EJ 4-8 with two drops and one scramble and bad throw

Jmsbills

Absolutely. But I have to admit this was the best outing he has had in preseason action. I'm tired of people saying preseason doesn't matter. It does and has been a pretty good barometer for the rest of the season in the last fifteen years.

EJ's time with the threes was very good. I still think there are issues with his overall game, and I'm guessing that the bad snaps between him and Kupper are shared blame, but otherwise he didn't look as out of place as he usually did.

I think that he can be a serviceable backup at the least. I'm still doubtful he can turn up the gear to win the job outright.

On ability alone, it would be crazy to cut him, but again the bigger question would be how he would handle that.

But in not as concerned about the position as I was on Friday afternoon.

Those were on Kupper. The first was at his face and the 2nd was snapped too early.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were on Kupper. The first was at his face and the 2nd was snapped too early.

I would like to know the plays on those. Neither snap was bad, but EJ didn't anticipate either snap. There was definitely miscommunication between the C and the QB. It appeared that Kupper didn't know that EJ was checking out of the plays.

Agreed. But it's hard to blame him too much, as he really isn't a center. This was a case of a guy who doesn't play center, snapping (poorly) to a guy who has maybe never worked with him (and if so, probably very little). The snaps were not "uncatchable", but hey probably surprised EJ a bit. The first snap was worse, in some ways, than the second. But the second snap looked to be too early and it looked like it was a rocket (by snap standards) and off to the side.

If Kupper was likely to play center, I might be worried, but I don't think that is in the cards. And even if he does, he should have time to practice. To me, the takeaway from the two bad snaps/mis-handles, is that EJ recoverd from them, quite nicely. Contrary to what some say, to me EJ appears to be quite calm and confident on the field.

I would like to know the plays on those. Neither snap was bad, but EJ didn't anticipate either snap. There was definitely miscommunication between the C and the QB. It appeared that Kupper didn't know that EJ was checking out of the plays.

Both were pretty bad. One was very high and the other hit him low and away. I thought he did a pretty good job of knocking the first one down and recovering it. It was both fast and high.

Agreed. But it's hard to blame him too much, as he really isn't a center. This was a case of a guy who doesn't play center, snapping (poorly) to a guy who has maybe never worked with him (and if so, probably very little). The snaps were not "uncatchable", but hey probably surprised EJ a bit. The first snap was worse, in some ways, than the second. But the second snap looked to be too early and it looked like it was a rocket (by snap standards) and off to the side.

If Kupper was likely to play center, I might be worried, but I don't think that is in the cards. And even if he does, he should have time to practice. To me, the takeaway from the two bad snaps/mis-handles, is that EJ recoverd from them, quite nicely. Contrary to what some say, to me EJ appears to be quite calm and confident on the field.

Pretty even keel on the snap topic.... You don't belong on this board.

I think that if this team dreams of a long run in the playoffs then they should go with either Tyrod or EJ and hope that that whichever QB is chosen catches lighting in a bottle with the skilled talent.

IMO the limited Cassel will only get you 10-6 and a wildcard playoff loss. To be something special, this team needs that extra dimension of extension of plays and intangibles that both Taylor and Manuel have. Those intangibles almost always show themselves in tight fourth quarter playoffs games.

I hope that Rex will live with the bumpy ride of either Taylor or Manuel which I think will pay off come playoff time when the opposing defense doesn't know what the QB is going to do on any given play. You just don't get that with Cassel.

Ill go one step further. Give EJ or Tyrod consistent reps with the ones. They wont need to catch lightening. I think we have ATLEAST that Dalton type GOOD ENOUGH player on the roster. I was thinking. Who could believe that last years number 4 over all draft pick would NOT be the face of the offense... I hope we can all agree thay this is McCoy and the offense. I say this to say. The qb we get. Whoever is the QB will not/does not NEED to be the all star face of the team. Inc McCoy is gone it will be Sammy and Sammy will hopefully be the face for 10 years. We just need a facilitator and a QB who can distribute the ball where it needs to be. I think the three we have can all do it.... but i KNOW the youngsters can do it longer.

I saw him lead a team against a good Carolina D on a game winning TD. He beat Chicago and Miami to start last year. The Chargers killed us as a team, Defense too and he was MURDERED against Texans and still was in it at the end. I'm not calling him Tom Terrific but I wish he had 1. Legitimate coaching in his first two years. 2. played all of last year and gotten the live reps. Who honestly cares that Saint Dougy of the Morons got to 9-7 last year? We would not be having this discussion had EJ played. he would have been already cut or the presumptive starter. Cassel is Orton!!!!! Cassel will always be Orton!!!! No More Effing Ortons!!!!!!

Sooooooooooo..... you dont want Orton? Lol. I share your sentiment.. i think Cassel getd my respect because he showed up. He has been here since day1. TC minicamp all the practices... he has been working. Orton was a chump. A sucky chump who set up back a year or 2

Absolutely. But I have to admit this was the best outing he has had in preseason action. I'm tired of people saying preseason doesn't matter. It does and has been a pretty good barometer for the rest of the season in the last fifteen years.

EJ's time with the threes was very good. I still think there are issues with his overall game, and I'm guessing that the bad snaps between him and Kupper are shared blame, but otherwise he didn't look as out of place as he usually did.

I think that he can be a serviceable backup at the least. I'm still doubtful he can turn up the gear to win the job outright.

On ability alone, it would be crazy to cut him, but again the bigger question would be how he would handle that.

But in not as concerned about the position as I was on Friday afternoon.

PS scores dont matter. But the game itself is so important. SOOOOOO important. You are right

GG with all due respect, the first snap was at EJ's helmet. With the padding a QB wears, that isn't as easy of a grab as a receiver would have. As a center in my youth, I know full well that I was getting yelled at if the snap was below the thighs or above the shoulders, the same should apply for a pro center as well. The second one looked like EJ making an audible and the center snapping it at the wrong time, which could have been a forgotten count or hearing something that was similar to the cadence.

