Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

Cutting any one of the top 3 in order to keep Simms sounds ludicrous to me. Who cares if someone else might want him? He's just a guy. I'm really hoping we keep all 3 of these guys. Cassel and EJ have injury histories. TYrod hast played, so who knows? I don't want to be the Arizona Cardinals this year. They're all good enough to win games for us IMHO.

Agreed 100%.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting any one of the top 3 in order to keep Simms sounds ludicrous to me. Who cares if someone else might want him? He's just a guy. I'm really hoping we keep all 3 of these guys. Cassel and EJ have injury histories. TYrod hast played, so who knows? I don't want to be the Arizona Cardinals this year. They're all good enough to win games for us IMHO.

I don't know if it's a good reason but the reason is that Simms can play on the PS and EJ can't. So if they want to go with only two active QBs, and one gets hurt, they have a backup that knows the system. I'm sure they would like to keep EJ as the #3 but if they don't they may be able to keep a Boobie Dixon or a Thigpen or a blocking TE or a Goodwin that they may not be able to keep with the three QBs because they want 6 WR, 4 Rb, 4TEs, etc., which are all somewhat one more than normal.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think Rex wants TT as the starter with Cassel as the fall back, so I suspect that's the way they'll go into week one. Personally, I'd like to see EJ as the starter with TT getting about 1/4 of the snaps but the coaches just don't seem to think that EJ can do it. They also seem to think that TT can survive the season as a full time starter with all the running he does. He's not as bigs Kaep so we'll see. I still think we'll see all three QBs before the season is over.

I disagree, but that's fine. We shall see in about 3 weeks.

If we had a franchise QB I would be more willing to roll with 2 QB's and a PS player. Based on the fact that we don't have that sure thing, there is no reason not to keep 3. We can cut an extra running back or WR or TE. We should keep all three.

I'd love to keep the 3 QBs too, but I'd hate to cut an extra WR. There's a lot of talent there.

And I bet Roman would hate to cut an extra TE given how he likes to use TEs.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'd love to keep the 3 QBs too, but I'd hate to cut an extra WR. There's a lot of talent there.

And I bet Roman would hate to cut an extra TE given how he likes to use TEs.

Watkins

Woods

Harvin

Easley

Goodwin

Thigpen is a tough one because he is good at what he does but they have Woods and Harvin who can return punts well and Easley and Harvin can return kicks....but that is a devalued job.

And barring injury these WR's don't figure to see a ton of action together in this TE heavy offense so they are going to need the work, IMO.

I think Hogan has played himself out. On a team that throws the ball a lot he makes sense as a 4-5 but here I just don't see the value.

Thompson is a PS guy only. He has talent to develop but every team has those guys nowadays. In abundance. Showed mediocre ball skills on the end zone drop from Taylor.

Goodwin is also a bit of a tough one too. He has great big-play ability and can run some really crisp routes but I just get the feeling he isn't willing or able to do what it takes physically to be a #1-#3 type and if someone goes down that's what they would need from him because Easley can't do it.

The deep ball from Taylor the other night fell incomplete because when he passed the corner his eyes went to the safety instead of back to the QB. You can't play scared like that on an in-route let alone on a go route where you are protected by the sideline. The safety was taking a desperately wide angle trying to prevent the 6 and Goodwin helped him out.

His injury woes are a concern also. He tweaked something taking a knee on the kickoff before halftime and limped off the field. Soft tissue injuries are always going to be a concern for him I guess and attempting to stay in lean-muscle track shape probably doesn't help. The saving grace for him, IMO, is that you can have a Deonte Thompson or equivalent on the PS in the event of broken glass.

Edited by #BADOL

Watkins

Woods

Harvin

Easley

Goodwin

Thigpen is a tough one because he is good at what he does but they have Woods and Harvin who can return punts well and Easley and Harvin can return kicks....but that is a devalued job.

And barring injury these WR's don't figure to see a ton of action together in this TE heavy offense so they are going to need the work, IMO.

I think Hogan has played himself out. On a team that throws the ball a lot he makes sense as a 4-5 but here I just don't see the value.

Thompson is a PS guy only. He has talent to develop but every team has those guys nowadays. In abundance. Showed mediocre ball skills on the end zone drop from Taylor.

Goodwin is also a bit of a tough one too. He has great big-play ability and can run some really crisp routes but I just get the feeling he isn't willing or able to do what it takes physically to be a #1-#3 type and if someone goes down that's what they would need from him because Easley can't do it.

The deep ball from Taylor the other night fell incomplete because when he passed the corner his eyes went to the safety instead of back to the QB. You can't play scared like that on an in-route let alone on a go route where you are protected by the sideline. The safety was taking a desperately wide angle trying to prevent the 6 and Goodwin helped him out.

His injury woes are a concern also. He tweaked something taking a knee on the kickoff before halftime and limped off the field. Soft tissue injuries are always going to be a concern for him I guess and attempting to stay in lean-muscle track shape probably doesn't help. The saving grace for him, IMO, is that you can have a Deonte Thompson or equivalent on the PS in the event of broken glass.

No idea why there is such a strong anti-Hogan contingent on this website. Can you really picture Goodwin stepping in and being the reliable pass catcher that Hogan was last year? Not to mention, he's great on special teams. He's going to make the team. Deal with it guys.

Well BF4E is obiously is at the EJ end and Old School and guys like Kellyto83TD have had nothing but negative things to say. So it's pretty clear there are people on either end. Small sample size but like I said, most people are in the gray when it comes to the QB thing.

And sorry for naming names guys but it's true.

FWIW I have argued with the people who have said EJ has no chance. If that paints me as a winger so be it.

