass play to Goodwin where Taylor hit Goodwin for 10 yards and let Goodwin do the rest.

It's kinda funny... Scrimmage and the first pre-season game, EJ largely looked the best. But practice reports? He's the worst player ever, and shouldn't be allowed on the football field.

It is as if people don't want to remember the scrimmage happened, a scrimmage that Rex deemed very important in the QB decision.

If you look at EJ's performance again on that scrimmage on the second play he audibles at the line and hits Harvin for a 25 yard gain. Then, later, he steps up in the pocket by avoiding the rush, in a similar fashion as last night, and he throws a TD to Bryce Brown in the red zone.

Then Roman appears on radio saying that the starting QB will be the one that can take the offense out of bad situations by knowing the playbook.

I bet EJ plays with the 2s gainst Cleveland and then Cassel follow with the 3rd group. Then EJ starts in the 3rd game.

Edited by Fixxxer

THat's one of the problems with Rex Ryan. He won't want to put "his defense" in bad spots, so he will want the safest guy at QB. To me, a great defense should allow you to take more risks on offense, but that won't be the way Rex will want it.

I completely disagree with this. Rex Ryan has a gambling personality and wants upside.

All any of our QB's have to do is hit Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Goodwin in stride and let them get YAC. See the 28 yard pass play to Goodwin where Taylor hit Goodwin for 10 yards and let Goodwin do the rest.

Just that easy......In preseason that is. :thumbsup:

This is incorrect based on Rex's past. You're letting your anti Rex bias blind you.

"In stride" is the operative word here. Not a given in light of the accuracy issues all three of our guys have shown. Although both TT and EJ were victims of poor WR hands last night.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ played well last night but at this point I still think it's down to Cassel and Tyrod. Maybe EJ can play well enough that we can get a late round pick for him instead of just cutting him and eating his salary.

Edited by Bangarang

It was good to see our QBs play well.

But let me ask... Which QB is the best at intermediate to long passes?

The old adage "You have to run the ball to open up the pass" has been turned upside down in recent years. Now you have to pass to open up the run. The better a team is throwing the ball downfield, the less guys the defense can put in the box.

Tyrod is more exciting with his legs than his arm. This brings more players into the box.

MC is better at short passes than long. This doesn't push anyone out of the box.

Could it be that EJ offers the best complement to Roman's run game?

I'm just thinking outloud.

This is what I am seeing too, however Taylor has made some deep throws too. Not so much in this game but I think he throws deep fairly well even if he does have to wind up like a pitcher to get it there. EJ on the other hand seems to just flick the ball and it goes deep down field. I was listening to a commentator talking about play action and Matt Cassel. He seemed to think that he does it as well as anyone, but I think EJ is better. He was talking about how the run game opens up the play action pass. EJ seems to be money on those deep play action passes following a run. And he does it often enough to warrant a second look and to give a defense pause. Consistency is his biggest issue. Often the consistency seems to often point to those around him, like the bad snaps and receivers dropping passes. Though even if these things happen more often when EJ is in there, that does not look good. I don't really buy into the train of thought that EJ isn't being given enough of a chance like some. I do think that he has had more bad luck. That is enough to give a coach pause. He'll still get his reps. Maybe the coach is saving him for the last couple of preseason games for a reason?

I really think EJ can be very good. Question is which QB is going to win the most games now. I don't think I can answer that just yet. If one of the QBs doesn't significantly pull ahead in this race, it's going to be a tough decision. I am just excited seeing a mix of plays being called by the OC. I'm seeing runs and passes mixed nicely and a lot more diversity than I'm used to seeing from a Bills offense. Whoever the QB is this year, I don't think we are going to have to suffer through unimaginative play calling.

Personally, I think Buffalo would squash Carolina in a regular season game with EJ or Tyrod. Although, those big receivers seemed to give our DBs some trouble. Matt seemed to be efficient until it came time to close the deal and actually score. All in all, for a preseason game, the team as a whole looked pretty good. We have some time, but the clock is ticking. Time to start separating the men from the boys.

26 agreed.....but dont you think that Roman probably likes Tyrod as well? He does everything Roman likes in his offense

HoF.....that actually does not translate to what Rex has done in the past....

Geno Smith

Buttfumble

Both guys.....not the safest qb

I completely disagree with this. Rex Ryan has a gambling personality and wants upside.

This is incorrect based on Rex's past. You're letting your anti Rex bias blind you.

We shall see.

There is no other reason to start Cassel. Geno was forced on him, and Sanchez is more along the lines that I expect... "play not to lose" on offense.

This is what I am seeing too, however Taylor has made some deep throws too. Not so much in this game but I think he throws deep fairly well even if he does have to wind up like a pitcher to get it there. EJ on the other hand seems to just flick the ball and it goes deep down field. I was listening to a commentator talking about play action and Matt Cassel. He seemed to think that he does it as well as anyone, but I think EJ is better. He was talking about how the run game opens up the play action pass. EJ seems to be money on those deep play action passes following a run. And he does it often enough to warrant a second look and to give a defense pause. Consistency is his biggest issue. Often the consistency seems to often point to those around him, like the bad snaps and receivers dropping passes. Though even if these things happen more often when EJ is in there, that does not look good. I don't really buy into the train of thought that EJ isn't being given enough of a chance like some. I do think that he has had more bad luck. That is enough to give a coach pause. He'll still get his reps. Maybe the coach is saving him for the last couple of preseason games for a reason?