Overall, I felt that cassel is Kelly Holcomb 2.0 at this point. Weak arm and has to work the field horizontally because he can't work it vertically. Tyrod is an exciting player with the potential to be a solid starter, and EJ looked capable against 3rd stringers, which he should as a former 1st round pick.

So many people want to claim that EJ is not being treated fairly.

Why is that? Why are so many fans so resistant to him being the guy?

It's easy: because we've seen him fail and look pitiful for two seasons now. One nice deep pass doesn't change that.

I was down on EJ last year and mostly still to this point. I thought he did some good things and that pass gave me a little hope. Even though it was preseason against nobody's, he looked like a pro qb should look.

Disclaimer: No horse in the race but have rooted for EJ to succeed (as probably all fans should have).

It was just one game and a relatively small sample size, but I came away impressed. I agree with what many people have said so no need to rehash those points.

But what really impressed me was the absolute lasers EJ was firing. That 51 yard TD was 50 yards in the air and an absolute dart. There was no arc on the pass. His near sideline out passes were literal bullets. EJ has a big league arm and you need that to approach any ceiling beyond mediocrity. One of the reasons EJs accuracy issues are magnified is that his passes come out so fast that if they are off target the WR often has little chance to catch up to bad passes--the ball is simply gone too fast.

I thought Cassel was nice but ran a pop gun offense. You aren't going to win in the NFL on a 7-15 yard offense predicated on quick hooks and short timing routes. Defenses will simply cheat the safeties in and box the run. Remember, we didn't play a defense that game planned for us. And I know we didn't game plan either but my concern holds.

Taylor was electric and fun to watch, but the absolute max of his style is Atlanta Vick. While that would be great, it's unlikely. And even then, you can game plan for a Qb that makes a read, maybe 2, and then runs.

I'd like to see EJ get some run with the 1s. I think he is the best choice to go with and you always have a safe or electric QB backing him up. One or two sharp practices and the media will be singing the same tune.

I reserve the right to recant this post pending performances in the next two games, lol.

Disclaimer: No horse in the race but have rooted for EJ to succeed (as probably all fans should have).

It was just one game and a relatively small sample size, but I came away impressed. I agree with what many people have said so no need to rehash those points.

But what really impressed me was the absolute lasers EJ was firing. That 51 yard TD was 50 yards in the air and an absolute dart. There was no arc on the pass. His near sideline out passes were literal bullets. EJ has a big league arm and you need that to approach any ceiling beyond mediocrity. One of the reasons EJs accuracy issues are magnified is that his passes come out so fast that if they are off target the WR often has little chance to catch up to bad passes--the ball is simply gone too fast.

I thought Cassel was nice but ran a pop gun offense. You aren't going to win in the NFL on a 7-15 yard offense predicated on quick hooks and short timing routes. Defenses will simply cheat the safeties in and box the run. Remember, we didn't play a defense that game planned for us. And I know we didn't game plan either but my concern holds.

This is how I feel too, but I have a feeling that Ryan & Roman think they are clever enough to do just that (and they might be). It's definitely not what I want to watch.

EJM's arm is pretty damn good, and I believe he can do at least as well as Cassel, but nothing about what Ryan is saying makes me think he prefers EJM. I have to think that Ryan has spoken to some of the players to get a feel for who they prefer, as well. I'm not sure that the players are fired up to play for EJM. We shall soon see.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I'd love to see EJ start the 3rd preseason game so all three QBs have a chance to work with the ones.

Unfortunately, I've heard as-of-yet unsubstantiated rumors that Rex doesn't give a pile of poop about my opinion, but I really want the QB competition to appear fair to all three guys.

I'd love to see EJ start the 3rd preseason game so all three QBs have a chance to work with the ones.

Unfortunately, I've heard as-of-yet unsubstantiated rumors that Rex doesn't give a pile of poop about my opinion, but I really want the QB competition to appear fair to all three guys.

The 3rd game is the "dress rehearsal" for the season since both teams usually play their starters into the 3rd quarter. So unless EJ is the starter for the season, I doubt he gets a start again.

I think EJ is still learning the position and the last coaching staff didn't do him any favors. Taylor had the benefit of a couple more years in the league and playing for a good coaching staff. Cassel is a veteran and should not be compared with Orton because I see him as a much better leader and teammate than Orton who was an individualist always in it for himself.

I do think at this point Taylor or Cassel should start but don't give up on EJ. It's a lot better QB situation than last year.

The 3rd game is the "dress rehearsal" for the season since both teams usually play their starters into the 3rd quarter. So unless EJ is the starter for the season, I doubt he gets a start again.

That's what everyone says, but it's not a hard and fast rule. I've seen starting QBs go a series or two or 1 quarter.

I wouldn't be surprised to see EJ start the 3rd game either. We gotta get through Thursday's game first.

Taylor was electric and fun to watch, but the absolute max of his style is Atlanta Vick. While that would be great, it's unlikely. And even then, you can game plan for a Qb that makes a read, maybe 2, and then runs.

I'd like to see EJ get some run with the 1s. I think he is the best choice to go with and you always have a safe or electric QB backing him up. One or two sharp practices and the media will be singing the same tune.

I reserve the right to recant this post pending performances in the next two games, lol.

Agreed 100%... I commented earlier about EJ's arm in that game... He was throwing bullets out there...

No matter who starts the season I hope EJ gets the chance to stay and work hard under this Coaching staff... I still see his upside as considerably higher than the other two... And I can't help but wonder where he would be if he had not walked into Marrone and the boy wonders deal...