I have never said EJ will be great. All I have said is that I need to see more before I throw the guy out onto the curb. If that happens before September, so be it.

If this is a QB competetion for the starting job, then EJ should get his trun with the 1's in the 3rd preseason game.

oh and how could you leave the lead cheerleader Fire Chan off the "nothing but negative things to say" list?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

No idea why there is such a strong anti-Hogan contingent on this website. Can you really picture Goodwin stepping in and being the reliable pass catcher that Hogan was last year? Not to mention, he's great on special teams. He's going to make the team. Deal with it guys.

Agreed about Hogan. Most importantly, Roman is said to really like him.

No idea why there is such a strong anti-Hogan contingent on this website. Can you really picture Goodwin stepping in and being the reliable pass catcher that Hogan was last year?

This is the root of it. They aren't keeping him as a reliable pass catcher. They have an abundance of those ahead of them (McCoy, Clay, Watkins, Woods, Harvin). They are keeping Goodwin to make big plays. I think that both guys make the team though.

If one of them is going to play 8 snaps a game who will do more with those 8 snaps? IMO, it is Goodwin. If one of those top 3 receivers gets hurt and you need a guy playing 20-30 snaps a game it is Hogan. They are totally different.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Goodwin is an easy cut for me. He can't stay healthy. His hands are iffy.

But he has the ability to make 1-2 plays a game that completely alter the outcome. I think he makes the team -- not as a primary weapon, but as an extra WR for spread formations and KR.

But he has the ability to make 1-2 plays a game that completely alter the outcome. I think he makes the team -- not as a primary weapon, but as an extra WR for spread formations and KR.

I liked some comments from Lal in a recent interview. Said that because he's "fast twitch" Goodwin has to be worked differently than some of the other WRs. I wonder if that was done in the past & I wonder whether it makes a difference in 2015?

This is the root of it. They aren't keeping him as a reliable pass catcher. They have an abundance of those ahead of them (McCoy, Clay, Watkins, Woods, Harvin). They are keeping Goodwin to make big plays. I think that both guys make the team though.

If one of them is going to play 8 snaps a game who will do more with those 8 snaps? IMO, it is Goodwin. If one of those top 3 receivers gets hurt and you need a guy playing 20-30 snaps a game it is Hogan. They are totally different.

And I think that's why they both need to make the team...keep 6 WRs and go short in the backfield or at TE if needed.

I will go on record as saying I'll be very frustrated if Matthew Lee Mulligan Smith makes the team over any of Goodwin, Hogan, or Easley.

And I think that's why they both need to make the team...keep 6 WRs and go short in the backfield or at TE if needed.

I will go on record as saying I'll be very frustrated if Matthew Lee Mulligan Smith makes the team over any of Goodwin, Hogan, or Easley.

Agreed on all fronts (even though I think that Mulligan makes it). I think that Hogan & Goodwin both make it though.

I actually think that the Wynn injury may open a roster spot elsewhere (possibly Thigpen). Between Charles, Bryant, Carrington, Lawson and IK/Buchanon (one of them) they can fill that position. They can PS someone like Cedric Reed as a safety net.

I'd love to see Hogan play anywhere close to his athletic measurables and catch the ball anywhere close to his practice rep but it doesn't happen.

I think he could make a productive receiver in NE or NOLA or somewhere that just getting barely open is good enough but this isn't that type of team.

In the game the other night he dropped a Cassel pass that set up a third and long and you can't have that in a run first offense with a check down QB. Drive came up a couple yards short.

Later he was the intended target of Taylor on third down and failed to get open so Taylor ran for it and came up short of the first down.

It's frustrating because we all know his measurables say that he is explosive but on gameday he plays like a possession receiver who needs to be involved or his hands get shaky.

I'm not saying the guy is bad or that it's not possible that he makes the roster again.....he was a prohibitive favorite to do so....... but he just hasn't shown up on gamedays the previous 2 seasons and I don't know if he is as good a fit now as he was then.

As for ST's......if you want to keep him instead of Easley that's fine but in a 2 WR offense if Watkins and Woods or Harvin gets hurt I think you still want the other WR to be a guy who can stretch the field and keep teams from squatting on your run game defensively.

"I will go on record as saying I'll be very frustrated if Matthew Lee Mulligan Smith makes the team over any of Goodwin, Hogan, or Easley."

You and about 10,000 veteran season ticket holders. There was much audible complaint and mockery in the stands regarding his Lee Smith impersonation and why he was out there with the first team offense.

FWIW I have argued with the people who have said EJ has no chance. If that paints me as a winger so be it.

I have never said EJ will be great. All I have said is that I need to see more before I throw the guy out onto the curb. If that happens before September, so be it.

If this is a QB competition for the starting job, then EJ should get his turn with the 1's in the 3rd preseason game.

oh and how could you leave the lead cheerleader Fire Chan off the "nothing but negative things to say" list?

I agree. I "backed" EJ getting a chance, because it didn't seem like he really got a fair shot, and as the criticism of him became more and more contorted began to be bizarre.

Hey, Rex and Roman have a job to do - bring a winner to Western NY, plain and simple. They're the professionals, and its their jobs and reputations that are on the line. I've said it elsewhere that time is running out to pick the starter. If they pick someone other than EJ, so be it. But to ridicule the kid like some have is really piss poor IMO. It's also intellectually dishonest of the "bashers" to say all the "supporters" hate the other two/three QBs, or that we'd more invested in sticking with EJ than bein a real Bills fan. WTF?

There's still a lot of TC yet to play out, and the final cuts this year are going to be very interesting.

Go Bills!