I really think EJ can be very good. Question is which QB is going to win the most games now. I don't think I can answer that just yet. If one of the QBs doesn't significantly pull ahead in this race, it's going to be a tough decision. I am just excited seeing a mix of plays being called by the OC. I'm seeing runs and passes mixed nicely and a lot more diversity than I'm used to seeing from a Bills offense. Whoever the QB is this year, I don't think we are going to have to suffer through unimaginative play calling.

Personally, I think Buffalo would squash Carolina in a regular season game with EJ or Tyrod. Although, those big receivers seemed to give our DBs some trouble. Matt seemed to be efficient until it came time to close the deal and actually score. All in all, for a preseason game, the team as a whole looked pretty good. We have some time, but the clock is ticking. Time to start separating the men from the boys.

In my mind, this week of practice and the game against the Browns is it!

I'm not "anti-Rex". I am happy that he is the coach, because he is a huge improvement over the last guys. But I also know he has some flaws, and I don't believe he is up at the highest level of head coaches.

Edited by HoF Watkins

"In stride" is the operative word here. Not a given in light of the accuracy issues all three of our guys have shown. Although both TT and EJ were victims of poor WR hands last night.

GO BILLS!!!

Cassel also had that nice in stride pass to Sammy that was called back on Matthew Muttonhead's pass interference. Sammy was wide open but it was a nice ball in perfect stride nonetheless.

EJ played well last night but at this point I still think it's down to Cassel and Tyrod. Maybe EJ can play well enough that we can get a late round pick for him instead of just cutting him and eating his salary.

I think that if this team dreams of a long run in the playoffs then they should go with either Tyrod or EJ and hope that that whichever QB is chosen catches lighting in a bottle with the skilled talent.

IMO the limited Cassel will only get you 10-6 and a wildcard playoff loss. To be something special, this team needs that extra dimension of extension of plays and intangibles that both Taylor and Manuel have. Those intangibles almost always show themselves in tight fourth quarter playoffs games.

I hope that Rex will live with the bumpy ride of either Taylor or Manuel which I think will pay off come playoff time when the opposing defense doesn't know what the QB is going to do on any given play. You just don't get that with Cassel.

Edited by 1billsfan

i couldn't agrmore about the lack of arm strength. His first throw took forever and it was a five to eight yard dig. WTH

Cassels completion to Clay was almost fitz like. Looked like he pulled that arm strength from his toes. He damn near threw his shoulder out. And at that size. That shouldn't be happening

EJ sucks, he's lucky that DB let the ball go because he felt bad.

Make sure next time, you properly quote Joe B in your posts

Can't turn the EJ bus around now. We've been on this course all summer.

I'm not "anti-Rex". I am happy that he is the coach, because he is a huge improvement over the last guys. But I also know he has some flaws, and I don't believe he is up at the highest level of head coaches.

Every post you make on Rex has your "he brings a trashy environment" line of thinking attached to it -- including this one. You don't like the guy, you've been very vocal about it. Don't run from it. Your fears about Rex, that he plays not to lose, is not demonstrable at all from his past history -- yet you're clinging to it because you're looking for reasons to temper expectations about a coach you don't like.

Let it go, enjoy the ride. This team is going to win a lot of games this season. Rex will be a big reason why.

The thing about your first paragraph is if teams commit their defense to stopping TT running, we will have Watkins, Harvin, Clay, woods with single coverage and we should be able to destroy defenses with just average passing. That's the beauty of this roster.

The counter to your point is... what if he is a one read and go guy? What a the point of all the options you mentioned when he wont give them time to work?

It is as if people don't want to remember the scrimmage happened, a scrimmage that Rex deemed very important in the QB decision.

If you look at EJ's performance again on that scrimmage on the second play he audibles at the line and hits Harvin for a 25 yard gain. Then, later, he steps up in the pocket by avoiding the rush, in a similar fashion as last night, and he throws a TD to Bryce Brown in the red zone.

Then Roman appears on radio saying that the starting QB will be the one that can take the offense out of bad situations by knowing the playbook.

I bet EJ plays with the 2s gainst Cleveland and then Cassel follow with the 3rd group. Then EJ starts in the 3rd game.

EJ starting that third preseason game would be a great opportunity as that game is traditionally the best dress rehearsal for the regular season. Starters go the longest and there is a modicum of game-planning (read coaches won't breakdown and study opponent game tape). I hope Manuel gets that start.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that if this team wants dreams of a long run in the playoffs then they will should go with either Tyrod or EJ and hope that that whichever QB is chosen catches lighting in a bottle with the skilled talent.

IMO the limited Cassel will only get you 10-6 and a wildcard playoff loss. To be something special, this team needs that extra dimension of extension of plays and intangibles that both Taylor sand Manuel have. Those intangibles almost always show themselves in tight fourth quarter playoffs games.

I hope that Rex will live with the bumpy ride of either Taylor or Manuel which I think will pay off come playoff time when the opposing defense doesn't know what the QB is going to do on any given play. You just don't get that with Cassel.

I feel the same way. In one of Astro's posts he listed what Roman likes in a QB. It did not describe Cassel. The only way I would make Cassel the starter is if the other two are just horrible. At this juncture that does not seem to be the case. That being said I would keep all three.